Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Truck Check Lists

I'm currently retyping / re-inventorying the apparatus check lists so they are up to date.

Looking for any additional things that should be included. So far we've got the inventory of all the equipment, fluid levels (brake, tranny, oil, diesel, washer, etc), emergency warning device checks, appearance, tank levels (foam and water), and checkoffs for all the paperwork that should be on the apparatus.

Anything else that anyone can come up with that should be included?

Forum Member

Default truck checks

we run our pumps for at least 3min a day and check saws and fans on each truck

Make sure all tools work. IE: sawzall, hurst tool, rams, vent fans, check EMS equipment that may be on board.

Maybe check tire pressure or wtire down tire condition.

Check all warning and running lights, and siren.

Check pressure on SCBA and test them out.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Our checkout sheets incorporate all of the requirements of the CDL pre-trip inspection as specified in the California Commercial Driver Handbook. In addition to that, it also includes all the fire apparatus-specific stuff.

We actually have one sheet that's used for all vehicles. If something doesn't apply (for example, there's a whole section on aerial ladders, but only one apparatus that has one and obviously, the ambulances don't have pumps), we just mark "n/a".
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Exercise all the valves. It is not on our check sheets but it is helpful if you are not running alot of fires.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

http://www.waterousco.com/indexfaf9....iew&ANN_id=101

This is a good guide when it comes to the pumps. I hope the link works.

Forum Member

Res343cue - what kind of department do you have (volunteer, composite, fulltime)? Who does the checks? We have 8 units to check and are a composit department. Full time check the trucks weekly, volunteers check the trucks twice a week. Our sheets have the usual fluid inspections + each sheet for each truck has a list of gear and where it is (or should be ). It is a great system for keeping volunteers and new recruits up to date on where equipment is and how to use it.
    (gen sets are started, spreaders/cutters tested, pumps run, fans run, etc.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Lightbulb Truck check

Just a word of advice here guys. You might also want to add to your list to check your generators. Fire it up and make sure it is running 60 hertz. Check all of your loads and make sure they are well balanced.

I recently moved into a new neighborhood and visited the local station. They had an AMPS on their pumper. I asked them to fire it up and low and behold it was running at 52 hertz. This can cause severe damage to your electrical tools as well as your generator.

Just a word of advice, but I am seeing this happen more and more lately. Systems running too slow, but still being used. When I asked the guys at my station, they had no clue that this was incorrect. Nobody ever told them.

You should also check them for leaks, loose components that may have come loose from vibration, and air flow blockages. A dunnage area is a great place to store shovels, buckets, tarps, cones, and other "stuff". That is fine as long as you are not covering up the air intake or discharge of your generator.
    Scott Dixon<br />Director of Sales & Marketing<br />AMPS

Forum Member

Our Department Checks pretty much everything,

All Radios . All Lights (Interior and Exterior) . Siren . the 3 Horns (reg. horn, electronic horn and truck horn) . hurst equipment (Rescue) . All Tools (make sure they are there and not broken) . Extinguishers . Tire Pressure . Truck Fluids . SCBAs (Pressure , Straps) . Check for any new Damages . Saws (Run and check chains and fluids) . All other Equipment gets checked also

Bacically check every tool on the truck.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Check the rear end housing for water, the pump transfer case for moisture. Check the water fuel seperator for excessive water in the fuel. Check the specific gravity in the batteries and make sure the cells are full.

Here's one for the old timers. Check those "Chickson Swivels"
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Check the gauges to make sure they are properly working. run the pump. and check that all power tools and generators are working

Forum Member

Our checklists are set up by compartments on the truck. That way not only are the items checked, they can also be put back in the right place. A big item for me is to check the SCBAs- regulaters off, straps extended, tanks put on right, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than to grab a pack and find it not in working order!

Anyways, I've delayed posting back on this topic until I got the majority of the work done, and could work out the bugs in my new "system" for inventorying the apparatus, and then making the truck-check sheets. 35 hours into it, and only one of the apparatus is complete.

SafetyPro

Our checkout sheets incorporate all of the requirements of the CDL pre-trip inspection as specified in the California Commercial Driver Handbook. In addition to that, it also includes all the fire apparatus-specific stuff.
    Thanks for the information there. I read through that and sent the link to my Chief. I'm sure he'll want to include more of that in our truck checks.

Dave404:

Res343cue - what kind of department do you have (volunteer, composite, fulltime)? Who does the checks?
    Volunteer department that "sort of" has fulltime "volunteers". We've got a couple people that run every call, or put in hours of work for the FD every day. This summer I'll be down their for school doing an internship (Hey, I thought school was OUT during the summer?). That internship will end at around 40 hours a week, hopefully doing a 9-5 style setup.

Anyways...

For the inventory side (not your "truck check") I ended up cleaning and repainting alot of hand tools, changing chains on the saws, replacing handles on some tools, and a few other odd jobs. Ended up washing and waxing the truck too. Ran out of spray-on and rub-on wax after doing the cab and the wall of the rescue-box right behind the end of the cab. Oh well, I made a shopping list, they'll purchase it and get me more.

Anyways, the new truck sheets are going to start off with a visual inspection. Is the exterior of the apparatus clean? Is it slightly dirty, or is it completely dirt covered, and looking like it went through a mud pit?

Up next, is our liquids and pressures check. Fuel, motor oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid (if not air brakes), steering fluid, windshield wash, anti-freeze, and coolant. Check the air-tank for the airbreaks (if it has them) and record the pressure. Tire pressure on all six tires is required also. Water tank and foam tanks are included in the pump section.

Checking of the cab for proper paperwork (Title, registration, proof of insurance, municipal registration, and light permit), check for maps, the two clipboards with their EMS or Fire run paperwork. Both radio heads will be tested, as well as the portables at this time. Flashlights, the CO detector, and a couple other in cab tools will be tested and recalibrated as needed.

For the pump, the valves will be operated. The relief valve tested and then reset to the proper pressure. Checking of the guages to see if they match up with their digital counterparts will be mandatory. The link provided talked about some basic maint. for the truck. Any maint. that is done to the apparatus at this point (outside of adding oil, etc) is done by the professionals. It's covered by the warranty, so we take advantage of that.

For the compartments, a basic check to make sure equipment is there will be done. If it's not, and you find it in another compartment, move it to it's proper place. Make a list of what's missing.

For the equipment checks, that'll have to be done piece by piece. The generators, portable pumps, SCBA, etc, will all be tested for their specific functionality.
    Last edited by Res343cue; 05-29-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Thread Information