Forum Member

Default What type of SCBA does your Department use?

I dont know if this is in the right place but, i'm trying to get our volunteer department updated, they have the old Scotts that have the lil switchs on it for demand or not. I'm trying to find out everyones opinions on SCBAs what kind do you like,and also about how much different types of SCBAs cost. The department is in serious need of SCBAs.Thanks for the help
    Last edited by imtherookie; 05-26-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Forum Member

We use the type of SCBA that tells you to try the Search feature on the left

It's in the group of red boxes. 4th from the bottom.

Forum Member

i did a search as, "SCBAs" and "airpacks" came up with nothign sorry for asking a question

Forum Member

Rookie, are you asking what other depts use to be curious or do you need specifics on available SCBA on the market? If you are looking to purchase new units, I recomend letting cost be your driving factor.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Forum Member

And I recommend whoever/whatever in your area has the best service for the packs once you get them. I am assuming you do not have a staff in your department that will be servicing them, so finding a reliable service dealer is a big plus. Good luck on your search, you may hear many different versions/stories/facts about SCBA's.

And to answer your question, we switched from those old Scotts to Survivair's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I started on a FD with Scott Pak-I's, then to Scott Pak II-A's, then Scott 2.2's, and now Scott AP-50's. I like the Scott air pack and would stay with them if I had the choice.

My career FD uses the new MSA SCBA I think they are called the FireHawk. These are also a good, comfortable, easy breathing mask. I would also recommend these.

I have also in my career used, Survivair, Interspiro, Globe, ISI, and CairnsAir. Other than the Interspiro, that I hated, the simple fact is this, they all have to meet NFPA standards. It really boils down to which one you like the best, which one you can afford, which one you can get reliable, reasonably nearby service.

Good luck.

FyredUp

dazed and confused

Globe SCBA???

SCOTT SCBA here.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default MSA

We use MSA Firehawk w/ 30 min 2216 cylinders.
    Last edited by jam642; 05-27-2005 at 09:50 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

This has been discussed here on multiple occasions; a search will provide you with further insight. WERUJ!

We us Draeger PSS 100 Plus with the Sentinel Package. I think they were around $4500 a piece, and we have 17 packs with 17 30-minute bottles, 17 45-munite bottles and a RIT bag.

I personally like the pack. Very user friendly, very light and comfortable. We've been using them for over 1.5 years and haven't had any problems except with dead batteries (which is normal). It takes one battery in the mask for the HUD, 2 batteries in the back of the pack and one 9-volt in the PASS.

AirBoss® PSS100 is Dräger’s latest high performance breathing apparatus, uniquely designed to shift the weight of the unit from the shoulders to the hips, thus reducing back strain and increasing stability. The unit is also designed to move with the wearer, both vertically and horizontally. This additional flexibility allows the wearer to work more effectively for longer periods of time, with less fatigue. The revolutionary adjustable 3-position backplate gives the wearer a means to achieve the perfect fit for any torso length.

http://www.draeger.com/ST/internet/U...hting_unit.jsp

http://www.draeger.com/ST/internet/U...inel_equip.jsp

They also just came up with what they call a Merlin. It's a monitoring unit that shows the IC who is wearing which unit, the breathing rate and how much time they have left at said rate. It can also monitor distress alarms and can issue an evacuation alarm.

http://www.draeger.com/ST/internet/U...pss_merlin.jsp
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Originally posted by BFDNJFF
    Ditto...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default 4500 psi 30 min bottles

these..........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Re: 4500 psi 30 min bottles

Originally posted by Weruj1
    these..........
    Ditto... ^^

former FH.com member

We currently use Scott's, but in the Department's infinite wisdom we will do a complete switch to Interspiro's in the next month or so.
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 02-04-2007 at 02:58 AM.

dazed and confused

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    We currently use Scott's, but in the Department's infinite wisdom we will do a complete switch to Interspiro's in the next month or so.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

former FH.com member

Originally posted by Resq14
    yeah...no *****.

Forum Member

WHY???

former FH.com member

Our BA's and bottles are at the end of their service life. Actually our supply of serviceable bottles got so short that we had to borrow some from Houston and I think Austin. Instead of getting new Scotts the city has decided to switch brands, I honestly have no idea why. I'll tell you what though, we just got fitted for the new stuff and the boys are NOT impressed. There are a lot of ****ed off Jakes down here. Oh well, that's life in the big city for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry...

Our BA's and bottles are at the end of their service life. Actually our supply of serviceable bottles got so short that we had to borrow some from Houston and I think Austin. Instead of getting new Scotts the city has decided to switch brands, I honestly have no idea why. I'll tell you what though, we just got fitted for the new stuff and the boys are NOT impressed. There are a lot of ****ed off Jakes down here. Oh well, that's life in the big city for you.
    My first guess would be money. The fools in office don't care about safety and comfort, all they see is they will save $$$$$$ when purchasing JimBob's CrapPacks.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Talking scba's

How much money do you have? When I started here it was Scott and I did not care too much for the old stuff do to the nature of the test equipment procedures. Then we got Interspiro which wasn't to bad in its early stages. If you have a lot of money for spare parts and test equipment get Interspiro and if you want made here, relaible and relative cost effective then get Scott.

Forum Member

Scott AP 50's with all the bells and whistles. Including EBSS for RIT connections.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

ResQ14...

Yes, Globe SCBA. They are not made anymore and haven't been for several years. They had similarities to the belt mounted MSA but had a whistle for a low air alarm. They were inexpensive compared to MSA amd Scott. When I worked for the military as a CFR FF we had Globes until we wised up and got Scott 2.2's.

SAFD46Truck...

Interspiro...you have my deepest sympathy for your misfortune. When the Air Force went to those we had to give up our perfectly serviceable and loved Scott 2.2's for them. In my opinion they were junk. Furthermore service was HORRIBLE and not available locally. I wish you better luck than we had.

FyredUp

Permanently Removed

MSA CBRN packs, only company in the county that has'em and we can repel from an 80 foot window to the ground in case a situation goes sour

Forum Member

We have the older MSA packs, NOT the newer with the face-mount regulators like the FireHawk. They have always worked for us, but are coming up on not being compliant anymore.

We recently purchased 2 of the new NxG2 Scott packs, to sort of "test drive." We are very pleased with them. All of the new bells and whistles, and pretty good price. No way of knowing anything about the dealers in your area, but here Scott is cheaper than MSA. Not only did the Scott dealer give us the best quote, but the NxG2 pack was just what we were looking for...HUD, 45 min carbon cylinders, ready to go for RIT with the UAC, let's your partner know how you're doing on air, no more breathing hose to get in the way or get pinched off when you're on your belly, no more annoying high pressure hose, and no more not knowing whos low air bell is going off...ohhh and they're really light and comfortable.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 05-27-2005 at 02:19 AM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

only company in the county that has'em
    ever wonder why?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information