MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knives don't kill people...people do!

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors say knives are too pointed
    A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.
    A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

Forum Member

Time to ban bats, hammers, crow bars, and anything else that has been used to kill someone.

Amazing how they thought that not allowing someone to own a firearm would reduce violent crime. Gun control doesn't work, so what makes them think that knife control will?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We need to ban people.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, ban knives, Ok. OH darn now we are getting blunt traumas, ban rolling pins. OH the blunt traumas havn't slowed down, better bas skillets. Hmmm, folks are STILL showing up to the emergency room. Maybe we should ban the kitchen altogether.

The is Bovine exhaust.

Forum Member

Pine cones can be sharp...EGAD!!!! I'D BETTER CHOP DOWN THE PINE TREE!!!!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like UNIX, you have the gun and the bullets. What you do from here is your problem! (Long live VMS)
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Stayback,

Cutting down the pine tree involves the use of a sharp object or power tool. Either can cause injury or death and should be banned.

Can the banning of STOP signs be far behind?

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Well, now THOSE I can understand.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

OK, everyone... Go out to your garages and clean out the tool boxes....... No more screwdrivers!!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We need to ban people.
    OMG George i actualy agree with you on one thing other than the yankees !

People Suck Ban Them And That Solves All Problems LMAO !!!
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

In the wise words of Larry The Cable Guy:

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, THEN I CAN BLAME BAD SPELLING ON MY PENCIL.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

MP discussion circa 1950:
    "Gee, crime is sorta up. I wonder what we can do about it?"
    "I know, lets make guns illegal. Without guns, there will be no violent crime."
    "Won't that keep people from protecting themselves?"
    "Don't be daft you ninny, that's why we have the police. We wouldn't want normal folk to look after their individual safety!"

MP discussion 2005:
    "Gee, crime is way up now, I wonder what we can do about it?"
    "It is the bloody knives. If we get rid of the knives, there won't be any more violent crime."

BBC headline circa 2060:
    "Police today siezed an illegal cache of weapons from a Soho flat. The stones, all between 1 and 2 kilos in weight, were capable of inflicting serious injury and were illegal under the Protection from Stoning Act of 2050. The Prime Minister's office released a statement praising the action and stating in part 'One day we will all see a rock-free society where we can live in peace and safety'"

I'm really not picking on the UK, we've also got MORE than our share of people that believe you can effectively control crime by legislating away tools that have both legitimate and illegal uses. Fortunately, ours have yet to achieve any real political power.

MembersZone Subscriber

the first assault/trauma I worked was a guy who got hit over the head by his girlfriend. She was wielding a very dangerous VCR. Don't know what made her go for the VCR, but it made a quite an impact. But it's okay since VCR's are becoming obsolete anyway. For a minute there I was thinking of writing my senator about those dangerous household objects.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

PAJ,

Gonna hafta ban VCRs, and since they are becoming obselete, we might as well ban DVD players too.

Just my little plug onthe hypocroacy of these people that want to ban weapons.......

Sen. Barbara Boxer of California wants to ban personal ownership of firearms, but yet has a concealed carry permit.

Perhaps she'll have to get a concealed permit for her knife after she gets rid of firearms and takes away our right to personal defense.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

lol

when i was in high school the weapons policy was that anything that could be used as a weapon wasn't allowed in school grounds. me and mom always joked......hummmmm no pens or pencils.....sharp objects....can cause injury (this was 10 yrs ago)
    if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

MembersZone Subscriber

Sen. Barbara Boxer of California wants to ban personal ownership of firearms, but yet has a concealed carry permit.
    But Sharkie, that is because she is one of the enlightened elite. Since she clearly knows what is better for us lemmings and is blessed with far more intelligence, she shouldn't be held to the same standard.

Just like Rosie gets to have armed guards for her kids, but wants to tell everyone else they don't have the same right.

Forum Member

Thanks EFD,

I forgot that our elected officials are so much more enlightened and know what is good for me better than I do.

Thread Information