Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Raise your hands if you're na∑ive

First: Hu, what?

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    b : not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation ; also : not having previously used a particular drug (as marijuana)
    Second: well I guess I am cause never did marijuana, don't even know how to smoke a cigarette.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Can't argue with Websters.......must be the grass they're smokin' in Alabama.....
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default thanks for the answer

thanks all AND I APPRECIATE IT
    THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION ASKED IS THE ONE NOT ASKED!!!!!

Yesterday I'm driving on the interstate in the ambulance when our call requires lights and sirens(I'm with a priv. not everythings l&s).
    I NEVER run hot on an interstate. People react in very strange ways to lights/sirens and do stupid things at 30mph. Imagine the carnage that could cause at 70mph+.

Actually in Illinois emergency vehicles don't have the right to exceed the speed limit(police are an exception).
    That doesnt make much sense

Also I was taught useing lights and sirens are not giving us the right of way, but requesting for the right of way. Even supposed to stop at stop signs and red lights
    I belive you will find that to be the case in most states. I guess your partner(s) that blow red lights/stop signs dont know that they can do jail time, as well as be sued in civil court, if they hit and kill someone doing this.

I cant belive its 2005 and I'm still hearing about this stuff.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Continuing the comedy...

You know what I hate? I hate it when animals don't give us the right of way. Just the other night we were running l&s down a county road a racoon had the nerve, and i do mean the nerve, to run out in front of us. Geez louise, some animals just deserve to get hit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983

I NEVER run hot on an interstate. People react in very strange ways to lights/sirens and do stupid things at 30mph. Imagine the carnage that could cause at 70mph+.

That doesnt make much sense

I belive you will find that to be the case in most states. I guess your partner(s) that blow red lights/stop signs dont know that they can do jail time, as well as be sued in civil court, if they hit and kill someone doing this.

I cant belive its 2005 and I'm still hearing about this stuff.

There's supposed to be an ordinance IN Chicago(past along time ago) not to use sirens while on the Interstate/expressways/Lake Shore Drive/or highway routs. However if you use lights you also use sirens, always(orders from my medical director and company). Also almost every road is a highway rout , so if you go by it you wouldn't be useing L&S most of the time. CFD aslo uses L&S on them. Yeah they do act odd or ignore us, but then again we're not allowed to speed, so nothing above 55mph or lower posted speed limits. Pluss we're anticipating stupid acts. During that call I didn't exceed 45mph~lots of debris on the shoulder, even a green flowered seat cushion from a chair.

Yeah it is 2005, what would make ya think things would change? Stupid pepole bread stuipid children. As do thebigcheese's racoons.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what I hate? Fire Fighters and EMT's who are too lazy or stupid to take down a plate number, get a basic description of the operator and go to the court clerk to sign a summons. It's your right. Anyone can do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You know what I hate? Fire Fighters and EMT's who are too lazy or stupid to take down a plate number, get a basic description of the operator and go to the court clerk to sign a summons. It's your right. Anyone can do it.
    Actually I haven't heard of this before~After the fact of refusing to pull to the side or cutting an EV off.

However we have drivecams that records 10-15 secs prior and 30 secs after if 1. impact/collision occurs to our vehicle 2. sudden abrasive movements(acceleration/stopping/swerving) or 3. the panic button is pressed. they're really clear with a 360 degree veiw with audio and transmitted to our home base. There they can be copied on a disk and zoomed in on any given point.So as long as none of the three occur it doesn't record.

Asking for an(all) opinion(s):
    If the camera doesn't record because the EV driver hadles the situation with great care, should the offender still be summoned?

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't need a camera to sign a summons. Why would you? You make the observations, presumably you have a witness, you log it in the company journal or generate some other type of report (even if it is a police report) and you sign the summons. You will be responsible for testifying and providing the prosecutor with the evidence he needs to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Of course, if you have the camera, it is gravy.

That's kind of what I was thinking...very simple to take down a plate number. Just thought maybe the police elsewhere weren't as helpful on such matters as ours tend to be. But if that is not the case, not sure why more people don't do it.

Every now and again we'll get a joker who will not follow orders while we're directing traffic...local, even the county sheriff's dept. and state police have made it very clear that all we have to do is give the plate number to dispatch and the driver will be in a world of trouble. Very simple...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

However we have drivecams that records 10-15 secs prior and 30 secs after if 1. impact/collision occurs to our vehicle 2. sudden abrasive movements(acceleration/stopping/swerving) or 3. the panic button is pressed.
    I don't get the usage of the word prior. How does a camera know your going to crash 15 seconds prior to the incident.

Forum Member

If the camera knows you're going to crash 15 seconds prior, would you still crash?

By the way, my personal feelings are that it is your responsibility for everyone around you when driving lights and sirens. If the guy in front doesn't pull over, then let off the damn gas and take it easy until he does. Maybe he's an older fella who can't hear very well, or maybe even deaf. It's YOUR responsibility to be safe. There is no call in the world worth killing yourself, your crew or another innocent driver. Yeah it's frustrating, but how would you feel if you hit the car and realized it was full of kids? Take it easy behind the wheel...

I don't get the usage of the word prior. How does a camera know your going to crash 15 seconds prior to the incident.
    While I don't know anything about the DriveCam system (other than they've got some cool clips on the website), I think it is safe to assume the recorder is a digital recorder that is set up like an old analog loop system. Once an incident occurs that meets its parameters, it simply saves the segments prior and following the trigger event.

The system doesn't 'know you're about to crash', it knows you just crashed and it saves the preceeding video before it gets overwritten.

Default 15 seconds prior

I must admit I puzzled over the 15 seconds prior thisng as well. I was thinking "Why not wire that thing to a BIG red light in the cab and make accidents go away forever".

Yeah it is 2005, what would make ya think things would change? Stupid pepole bread stuipid children. As do thebigcheese's racoons.
    I guess you missed my point. I wasnt talking about the civilian drivers, I was talking about the emergency vehicle opperators who continue to blow red lights and stop signs.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

That is exactly how the DriveCam works. It is a digital recorder and always running in a loop. When one of those inputs tells it there was an "incident", it simply saves 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

In NH, lights and sirens doesn't GIVE you right of way, it only ASKS for right of way. Drive as if the lives of your brothers rely on every move you make, because thats exactly the way it is. It's not YOUR emergency until you're on scene.

You can't mitigate an incident if you never make it to an incident. Making it there is up to you, regardless of what every other person on the road is doing.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IAFF Local 4392

"From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered:
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother..."
    Shakespeare's King Henry V

The sad thing about all this, is if you look back through the archives of this site, you'll find similar discussions, however one of the really common problems discussed was emergency services not yielding for other emergency services. (ie: Fire not moving over for Police, etc)
    Luke

Thread Information