Forum Member

Default Preparing for Academy: Need tips for training

Hey guys,

I'm going to fire academy this fall, and at the moment I weigh in at 135 pounds at 20 years old. So yeah I'm a little skinny at the moment, but I'm about to fix that. I'm first going to start getting up much earlier in the day (4:30 a.m.) and run a mile everyday.

Next up is calesthetics. I can already get up and do 10-20 pullups, but I'm going to try and improve on that as well. I certainly need to improve on pushups. I don't know why I don't do more of those and I think I'm just ****ed off enough about that to get better at it.

And then we have weight-training. What I'd actually like to see is a book on this subject that I could pick up and read (even before I head back to school), one that says how muscles work and how to really build them up. Anyone know of something like that? I'm willing to buy it online if it comes to that.

Besides that, does anyone have some general tips on weight-training, routines, etc.? Heck, I'll just ask what your program is for this and see what comes up.

I'm looking forward to what you all have to say on this, because I definitely need the encouragement if nothing else. I'll get it though (because I have to).

Take 'er easy,
    Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm happy to see that you're interested in not only training but actually learning about the subject! There are plenty of great resources on the internet. If you're looking for books, check out humankinetics.com. It's a publisher with lots of various topics from strength training, sport psychology, athletic training, bodybuilding, to fitness.

Keep the enthusiasm up but be patient and have FUN! The results will come.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

Yeah, I've already found the site bodybuilding.com, which has some great articles on the subject (such as viewing bodybuilding as a science and actually applying the scientific method to it, versus going essentially by accident).

One thing though: Have you heard of a "one repitition minimum" or 1RM? Can you explain that to me? I don't understand what it is.

Ben

Forum Member

Run Run Run.... Then run some more.

Plenty of pushups, mix in a few ab exercises, then end with some puch ups. should be good to go.
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood"

MembersZone Subscriber

1RM stands for 1 repitition maximum, also known as the the maximum amount of weight you can use to perform only rep of an exercise. One way to get stronger is by using percentages based on your 1RM. FOr example, the minimum strength threshhold is 60% of your 1RM. Take a squat, for instance. If you test and find that your 1RM is 200 pounds, then you would need to begin using at least 120 pounds to build strength. A squat workout might be 4-7 sets where you increase each set. If you're using percentages, you would:
    warmup 2 sets @ 40-50% of your first set working weight
    set 1 60% set 2 65% set 3 70% set 4 75% set 5 80%

You will have to keep your reps low (3-6) especially when using higher reps and a higher percentage of your 1RM.
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Thread Information