Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Got the 1199A update form today, Our fire department had requested 169,000 dollars for a new 2000 gallon tanker with 500 gallon per minute pump and the needed equipment to meet NFPA 1901.

As part of this grant we included money for the equipment and EVOC training so the total grant budget is 175,400 dollars. I have not been contacted by phone yet for a reduction in the project yet.

This truck will be replacing a former milktruck we use currently that is a 1978 model with a excess of 100,000 miles on it.

Based on the questions date and the response from FEMA I am guessing we should be receiving word in mid - late July on our award.

Now the fun begins in the process of searching for the right truck.

Bob Bauer
    Auburndale Joint Fire and Rescue
    Auburndale,WI

MembersZone Subscriber

Am I just paranoid, or does it seem like alot of people have got their questions and/or 1199 link? I received my questions last week, which would be my second award, and agree that in past grant years this would normally be a somewhat guarantee to an award. With the amount of people, just here on this forum, talking about receiving questions and/or 1199a link, just wondering or I guess actually more concerned that a change has occured and maybe these "signs" are not actually a "guarantee" to the award. Just a thought.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, considering each round will probably hold anywhere from 200-400 awards to eventually total up to 7,000 or so, it just seems like all of the Firehouse.com visitors that have been hanging around and gleaning information to help them with their grant are hitting the jackpot. There are new people to the forums all of the time, and some may not have ever posted before, just lurked. Hehe, lurk. Funny word.

Anyway, I just think it's a case of people being around the right place at the right time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No news ...

I'm just sitting in the background waiting to hear something about our grant. So far the only things that's happened is the update profile, which means virtually nothing. We put in to replace all SCBA on all equipment. Current equipment is 15 years old and we run over 1200 calls a year. It seems that there have been alot of awards for vehicles. Hoping they are getting those out of their system before getting on to the rest of us.

Default Grant Reductions

Ten of the departments we assited have already gotten there 1199s, and that included 3 trucks already. Looks like it will be a good year. Just as I have always taught in our seminars and consulting, your request must be "reasonable". If you go ask for a Cadillac when a Chevy will do, you get turned down or told to take a lower amount. Never rasie the "Greedy Flag" folks, remember "needy not greedy". It is a hand-up not a hand-out!

KB @ CHIEF Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I would fit into that "lurker" category, 2+ years of surfing the forums daily and only a couple posts. Makes sense, just guess it seemed to good to be true to actually get an award this early on and not have to look at my emails daily for months wondering "if".

MembersZone Subscriber

We have NOT received the 10 questions. However, we were awarded in the 2004 Fire Prevention Grant. I looked at the 1199A from the FPG Grant and today it has the award number for the 2005 Grant. Is this a good sign?

Applied for 16 SCBA and Compressor $86,000

k3twpfire, yes, if it lists reference award number with this year's grant number on your past 1199a then things are going very good and I'd say you get to go shopping. We had the same thing last year happen and were awarded. We got the same thing this year too and received the questions about 2 weeks later on June 9th. Looks like we're getting a new back-up generator for our station. We've been very fortunate and have gotten grants the past 3 years if we count this year's probable award.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent! I'll be watching my inbox.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the 10 questions today!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Either July 1st or 8th. The word is "July", and announcements are always on Fridays, so not sure if they're counting the 1stas a week of June or what. Either way they'll run successive Fridays (save Holidays) until the dough is gone.

No whammies, no whammies, Big Bucks, STOP!!

We got the questions yesterday!!! WHOO HOO!!!
    Hope to hear the good word!! COngrats to all that have recieved the questions.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the questions on 6/22/2005. We applied for a quick attack/brush unit. Any guesses about when the 1199A link will come and where it will show up? Also, what round do you think we will be in?

Thanks to all here who helped and keep helping!

Jason

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Congrats!

3rd or 4th Round, 1199A link should appear within the next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the request to "reduce" today. Guess that means we got it, just means I will have to rethink our project since I can no longer complete the original project as stated. Still happy, just a "small" change of plans. Original project TIC and mobile cascade system/mobile light trailer. Now, TIC and station mount cascade. Just have to make it work, since my public safety committe will undoubtedly give the big THUMBS DOWN to make up the $40k cut off the cascade.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Did they make the cut and say no to the trailer and you have to get the station cascade? If you applied for trailer mounted cascade, you must buy trailer mounted cascade unless told otherwise by DHS, which would be a new venture on their part, they've never done that before.

Don't know what price you're working with but one of my clients got a cascade/light trailer for $65K. Others have mentioned prices around these forums before, some starting at $35K or so. Can't remember exactly.

MembersZone Subscriber

They did not direct me from a trailer mount to a station mount, however with a reduction from $83,500 (Scott Liberty II) to $40,000, I will probably do a budget request to DHS for a station mount unless I can find something of good quality in that price range for a mobile system. Since I just opened the email tonight, I will have to do some more exploring on the subject, the first being a request of my municipality to make up the difference. I should have better explained myself, my bad. Just read it, happened to be on the forum next, and probably posted without a great deal of thought on my part.

Forum Member

Todd
    I think after you do some shopping you are going to find out you can get in ALOT cheaper on your Cascade..
    I'm having a local welding shop that fabs trailors build us an enclosed trailer. I sent him pics of the ones already built by some of the main "players" in the mobile air industry. He can build us a double axle enclosed trailer with our new cascade and new Class 2 air filling station mounted securely (sp) for around $3500... thats thirty five hundred dollars..not THOUSAND.. He is going to weld our extra BAC racks in and also weld our walk away SCBA brackets if thats what we want. He is going to put doors where we want, etc..
    I kinda did the math.. I checked on the prices of "Mobile Air Trailors" already built. The prices were from $40-$78,000.
    Now..for about 23K you can buy all the "stuff" inside.. so someones getting filthy rich building trailors and puttin some fancy paint job on them.. thats just my opinion..I understand this is America and we all want to make as much $$ as we can.. but do organizations that protect live and do public service need to get raped?.. I dont think so..

Default Make it work!

I would also echo that sentiment about pursuing the mobile system. If your grant said "mobile" that is what you have to do. Fabricating your own custom trailer is an excellent option, as long as it meets all the specifications you put in your orginal application. The great thing about what he was telling you on fabricating your own is that, if you are able tio realize the cost savings, with permission you willbe able to utilize the remaining funds ( up to $5k) forother equipment in the same catagory. Notice though I did say, egt permission from USFA first beofre expending extra funds.

MembersZone Subscriber

The grant says mobile, and I will pursue mobile unless DHS will approve a change. As far as build your own, I agree that it is much cheaper. However, part of that price you pay is for the manufacturer to assume liability for the product, not you. I have quite a bit of experience with grants, being involved in the process for over 15 years with police, fire and EMA. I have found that in most instances, if you feel that you need a change in your project that is both feasible and functional without changing the entire scope of the project, that most granting agencies will work with you. At this point, I am still talking to be talking I guess, being a weekend I have had no opportunity to do any additional price shopping or "begging" for any additional money. I may find what I am looking for in the price range I have to work with without changing the project, if not I will try to make changes, the worst they can tell me is no and I will have to step back, rethink and probably come to these forums for some more new ideas.
    Todd

Thread Information