Forum Member

Default AFGP Vechicle Award -- purchasing gotchas?

Howdy!

Well looks like 2005 might be our year. We got the 10 questions on Wednesday and are hoping we will get the award for a new pumper.

We were awarded a grant last year for PPE etc so I am familiar with the management of the grant, but I am new to the AFGP vehicle acquisition process and am looking for any gotchas or suggestions during the process.

I have read the Program Guidance and understand it fairly well, but any input would be of great help!

Thanks again!
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The only thing different with vehicles is that you can't make any prepayments for discounts on a chassis, and you can only request up to 25% of the federal funds at order time IF that is part of the contract with the manufacturer. If that is required and you receive any kind of prepayment discounts, these will have to be declared in the Progress Reports, and you have to ensure that what you're spending in matching is 10% or more of the total cost. Basically, use any discounts to buy more stuff for the truck and you're fine. Don't forget you can give the manufacturer your matching funds at any time in order to make any discounts a little bigger.

Make sure you have your bid in order in accordance with DHS and local rules, or you're purchasing through a co-op and don't have to worry about that sort of thing. If you did put any specifics about the truck in the application, you must keep them or upgrade. In other words, if you applied for a 1500gpm pump, you can't drop to a 1250gpm. If you mentioned foam, you have to put on foam. The reasoning is that anything that you mentioned is part of the reasoning behind your score being what it is, so if you said you need CAFS, then it is logical to conclude that the reviewers believed that provided a great cost-benefit, and scored you higher. If you don't put it on, expect a visit from the Dept of Justice about fraud charges.

But enough about that, on with the celebration and Congrats! Drop a emailor post a question in the forums if you need anything else, someone around here has an answer if one of us veterans doesn't get to it quickly enough.

- Brian

Forum Member

Originally posted by BC79er
    The only thing different with vehicles is that you can't make any prepayments for discounts on a chassis, and you can only request up to 25% of the federal funds at order time IF that is part of the contract with the manufacturer. If that is required and you receive any kind of prepayment discounts, these will have to be declared in the Progress Reports, and you have to ensure that what you're spending in matching is 10% or more of the total cost. Basically, use any discounts to buy more stuff for the truck and you're fine. Don't forget you can give the manufacturer your matching funds at any time in order to make any discounts a little bigger.

Make sure you have your bid in order in accordance with DHS and local rules, or you're purchasing through a co-op and don't have to worry about that sort of thing. If you did put any specifics about the truck in the application, you must keep them or upgrade. In other words, if you applied for a 1500gpm pump, you can't drop to a 1250gpm. If you mentioned foam, you have to put on foam. The reasoning is that anything that you mentioned is part of the reasoning behind your score being what it is, so if you said you need CAFS, then it is logical to conclude that the reviewers believed that provided a great cost-benefit, and scored you higher. If you don't put it on, expect a visit from the Dept of Justice about fraud charges.

But enough about that, on with the celebration and Congrats! Drop a emailor post a question in the forums if you need anything else, someone around here has an answer if one of us veterans doesn't get to it quickly enough.

- Brian
    Thanks Brian. We appreciate the help!
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

Forum Member

Default Sorry for my reply to me...

Originally posted by btvfdlink

Thanks Brian. We appreciate the help!
    Brian et all,

Thanks for all the pointers. They have been really helpful...however, I have one more question...

On the first page of the program guideance and on page 33, the 'Interim Final Rule' is referenced.

I can' t seem to find this anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Best,
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Intrim final rule actually is replaced by the final rule...which is found on the website.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Correct. The Interim Rule is usually what comes out of the Congressional Committee, and the Final Rule is the law that actually got signed by W.

If you read the Final Rule, don't do it while you're tired. I do it, but that's because some folks pay me and I ought to have a handle on everything, just the way I think it ought to be. If I wasn't working for others, I probably wouldn't. The Program Guidance is basically the English version of the Interim Rule (legalese). Everything you really need to know to be dangerous is contained in the PG.

Thread Information