+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I would fit into that "lurker" category, 2+ years of surfing the forums daily and only a couple posts. Makes sense, just guess it seemed to good to be true to actually get an award this early on and not have to look at my emails daily for months wondering "if".

MembersZone Subscriber

We have NOT received the 10 questions. However, we were awarded in the 2004 Fire Prevention Grant. I looked at the 1199A from the FPG Grant and today it has the award number for the 2005 Grant. Is this a good sign?

Applied for 16 SCBA and Compressor $86,000

Forum Member

k3twpfire, yes, if it lists reference award number with this year's grant number on your past 1199a then things are going very good and I'd say you get to go shopping. We had the same thing last year happen and were awarded. We got the same thing this year too and received the questions about 2 weeks later on June 9th. Looks like we're getting a new back-up generator for our station. We've been very fortunate and have gotten grants the past 3 years if we count this year's probable award.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent! I'll be watching my inbox.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the 10 questions today!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Either July 1st or 8th. The word is "July", and announcements are always on Fridays, so not sure if they're counting the 1stas a week of June or what. Either way they'll run successive Fridays (save Holidays) until the dough is gone.

No whammies, no whammies, Big Bucks, STOP!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We got the questions yesterday!!! WHOO HOO!!!
    Hope to hear the good word!! COngrats to all that have recieved the questions.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the questions on 6/22/2005. We applied for a quick attack/brush unit. Any guesses about when the 1199A link will come and where it will show up? Also, what round do you think we will be in?

Thanks to all here who helped and keep helping!

Jason

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Congrats!

3rd or 4th Round, 1199A link should appear within the next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got the request to "reduce" today. Guess that means we got it, just means I will have to rethink our project since I can no longer complete the original project as stated. Still happy, just a "small" change of plans. Original project TIC and mobile cascade system/mobile light trailer. Now, TIC and station mount cascade. Just have to make it work, since my public safety committe will undoubtedly give the big THUMBS DOWN to make up the $40k cut off the cascade.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Did they make the cut and say no to the trailer and you have to get the station cascade? If you applied for trailer mounted cascade, you must buy trailer mounted cascade unless told otherwise by DHS, which would be a new venture on their part, they've never done that before.

Don't know what price you're working with but one of my clients got a cascade/light trailer for $65K. Others have mentioned prices around these forums before, some starting at $35K or so. Can't remember exactly.

MembersZone Subscriber

They did not direct me from a trailer mount to a station mount, however with a reduction from $83,500 (Scott Liberty II) to $40,000, I will probably do a budget request to DHS for a station mount unless I can find something of good quality in that price range for a mobile system. Since I just opened the email tonight, I will have to do some more exploring on the subject, the first being a request of my municipality to make up the difference. I should have better explained myself, my bad. Just read it, happened to be on the forum next, and probably posted without a great deal of thought on my part.

Forum Member

Todd
    I think after you do some shopping you are going to find out you can get in ALOT cheaper on your Cascade..
    I'm having a local welding shop that fabs trailors build us an enclosed trailer. I sent him pics of the ones already built by some of the main "players" in the mobile air industry. He can build us a double axle enclosed trailer with our new cascade and new Class 2 air filling station mounted securely (sp) for around $3500... thats thirty five hundred dollars..not THOUSAND.. He is going to weld our extra BAC racks in and also weld our walk away SCBA brackets if thats what we want. He is going to put doors where we want, etc..
    I kinda did the math.. I checked on the prices of "Mobile Air Trailors" already built. The prices were from $40-$78,000.
    Now..for about 23K you can buy all the "stuff" inside.. so someones getting filthy rich building trailors and puttin some fancy paint job on them.. thats just my opinion..I understand this is America and we all want to make as much $$ as we can.. but do organizations that protect live and do public service need to get raped?.. I dont think so..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Make it work!

I would also echo that sentiment about pursuing the mobile system. If your grant said "mobile" that is what you have to do. Fabricating your own custom trailer is an excellent option, as long as it meets all the specifications you put in your orginal application. The great thing about what he was telling you on fabricating your own is that, if you are able tio realize the cost savings, with permission you willbe able to utilize the remaining funds ( up to $5k) forother equipment in the same catagory. Notice though I did say, egt permission from USFA first beofre expending extra funds.

MembersZone Subscriber

The grant says mobile, and I will pursue mobile unless DHS will approve a change. As far as build your own, I agree that it is much cheaper. However, part of that price you pay is for the manufacturer to assume liability for the product, not you. I have quite a bit of experience with grants, being involved in the process for over 15 years with police, fire and EMA. I have found that in most instances, if you feel that you need a change in your project that is both feasible and functional without changing the entire scope of the project, that most granting agencies will work with you. At this point, I am still talking to be talking I guess, being a weekend I have had no opportunity to do any additional price shopping or "begging" for any additional money. I may find what I am looking for in the price range I have to work with without changing the project, if not I will try to make changes, the worst they can tell me is no and I will have to step back, rethink and probably come to these forums for some more new ideas.
    Todd

Forum Member

I put in for 22,500 for a mobile fill station.. I have quotes for the entire system around 20,000. I'm going to try to see if I can use the 2500 left to go toward the 3500 dollar trailer.. hope they let me.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Todd, well worth the phone call, but I don't see them changing because of the nature of this grant program. Check the first line of my current article: "The Assistance to Firefighters Grant program was unlike any other that had been developed previously in that it would be a competitive program".

Your score was based on the increased cost-benefit of proposing a trailer mounted unit. So by going back to a station mounted, the regional cost-benefit decreases because now you can't drag it to a mutual aid incident, let alone your own (meaning lower score in peer review). Having re-written several station cascade denials into trailer mounted awards with no other changes, plus the general feedback that mobile is obviously a better use of the funds, I can say that with 99.9%** accuracy. Hidden deep in the actual Interim Rule (i.e. the law that created the program) is verbage that says no changes in project items after award, just changes in amounts awarded, because as I said, your score was based on the project in the application. Change the project, change the score, so it is quite feasible that you might have been denied if you applied for a station mounted system. It's worth a shot, like you said, they can just say no, but might as well check around for other make units. Someone else said they got a price under $40K from a dealer. I can't remember who for the life of me.

Either way, keep us posted, always interesting to see new situations arise and find out the resolution.

**.01 is missing because we are dealing with the government after all.

MembersZone Subscriber

You may indeed be correct, matter of fact, you are more than likely correct. Another option I may throw at them is mounting it in a new squad versus a trailer, definately still mobile. I'll work on the powers to be on Monday and see if they want to fund the difference, if not start seeking additional product sources and the final option will be trying a change after awarded. Thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted. If all went as planned it would be just too easy.
    Todd

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently purchased a mobile cascade system.... 6 --- 6 k bottles, powder coated rack, stainless steel piping, gauges, lights, and a single station boom box for filling.. Bid was 13,000 delivered. It weighs 1900 lbs. We mounted ours in the rear of a 1 ton pickup and put a commercial style cover over it. Really works well for us and we have less than 15 grand in it all.

This is mounted on a skid type rack, we were originally gonna place in a trailer, but being we are trailer poor already, Dive, Rescue, and Haz-Mat, why add a burden of another trailer. Now when we go on a haz mat or dive rescue we have the cascade with us without having to drag an additional trailer.

Works well for us. Email me and I'll get you a copy of our specs id you are interested in them or even send you some pics.

http://www.americanairworks.com/cas-mobile.html

The cart itself looks similar to this one, but yet a lot different.

Steve

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got 1199A form

We got the 1199A form on the 21st. Also got the ten questions on the 22nd. Hope this is good news for us. Buying 25 sets of turnouts and 15 SCBA's. This is the third grant we put in for.We haven't recieved anything in the past. Keeping our fingers crossed.

MembersZone Subscriber

We received our 1199A on June 17th. We put in for 30 SCBA's with spare cylinders, 20 extra masks besides the ones that come with each, and 2 RIT packs.

Forum Member

Talking YEE-HAWW

Got the Questions today, the 1199a link in the 04 Grant was field in with the New ref. number. I hope this is very good news.

Shopping for a new Tanker/Tender, old one is 21 years old this year.

Forum Member

I ended up writing two grants this year. The first was for a regional project where about 25 different departments went together for communications equipment with one department hosting the grant application. The total on that one was close to $650,000. Got the questions and the 1199A on it about a month ago. Was pretty ecstatic over that, and then last night I got the questions for the grant I wrote for my home department to replace our current SCBA program. All new SCBA, spare bottles, individual face peices, mobile fill station for the truck, new fill station for the fire house, new walk away brackets (switching from 2216 Dragar to 4500 30 min bottle Scotts), and finally the fit test equipment. All together that one was almost $110,000. Plus, we're still waiting to spend the $46,000 for the Fire Prevention Grant that was awarded in May of this year towards the purchase of a new fire safety house. I've only written 3 grants so far (all of them being within the past year) and so far I feel like I'm batting a 1000. I'd feel a lot better if they would come out and announce the first round already. I know I'm going to be a busy boy trying to administer 3 different grants though, but somehow I think that is a headache that I would gladly take on. Good luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Busy Boy

Well there NOT2L84U2 you go! And congrats....

Forum Member

Thumbs up Shopping list

I am surprised that it is taking so long for the awards to begin. Last year they began on or about June 4.

Anyway, I received the questions email on Monday, July 11 that also requested that I submit a letter of determination whether or not my station is within a floodplain since we are doing a building modification.

I received another email Friday, July 15 stating that they would fund $1200 for turnout coat/pants instead of the original $1500 I appropriated in the application. They wanted a reply if we would accept the adjustment....of course my answer was yes.

If awarded, this will be the third time getting funding through DHS
    2003: $230,000 for pumper/tanker; 2004: $14,000 for fire prevention

This year will be in the following areas: Building Modification {$9,300}; Training {$13,200}; PPE {$72,880}; Equipment {$44,342}
    for a total of $139,722 for the following shopping list:

Complete set of rescue equipment {spreader, cutter, combi tool, ram, portable power unit, 2 reels with 100' hose, 30' portable hose, electric power unit, 6 point cribbing kit}, 20 complete sets of protective clothing {pants/coat, boots, helmet, hood, gloves}, 20 complete sets of wildfire/extrication jumpsuits and gloves, RIT pack, AED, 25kw generator for the station, air rescue chisel kit, crash kit, 6 SCBA with spare bottles, hose washer, hose tester, EMT training for 12, hose clamp, cordless/fuelless ventilation/forcible entry saws.

If anyone would like to talk about your narratives for a successful grant email me at tprjim1@yahoo.com. I am very successful in grant writing as I have been able to secure nearly $1,000,000 in grant funding for my department and township since 1997. I will give you tips that will secure funding for your department and give you info on other grant oppurtunities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information