MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Suprise

We just got our 1199a for a grant we applied for in the 2004 round. Back in Feb. we got a semi Dear John letter that staed any left over monies will be awarded in Sept.

Grant was for exaust removal in all of our 3 stations and a washer and dryer for our turnouts.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Got the 10 questions today

Yipee - finally replacing 1972 tanker!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Got our questions today as well. 1199a had an award number for several days already. Should be reason enough to start shopping.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Whoa, partner!

Whoa there guy! I would not be ordering anything ,until you have the " Official Award Notification Letter" in your hand. Maybe shopping prices but, definitley do not order until you have that document in hand, or it could come back to bite you.

There is language in the RFP which clearly states that if you order or buy anything prior to your award (and that means the official notice), it may not,and you should read that to mean will not, be eligible for expenditure of the grant money.

Cool your jets a little while longer. You have some good "preliminary" indicators of getting an award but, you don't have it until the official awards are announced. You can plan the party, just don't invite the guests just yet! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, for Pete's sake, shopping doesn't mean buying. You should know as well as anybody that it takes a while to figure out what you want in a truck. Shopping around will just help have everthing ready when the award does finally come.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

OK Jack don't get so excited, remember I post for the benfit of all who may not "understand" your definition of shopping. I don't know about you but, when my wife says she is going shopping , I start trembling! Shopping to her is not "looking", it is "putting down the plastic". LOL!!!!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Point well made, Kurt!!!!

BAClair

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well now let's be fair. While our wives may seem like they're in the Cavalry, running through the stores yelling "Charge!", don't tell me no one around here hasn't dropped a paycheck or two in Sears or Home Depot...

MembersZone Subscriber

...or Lowe's or Chief Supply. Just to name a few of several!!

Thanks for the info folks, i'm learning much while we wait for The Questions to appear.

Earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Well guys, to be honest my big toy store is Outdoor World and Cabelas, my wife intentionally throws out there catalogues when she intercepts the mail!! She keeps asking me "how many guns do you have to own, and I always counter with, "how many more shelves do I need to build fin your closet for your shoeboxes?"Oh, and lets not forget Dixiechicknc, you better not say a word, or I will tell about your "shoe expeditions". LOL!!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,
    I was going to just keep quiet....LOL...Yes, I have a bazillion pairs of shoes. Am trying to be good. (or better) My rational is shoe size is one thing that NEVER changes.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

Not to get off the fun subject of impulse shopping (!) but I was wondering. For those of you lucky enough to get your questions and 1199's, how long did you wait until you told the rest of the department that you were going truck shopping? No news here yet, but still hopeful.

BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

4caster, why wait? I'm telling everybody I see! Hey, I'm shopping!
    Good luck on your app. It'd be great to see some more flatlanders celebrating.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

4caster, that is up to you. I usually tell my clients to share that you have recieved indications that point to the fact, that you will be getting an award. With what you have recieved, I would say you are about 99% right now but, and others will bear me out, "till the fat lady sings", it ain't over, till its over!

" Looks real good for us; The Eagle is on final apporach, 99% sure" ,are all phrases that come to mind and still leave you an out if something goes wrong. In case you can't tell, this business has taught me to absolutely count on Murphy's Law! Certainly not trying to spoil it for you, you have every reason to be celebrating right now, as rightfully you should. Like I said, I might be planning the guest list to the party now but, I would not be sending out the invitations just yet.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-09-2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Spell Check
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Updated 1199A

We actually received our "10 questions" on June 16th! Thanks to Kurts information we recently checked our updated 1199A form which listed our award for the 2005 grant. We have now been successful three out of four years. Year one was $50,000 for turnout gear and PASS devices, year two was $20,000 for an updated training package. This year were looking at $452,000 to replace our 1977 aerial ladder. We are counting our blessings and appreciate the advice and encouragement that everyone in here has offered.

MembersZone Subscriber

Recieved the 10 questions Aug. 8th. Looking at a new brush unit.

Forum Member

I finally told the department, so it is official; we got our questions and updated 1199 last week!!! A new pumper to go into the new firehouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jboczek, you and I got our questions and grants last year together as well. How coincidental. Last Monday, right?

And I know, only preliminary, but the truck committee has been created, and informed that there is no guarantee, but it looks good.

The rest of you, keep you head up. I know that sounds trite, but, 600 million goes a long way.

BAClair

Forum Member

Great job to all that are in the mix, and even for those that applied again, and again, and again, and seem not to get any where but the refusal line.

Not trying to steal anyones thunder, but I still can not see how departments receive monies 2-3-4 years in a row and others still get nothing.

Rant mode off! I will quit beating the horse now.

STILL DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!

Forum Member

DHS, Department of Homeyland Santa has landed at our house. Never got the Questions, just the 1199A and a call from our Congressman. Very different than 2003 with FEMA.

Good luck all, I am going out for a drink....

Forum Member

If you're upset about not getting awarded multiple years in a row, it's time to change up. I applied for 4 years for apparatus - rejection, rejection, rejection, CHANGE - Approval. There's plenty of good people here to help you out...even for free.

I'm finding that tons of apparatus grants are being worked on (as we knew they want to get alot out in early rounds), but not seeing many people getting 1199A's and 10Qs for other stuff. Is it just my imagination?

I applied for TOG, TICs, Exhaust Systems, Portable Radios, a Compressor, and Training Equipment this year. It was alot to ask for, but we need it all. Has anyone been successful in getting 1199's or Q's for anything like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by usmsmedic
    DHS, Department of Homeyland Santa has landed at our house. Never got the Questions, just the 1199A and a call from our Congressman. Very different than 2003 with FEMA.

Good luck all, I am going out for a drink....
    When did you get the call from the Congressman....?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420
    I applied for TOG, TICs, Exhaust Systems, Portable Radios, a Compressor, and Training Equipment this year. It was alot to ask for, but we need it all. Has anyone been successful in getting 1199's or Q's for anything like this?
    Yes.

Got the first round of 10 Q's (Actually 8 Multi Part Q's) on 11-July
    '05 Grant # on 1199A form from previous grant when checked same day.
    Second round of 10 Q's with request to cut funding on 5-Aug

The portion of the project that was cut was on TOG. I asked for 25 Complete sets(Incl. helmet, boots, gloves, etc) @ $2,600 each. We were cut to 20 Sets @ $2,000 each. Everything else I requested was funded. Although we "lost" $25,000 in total funding, we are so not heartbroken about this cut.

The remainder of the grant included several misc. hose adapters & reducers, a couple of wye's, a Siamese, 2 folding drop tanks (New Rol-La-Tanks) and hose supports,2 floating strainers, 2 PPV Fans, hand lights for everyone, misc Hooligan bars, couple of TNT Denver tools, a K-12 saw kit, 4 sets of pop-up cones, and a "Little Giant" ladder.

Total revised cost - $58,863 - AFG portion $55,920

All in all we are extremely happy to get anything.

My best wishes of good luck to those still waiting to hear something.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 4caster
    I finally told the department, so it is official; we got our questions and updated 1199 last week!!! A new pumper to go into the new firehouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jboczek, you and I got our questions and grants last year together as well. How coincidental. Last Monday, right? BAClair
    I'm not sure if this is relative to your situation, but this post concerns me in regards to some who have recieved apparatus q's and 1199's. This is the first time I've heard of something like this.....
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=72718

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Still working on helping them find the answers to that situation. And if that fails, I'll get my own from DHS.

Forum Member

ameryfd, I emphatically stated to the department that even though it looks good, things happen, and I quoted that example. My dad (trustee pres.) and I have had the same mind set; great news, but show me the money first. With that said, I still see no reason to start the committee and get the completed spec so that when (or if) the money comes, it can be ordered immediately. The local reps understand that fact and are willing to work with you in spite of it. Just my rambling thoughts.
    BAClair

Thread Information