Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Fish story

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Default Big Fish story

Really, really big fish story:

Man Hooks World Record 124-Pound Catfish 3 minutes ago

ALTON, Ill. - It sounds like the sort of tale Mark Twain might have cooked up: A man fishing in the Mississippi River hauls in a blue catfish roughly the size of a sixth-grader. But this is no fish story. Early Sunday, Tim Pruitt caught a 124-pound blue catfish.

To get a sense of just how big that is, the state record holder was a mere 85 pounds and the world record holder tipped the scales at 121 pounds, 8 ounces.

Now, Pruitt, whose fish has already been weighed in the presence of a conservation police officer and measured by a biologist for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, is expected to submit documentation to the International Game Fish Association so that it can be certified a world record holder.

Once that is done, the catch should be approved as the world's largest blue catfish, replacing the current champion that was caught Jan. 16, 2004, in Lake Texoma, Texas, said Becky Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the association.

Pruitt's fish, measuring 58 inches long and 44 inches around, was swimming below the Melvin Price Lock and Dam on the Mississippi River at Alton on Saturday night when it grabbed Pruitt's line. The two struggled for more than half an hour, and at one point the fish dragged the boat carrying Pruitt, his wife and a friend before Pruitt could reel it in.

The fish has been kept alive and will be on display in a tank at the Cabela's Outfitter store in Kansas City, Kan., according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Pruitt, 33, of Godfrey, told the (Peoria) Journal Star's outdoors columnist that he considered releasing the fish in the river but decided to donate it to Cabela's "because I thought it might be neat to give people a chance to see a fish that massive
    It's a good thing he had it put on display. It would have needed a cooker the size of a bathtub and a truck load of fries.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

The beast:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

WTF. That is NOT a fish. That is a beast with gills. How the hell do you reel that in??? It's like jaws but fat and with whiskers.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

... Would've been funny if he'd thrown it back when he was done.

MMMMMMMMMM Blackened Catfish ........

Who's cookin'?
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

What is that other guy doing??!!
    IAFF

Impressive catch. Have only done salt water fishing myself, and seeing 100+ lbs ain't that big a deal. Always wanted to try some fresh water fishing....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I saw this on the news this morning before work. It looks even bigger when you see it swimming in the tank. Awesome fish.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

World Record Fish is going to make World Record Stink!

KANSAS CITY, Kan. - A record 124-pound blue catfish caught earlier this week by an Illinois man fishing in the Mississippi River died on its way to the Cabela's Outfitter store where it was to go on display.

Tim Pruitt, 33, of Godfrey, Ill., caught the world-record blue catfish early Sunday near Alton.

The fish, measuring 58 inches long and 44 inches around, was kept alive and was to be displayed in a tank at Cabela's in Kansas City, Kan., but it died en route to the store.

"We're baffled by this," Fred Cronin, a fisheries biologist for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, told The Kansas City Star. "We took a lot of precautions to see that the fish was comfortable.

"But we're talking about a fish that was very old, very heavy," he said. "The stress of being transported like that could have been too much."

ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Originally posted by ullrichk
    World Record Fish is going to make World Record Stink!

PFire must have got to it
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

That's a lot of vittles there man. Not a fish person myself, but you know that after fighting that monster for a half hour and seeing how big it was when he got it on the deck it was not going back in.

No one would have believed him, even if he had pictures.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Wonder what weight of line he used to pull that baby in? And remind me not to swim in the Mississippi.

Originally posted by Plattsfire2
    And remind me not to swim in the Mississippi.
    Yeah, who needs sharks when you have beasts like that swimming around to nibble on you.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Imagine what a surprise it would have been if he had been "noodling" instead of hook and line.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Originally posted by jsdobson
    Imagine what a surprise it would have been if he had been "noodling" instead of hook and line.

I'm wondering how many people out there in forum land don't even know what noodling is?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Originally posted by ullrichk

I'm wondering how many people out there in forum land don't even know what noodling is?
    I have a good idea of what it is, but I am not positive.

My guess is that copius amounts of adult beverages are consumed before someone has the lack on inhibition to put that in the water to bait a fish.

Originally posted by DaSharkie

I have a good idea of what it is, but I am not positive.

My guess is that copius amounts of adult beverages are consumed before someone has the lack on inhibition to put that in the water to bait a fish.
    Noodling..... That's where they just go and cram their arm into a dark hole under water and try to grab a fish and pull it out, isn't it????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I too have an idea ..........but no real answer...who is going to fill us in ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Originally posted by firenresq77

Noodling..... That's where they just go and cram their arm into a dark hole under water and try to grab a fish and pull it out, isn't it????
    We have a winner!

Apparently this is quite popular in certain circles. Definitely not in mine.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Originally posted by jsdobson
    This one time, at band camp..

Wait, no. That's not the right story.

This one time, we were fishing..

Well, a group of guys wanted to demonstrate how to "noodle" in their live well. So, since I wanted a few laughs, I went over and watched.

Idiot reached inch, and "noodles" for a (I think it was) a large mouth bass. Boy did he ever get a surprise when the fish decided it got hungry.

Thread Information