Forum Member

Post post if you hate it when people don't get out the way for fire trucks with lights on

reason i pos this is because we have had idiots who don't know how to get out the way and i wanted to see if this has happened anywheres else
    THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION ASKED IS THE ONE NOT ASKED!!!!!

Forum Member

Nope, must just be you. People pull over for us blocks ahead.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

well this is some idiot driver who in my opinion got his license from jcpenny!!!!!!!
    Last edited by joejarman; 05-25-2005 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

Please tell me he didn't turn this into a light in POV thread....

As for your question..Are you talking about a Junior Firefighter...

If so,the answer should be helllllllllll no..

Now if your talking about a new officer on the senior side of the dept..Perhaps yes...

In our area only people who have any sort of lights in POV are the Chiefs..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

No... all of our drivers are courteous pull to the right for sirens and lights on fire trucks, police cruisers and ambulances.

yeah right!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 05-25-2005 at 07:58 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Exclamation

Sounds like another poll to me.

It may be a POV light question.

NO

NO

NO

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

joejarman,

Welcome to the forums. There aren't many of us Alabama guys around so I am going to take it upon myself to offer some advice, one Heart of Dixie firefighter to another.

First, this ain't AOL Instant Messenger. When you post PLEASE try to use proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Your posts will be taken much more seriously.

Second, if you're talking about folks not yielding to fire apparatus then the answer is it happens everywhere. Sometimes, even when they yield they cause problems. Just wait until both directions of traffic stop for you - and they stop side by side on a shoulderless two lane. If you're not talking about a department vehicle (and I don't think your are), then I've got some bad news: You're probably the one breaking the law. Based on what you posted in the Volunteer forum, you seem to think Alabama volunteers are allowed to use lights in their POV. For the most part, that is not true. The Code of Alabama defines an Authorized Emergency Vehicle as:
    Such fire department vehicles, police vehicles and ambulances as are publicly owned, and such other publicly or privately owned vehicles as are designated by the Director of Public Safety or the chief of police of an incorporated city. The definition is found in Section 32-1-1.1 .

Section 32-5A-115 adds that An amber or yellow light may be installed on any vehicle or class of vehicles designated by the Director of Public Safety, but such light shall serve as a warning or caution light only, and shall not cause other vehicles to yield the right-of-way.

The long and short of it is that unless your police chief or the DPS director has recognized your vehicle as an authorized emergency vehicle, you can't legally have a light and the public is under no obligation to get out of your way.

While we're talking about Alabama, one more thing you might like to know is that state law also prohibits people under 18 from being used as firefighters. That is found in Section 25-8-43 . Volunteer or not, If you're under 18 and fighting fire then your department is breaking the law. Here is an Attorney General's Opinion that addresses the code section.

Most of what I just posted probably goes against everything you've been told by your department. I know that many, if not most, run POV lights and many let juniors fight fires. Just because everyone does it doesn't make it legal.

None of my post is meant to be a discouragement. As a junior, you are the future of the fire service but your role should be to LEARN. Take the light off your dash, show down, learn the job, and be there to lead your department ten years from now. Trust me, there will still be fires.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

GET OUT OF THE WAY WE'RE GOING TO DUNKIN DOUGHNUTS
    Maybe this is why no one pulls over for you....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yesterday I'm driving on the interstate in the ambulance when our call requires lights and sirens(I'm with a priv. not everythings l&s). Right after we switch it on and I turn on my left blinker to get to the left shoulder, some women to my left pulls up and blocks us. Did I like it? No, but it's to be expected~especially in a big city. We should not be getting road-rage.

Actually in Illinois emergency vehicles don't have the right to exceed the speed limit(police are an exception). Also I was taught useing lights and sirens are not giving us the right of way, but requesting for the right of way. Even supposed to stop at stop signs and red lights(I do just to assure no one ignores me~like another Chicagoan did during the same call.) And if you have them on your own vehicle, your supposed to drive as if you don't have them(obeying all signs, lights, and limits).
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

It happens often in our neck of the woods.
    We have also had people pass us and/or cut us off.

A good apparatus driver who drives defensively is worth his/her weight in gold (IMHO).
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by JorieH
    Even supposed to stop at stop signs and red lights
    I would think you would do this anyway....blowing red lights is asking for trouble....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dmleblanc

I would think you would do this anyway....blowing red lights is asking for trouble....
    Obviously you didn't read all the way through. I do stop, only proceeding when safe too. No, not everyone does, my partner even was telling me "just go through." And no I don't bend to peer pressure~especially when safety is involved. No point in getting into an accident, resulting in failure to provide care or foolishness causing harm to a patient. And no I do not have any extra lights on my car(only what the manufactuare installed for standards).
    Last edited by JorieH; 05-25-2005 at 10:30 PM.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by JorieH

Obviously you didn't read all the way through. I do stop, only proceeding when safe too.
    OK, that clarifies it a bit...I was wondering (although I know there are some out there who don't stop....)
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Some drivers make me wonder how they are still alive. What ****es me off is when the drivers cut off the emergency vehicles and then sue for damages from there God D** stupidity.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

We just run right over them or bump them outta the way!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dmleblanc

OK, that clarifies it a bit...I was wondering (although I know there are some out there who don't stop....)
    Not all emergency vehicle drivers stop for red lights and stop signs. I've seen it happen and know some drivers that don't stop. they seem to think "It's ok, I'm an ambulance." Generally the new cocky individuals, sometimes there are those long timers who are so confident in their capabilities. they just keep forgetting they can't control the other drivers or pedestrians.

Luckily my regular partner and I have the same idea of safety to eachother and our patient(s). *Safety first* We were just talking about this today. we're in disagreement of parking in front of a fire hydrant. He thinks it's ok, because we're an ambulance/"emercency vehicle". I don't like too, we're not a fire engine. Friendly banter, I get made fun of for it.

peace

Forum Member

JorieH, tell your partner to come park in front of one of our fire hydrants...I'd like to try my new window punch Just kidding, but the pic below...THAT'S CLASSIC!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

I don't know FireGal, it might be difficult to put 5' through the windows of an ambulance like in a low-lying car. Now, if you used the Sawz-All to cut two hole through the box...then that just might work

Sr. Information Officer

Post Raise your hands if you're naive

Main Entry: naive
    Variant(s): or nave /n-'Ev/
    Function: adjective
    Inflected Form(s): naiver; -est
    Etymology: French nave, feminine of naf, from Old French, inborn, natural, from Latin nativus native
    1 : marked by unaffected simplicity : ARTLESS, INGENUOUS
    2 a : deficient in worldly wisdom or informed judgment; especially : CREDULOUS b : not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation ; also : not having previously used a particular drug (as marijuana)
    3 : SELF-TAUGHT, PRIMITIVE
    synonym see NATURAL
    - naively or navely adverb
    - naiveness noun
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Co11FireGal
    JorieH, tell your partner to come park in front of one of our fire hydrants...I'd like to try my new window punch Just kidding, but the pic below...THAT'S CLASSIC!
    Yeah that is and always will be a classic!

And yes Chicago FD are tarritorial, but great men and women.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Raise your hands if you're naive

First: Hu, what?

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    b : not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation ; also : not having previously used a particular drug (as marijuana)
    Second: well I guess I am cause never did marijuana, don't even know how to smoke a cigarette.

Sr. Information Officer

Can't argue with Websters.......must be the grass they're smokin' in Alabama.....
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default thanks for the answer

thanks all AND I APPRECIATE IT

Forum Member

Yesterday I'm driving on the interstate in the ambulance when our call requires lights and sirens(I'm with a priv. not everythings l&s).
    I NEVER run hot on an interstate. People react in very strange ways to lights/sirens and do stupid things at 30mph. Imagine the carnage that could cause at 70mph+.

Actually in Illinois emergency vehicles don't have the right to exceed the speed limit(police are an exception).
    That doesnt make much sense

Also I was taught useing lights and sirens are not giving us the right of way, but requesting for the right of way. Even supposed to stop at stop signs and red lights
    I belive you will find that to be the case in most states. I guess your partner(s) that blow red lights/stop signs dont know that they can do jail time, as well as be sued in civil court, if they hit and kill someone doing this.

I cant belive its 2005 and I'm still hearing about this stuff.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Continuing the comedy...

You know what I hate? I hate it when animals don't give us the right of way. Just the other night we were running l&s down a county road a racoon had the nerve, and i do mean the nerve, to run out in front of us. Geez louise, some animals just deserve to get hit.

Thread Information