MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Adventures in Kiwi-land

New Zeland has to be the most beautiful country I have ever been to. It was so hard to get on that plane and come home. The highlight of the trip was meeting Ian (Flying Kiwi) and his family. It was bliss to be on a boat in the bay surround by nothing but water and the islands of NZ. Dinner was quite good too!

I did the Skyjump. The first second before you step off, is a bit of EEKK!! but then the ground rush is awesome. They let you do it a second time for free so I did it twice. I have a photo from that as they drop you about 1o metres down, have you grin up at the camera and then send you on your merry way. I'll post it next week when I can scan it in.

There are no words to adequately describe standing on the beach at
    Waikehe Island watching the waves crash up on the sand in front of you and against the cliffs. I also walked around the island a bit and saw some of the vineyards which were shades of green and red and gold as it is late fall there. This certainly will not be my last trip to NZ as there is so much more of the country I want to see.

Anyway, as long as the pictures come out, they'll be posted tomorrow as words simply cannot describe the stunning beauty of the country.

cheffie
    Last edited by superchef; 05-26-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Forum Member

Default Welcome back...........

so you didnt have a good time then ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I'm glad you had a good trip...can't wait for the photos!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pictures are in

well, strike two. If I can ever figure out how to get these to post, you'll see them.

Forum Member

Talking Noo Zelund

Cheffie--please, please do not rave on about our country.

We have managed to keep it all a big secret--only 4 million of us live here (and only 60 million sheep)--easy to to find a good looking one,ay Fellas?

Seriously, glad you enjoyed your trip down under.

Oh yes another bonus about NZ-unlike Awestruckingfailure we do not have all manner of poisonous creatures all waiting in the bush to kill you--only Auckland drivers are allowed to do that.

PS You could have at least waved from Waiheke Island-we look at it every day from our kitchen window!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default lets try this again

Waikeke Island

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish we could have connected before I left tooandfrom so we could have met up. However, this will not be my last trip to NZ. It may take me a year to save up $$$ again but I'll be back.

Don't remind me that you have that awesome view everyday. You are SOOOOO lucky. I did get a chance to see the NZ Fire Brigade too. I came back to the hotel one night to find several engines in front of my hotel and another arrived shortly after that along with the salvage unit. I found out later that a sprinkler had gone off in someone's room.

well, the picture posting is not working. I'll have to try and figure out why.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pictures

Waiheke Island
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Auckland

The tall tower in background is the SkyTower that I jumped off of (attached to a wire of course). This picture was taken from the marina.
    Last edited by superchef; 05-27-2005 at 06:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking wine

one of the vineyards on the island

MembersZone Subscriber

Default from the boat

as you can see, photography is NOT my calling (that and I just had one of those one time use cameras).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default beach on Waiheke Island

the tide was out and the sand was covered in seashells. The picture does not do the view justice. It was incredible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Devonport village

Devonport is a 12 minute ferry ride across from Auckland. I was sitting on the beach with Devonport behind me.
    Last edited by superchef; 05-27-2005 at 10:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Noo Zelund

Originally posted by Tooanfrom
    We have managed to keep it all a big secret--only 4 million of us live here (and only 60 million sheep)--easy to to find a good looking one,ay Fellas?
    Now all you have to do is teach the sheep to play cricket and you might give the Aussies a decent match

Oh yes another bonus about NZ-unlike Awestruckingfailure we do not have all manner of poisonous creatures all waiting in the bush to kill you--only Auckland drivers are allowed to do that.
    Those poisonous creatures are very important in Australia - they are how we stop all the illegal immigrants from reaching the cities We don't need a Coast Guard or Border Patrol etc - the crocs, snakes, spiders, box jellyfish and all the other nasties take care of 'em for us - nice and clean, no need for paperwork, holding cells, court cases, etc. Only the strongest survive, and when they finally reach a city they are usually begging to be re-exported because they are so mentally wrecked after battling through a few thousand miles of jungle.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Default Help!!!

Bump and triple Bump

Could someone please go thru (very slowly, and as if you were explaining to a child) how to put an attachment onto a reply.

Yes ,I am 65 yrs old-yes I was given a bollocking at school for using a "Biro" instead of "Pen and ink"

Yes I was using B.A sets before they became S.C.B.A--namely Proto

Please spare my blushes and PM me--if you are 15 and know it all-please impart your knowledge!

Reason? I can show Superchef a few pictures of the area in NZ that she never got round to seeing--I have umpty frew picture saved in documents. I can easily send them on "Normal" E mail no probs.

As soon as I try to send them via "Firehouse"--zero-nada-zilch
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Australia is on my list of places to visit too although with all those critters roaming about, I may need some protection when I get there. I miss NZ already.

Tooanfrom-

It is easy to put attachments on. When you are in the reply window under it you will see several options. Click on the "browse" button next to where it says attach file. That will let you browse your computer for the location of the file so you can post it. Once you find the file you want, you can press submit reply and it should post. The only problem is usually the size of the picture. I had to reduce mine down to post them. I am saving the really hot ones for the crusty site though.

PSFB- Sheep playing cricket?

How many pints did you have last night?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by superchef
    Australia is on my list of places to visit too although with all those critters roaming about, I may need some protection when I get there.
    Oh I'm sure Pumper41 and myself could provide a suitable protection service

PSFB- Sheep playing cricket?

How many pints did you have last night?
    I lost count - and it wasn't until this morning that I remembered that I was drinking full strength Aussie beer again, instead of the watered down U.S. beers that I was drinking at FDIC. Man my head hurts.

Forum Member

I will never get the hang of american beer.

If you come to the Gold Coast, well i wont protect you, its survival of the fittest

Anyone willing to give the Aussies a go at a real cricket game? You dont even have to be wholly human!
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by PattyV
    I will never get the hang of american beer.
    Patty,

American beer is perfect for FDIC - you can drink in the bar until 2:00am, then get up at 5:30am and go and do another days live fire training (although a few of my American Brothers looked a little worse for wear most mornings ). I can't wait to see what effect Australian beer has on them when they visit

Forum Member

Its always a good time when you get them on it.
    I have lots of American friends that live in Malaysia, i always show them the real stuff to drink
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Hey Cheffie, did you take in a rugby game while in NZ, if not you'll have to go back.

How come your not in any of the pictures?

MembersZone Subscriber

manofire
    That would be cuz I was taking the pictures. And no I did not see any rugby games while I was there. Not enough time. The "back back to NZ" account is already being started so I can go back next year. Then I also have to factor in Australia. I think my vacations are pretty well mapped out for the next few years. Although I think I better just buy a camera phone or a digital camera. I suck at picture taking.

manofire- I will post the picture of me dangling over Auckland tomorrow when I can get to a scanner to scan the pictures in.

IACOJ BOD

Go on then, post the one with the fish.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

aw Ian, my hair is all frizzy from the humidity and my face is sunburned. I'll scare them if I post it.

how about if I just post the fish?

IACOJ BOD

That will do.

Give the fish his 15 seconds of fame.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information