Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

I put in for 22,500 for a mobile fill station.. I have quotes for the entire system around 20,000. I'm going to try to see if I can use the 2500 left to go toward the 3500 dollar trailer.. hope they let me.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Todd, well worth the phone call, but I don't see them changing because of the nature of this grant program. Check the first line of my current article: "The Assistance to Firefighters Grant program was unlike any other that had been developed previously in that it would be a competitive program".

Your score was based on the increased cost-benefit of proposing a trailer mounted unit. So by going back to a station mounted, the regional cost-benefit decreases because now you can't drag it to a mutual aid incident, let alone your own (meaning lower score in peer review). Having re-written several station cascade denials into trailer mounted awards with no other changes, plus the general feedback that mobile is obviously a better use of the funds, I can say that with 99.9%** accuracy. Hidden deep in the actual Interim Rule (i.e. the law that created the program) is verbage that says no changes in project items after award, just changes in amounts awarded, because as I said, your score was based on the project in the application. Change the project, change the score, so it is quite feasible that you might have been denied if you applied for a station mounted system. It's worth a shot, like you said, they can just say no, but might as well check around for other make units. Someone else said they got a price under $40K from a dealer. I can't remember who for the life of me.

Either way, keep us posted, always interesting to see new situations arise and find out the resolution.

**.01 is missing because we are dealing with the government after all.

MembersZone Subscriber

You may indeed be correct, matter of fact, you are more than likely correct. Another option I may throw at them is mounting it in a new squad versus a trailer, definately still mobile. I'll work on the powers to be on Monday and see if they want to fund the difference, if not start seeking additional product sources and the final option will be trying a change after awarded. Thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted. If all went as planned it would be just too easy.
    Todd

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently purchased a mobile cascade system.... 6 --- 6 k bottles, powder coated rack, stainless steel piping, gauges, lights, and a single station boom box for filling.. Bid was 13,000 delivered. It weighs 1900 lbs. We mounted ours in the rear of a 1 ton pickup and put a commercial style cover over it. Really works well for us and we have less than 15 grand in it all.

This is mounted on a skid type rack, we were originally gonna place in a trailer, but being we are trailer poor already, Dive, Rescue, and Haz-Mat, why add a burden of another trailer. Now when we go on a haz mat or dive rescue we have the cascade with us without having to drag an additional trailer.

Works well for us. Email me and I'll get you a copy of our specs id you are interested in them or even send you some pics.

http://www.americanairworks.com/cas-mobile.html

The cart itself looks similar to this one, but yet a lot different.

Steve

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got 1199A form

We got the 1199A form on the 21st. Also got the ten questions on the 22nd. Hope this is good news for us. Buying 25 sets of turnouts and 15 SCBA's. This is the third grant we put in for.We haven't recieved anything in the past. Keeping our fingers crossed.

MembersZone Subscriber

We received our 1199A on June 17th. We put in for 30 SCBA's with spare cylinders, 20 extra masks besides the ones that come with each, and 2 RIT packs.

Forum Member

Talking YEE-HAWW

Got the Questions today, the 1199a link in the 04 Grant was field in with the New ref. number. I hope this is very good news.

Shopping for a new Tanker/Tender, old one is 21 years old this year.

I ended up writing two grants this year. The first was for a regional project where about 25 different departments went together for communications equipment with one department hosting the grant application. The total on that one was close to $650,000. Got the questions and the 1199A on it about a month ago. Was pretty ecstatic over that, and then last night I got the questions for the grant I wrote for my home department to replace our current SCBA program. All new SCBA, spare bottles, individual face peices, mobile fill station for the truck, new fill station for the fire house, new walk away brackets (switching from 2216 Dragar to 4500 30 min bottle Scotts), and finally the fit test equipment. All together that one was almost $110,000. Plus, we're still waiting to spend the $46,000 for the Fire Prevention Grant that was awarded in May of this year towards the purchase of a new fire safety house. I've only written 3 grants so far (all of them being within the past year) and so far I feel like I'm batting a 1000. I'd feel a lot better if they would come out and announce the first round already. I know I'm going to be a busy boy trying to administer 3 different grants though, but somehow I think that is a headache that I would gladly take on. Good luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Busy Boy

Well there NOT2L84U2 you go! And congrats....

Forum Member

Thumbs up Shopping list

I am surprised that it is taking so long for the awards to begin. Last year they began on or about June 4.

Anyway, I received the questions email on Monday, July 11 that also requested that I submit a letter of determination whether or not my station is within a floodplain since we are doing a building modification.

I received another email Friday, July 15 stating that they would fund $1200 for turnout coat/pants instead of the original $1500 I appropriated in the application. They wanted a reply if we would accept the adjustment....of course my answer was yes.

If awarded, this will be the third time getting funding through DHS
    2003: $230,000 for pumper/tanker; 2004: $14,000 for fire prevention

This year will be in the following areas: Building Modification {$9,300}; Training {$13,200}; PPE {$72,880}; Equipment {$44,342}
    for a total of $139,722 for the following shopping list:

Complete set of rescue equipment {spreader, cutter, combi tool, ram, portable power unit, 2 reels with 100' hose, 30' portable hose, electric power unit, 6 point cribbing kit}, 20 complete sets of protective clothing {pants/coat, boots, helmet, hood, gloves}, 20 complete sets of wildfire/extrication jumpsuits and gloves, RIT pack, AED, 25kw generator for the station, air rescue chisel kit, crash kit, 6 SCBA with spare bottles, hose washer, hose tester, EMT training for 12, hose clamp, cordless/fuelless ventilation/forcible entry saws.

If anyone would like to talk about your narratives for a successful grant email me at tprjim1@yahoo.com. I am very successful in grant writing as I have been able to secure nearly $1,000,000 in grant funding for my department and township since 1997. I will give you tips that will secure funding for your department and give you info on other grant oppurtunities.

Forum Member

I received an e-mail today telling me to check the website and complete the 1199a. I hope this means good news. We have not received funding before and this is my first time writing this grant. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Default Regional Grant

Not2L84U2

We as well received the questions and 1199A for a regional grant. In our case 28 fire and 3 EMS agencies combined for communications equipment....pagers, mobile radios, handheld radios,and mountain top reapeaters.... $973,056. It is apparent that they really like the applications which provide for "interoperability"

Good Luck to everyone and Let the Games Begin.

Tom

Originally posted by BARNY750
    I received an e-mail today telling me to check the website and complete the 1199a.
    Congratulations...but you really received an e-mail on a Sunday?

For those who are getting "Questions" for your radio equipment grants, I was told by a little birdie that applications involving communications equipment got a special stamp this year. Hope it's true; I applied for radios for all our personnel.

Post SYFIRE

Wow, and I was happy about almost $650,000 for 21 different departments. We are switching to narrow band and so ever department must replace pagers. Plus we are upgrading some portables, mobiles, base stations, dispatch center equipment, and adding a county wide repeater system. Anyone ever have to go through an audit because of a grant? What does it consist of? What should we be prepared for?

Congrats again SYFIRE

Forum Member

Default Not2L84U2

You should be EXTREMELY proud of your accomplishment!!!

As far as an audit, Iam told that anything after $300K requires one. I budgeted the audit cost of $5,000 within the narrative. The audit as I understand it is thru OMB.

We have received three previous grants and were "pre-audited" on one. Basically it was a check to see if all the paper work was at hand. Everything is available in the rules when you receive the awards.

Hope this helps some.

Tom

Forum Member

Unhappy

Three years and waiting.................

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Not2L84U2

Originally posted by SYFIRE
    You should be EXTREMELY proud of your accomplishment!!!

As far as an audit, Iam told that anything after $300K requires one. I budgeted the audit cost of $5,000 within the narrative. The audit as I understand it is thru OMB.

Tom
    Fed regs used to require full/formal audit when any FY totaled more than $300K (sum of all/any programs your agency/juristiction/etc may be involved in). Recently changed to $500K. So check with your treasurer; CDBG, USDA, etc etc etc. My understanding is the Fire Grant guys like many agencies do reviews on their own standards and for their own purposes. For example Monday my town had a financial review of a $80K sanitary sewer CDBG. (A total BS waste of a considerable about of time. The 15" stack of paperwork makes one appreciate the Fire Grant guys).

Forum Member

Default Audit

Neiowa

Thanks for the heads up. I factored in the OMB audit into the narrative as well as in the budget request.

Looking forward to the audit

Thanx again

Tom

Question Audit

SYFIRE

Does OMB charge for the audit? If so, any idea how much? We didn't budget for the audit and I'm not really sure what to expect. We are in the process of putting together a notebook to include every peice of paper that we have in regards to this grant application, but am still unclear on why we would need money if they are the ones coming to perform the audit. You mean we have to pay them to come perform an audit that they are mandating? Just doesn't seem like it makes much sense.

Forum Member

On page 31 of the 2005 Program Guidance Document it discusses the audit. I believe that in the powerpoint presentation is where I first saw the requirements for the audit as well. And in that presentation it spoke of a $5K cost of an OMB audit for grants over $500K.

Using that info I wrote the narrative and budgeted that amount into the grant proposal.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Tom

Thread Information