Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose Test question

About to do our yearly hose test. I just reviewed the NFPA 1962 section on hose testing and have a question. Why can you only test 300' at a time? Why not more? Does anyone know the answer?
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

You are saying that NFPA only lets you test 300' at a time? I (we) just tested 2000' of 4" all at once. Our hose tester have 5 ports and ours back lot is 225' long so each port got 200' on it. So we tested 2 groups of 1000'. I think it depends on the hose tester you are using.

Corey
    Last edited by CorreeyW; 05-25-2005 at 10:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You did it right. What I mean is each length can only be 300', you can test as many 300' lengths as you have discharges. The question is why only 300'. You are not flowing water so it is not because of friction loss. Not sure why that number. Anyone?
    B Holmes

It was believed years ago that testing over 300' would not allow all of the air to be purged from the hoseline. With todays synthetic hose that is no longer the case. Even if you have the old double jacket cotton hose just open the bail up a little longer to ensure the air is out of the line.
    IAFF

Exclamation

This was a standard as most streets in cities are 300 feet in length. Normally walking the line to see if there are any leaks of the hose is coming apart from the coupling, would be easier on short lay outs, since years ago, not many department had handi talkie radios! The Officer or member(s) would use chalk to mark the pin holes, or the coupling where the hose was pulling away. The pressure would be shut down and that section(s) would be removed.

We always used the pumper to supply the lines to be tested.

Therefore you could lay out the hose in 300 foot lengths and not extend into the intersection and disrupt traffic. Plus should a section “blow” it would be kept in the block and seen quickly.

Most companies now find a parking lot on a weekend or evening and lay it all out and test each type at once. In some districts there may be a sloping hill to do the test on and when the test is over, the nozzle is opened and the water drains quickly so you can repack it.

Just be careful doing hose testing.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I contacted NFPA several years ago regarding this same question. The answer was the committee felt that 300 feet was a managable length.

We often test our 1200'of 4" hose in a parking lot next to the station. The lot is 1500' feet long. We can lay it out, test it, and repack in less than an hour.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Thread Information