Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Source unknown

Default Source unknown

but I will post the following. If somebody knows the source, please post it:

SPECIAL ALERT: Probing Activities in US Rise Sharply

20 May 2005: A "sudden surge" of individuals possessing and attempting to use false credentials, badges and in some cases, uniforms to probe key areas within the infrastructure and emergency services of the United States is being reported by federal law enforcement officials. A significant increase in potential terrorist probes is being reported concurrently on three levels as detailed below:

Surveillance & Active Probing of Power Plants, Water Treatment Systems, and other Areas of U.S. Infrastructure

Active Entry Attempts at Hospitals, First Responder Stations (Ambulance & Fire) to Access Information & Assess Response

Electronic Probing of Critical Computer Systems

"Sensitive" reports compiled this week by the Department of Homeland Security are showing a consistent, nationwide increase in attempts to breach security at key locations within the U.S. by individuals using subterfuge and false credentials, according to the report labeled žrestricted dissemination.Ó The report cites a sharp rise in incidents of individuals
    using fictitious identification who have attempted to gain entry into restricted areas of hospitals, medical facilities, fire stations, and ambulance and rescue stations. In some cases, there have been reports of thefts of various equipment, including biohazard suits and protective clothing.

Also cited in this report is a significant rise in "suspicious activity," further described as "the surveillance and photography" of key elements of our infrastructure, including nuclear and conventional power plants, water treatment plants, chemical storage facilities, gas refineries and storage facilities, bridge structures, train and subway stations, and large office
    buildings. In some instances, ventilation systems appeared to be the focus of attention.

In situations involving hospitals and key medical support facilities, security has thwarted all "known fraudulent attempts " to gain access to restricted areas or information, according to the report. [Emphasis added]. A number of cases were cited where individuals using fake credentials, once questioned further by internal security, fled upon more detailed questioning. Some imposters have been identified and investigations are in progress.

Regarding reports of active surveillance and photography or videotaping of critical infrastructure, the report states that the žnumber of incidents of suspicious activity reported to police agencies has risen dramatically since April. Details regarding these activities were less specific in terms of their disposition.

Attempts to gain access to confidential, proprietary and information described as žsensitiveÓ via computer have also risen sharply. According to specific reports, attempts included both those of žintrusionÓ as well as those involving individuals conducting pretexts via e-mail. The report describes the latter form of these attempts as žcreativeÓ and seeking to exploit human vulnerabilities.

In situations involving individuals engaged in the above activities witnessed by law enforcement, security personnel and others, suspects have been described primarily as well groomed Arab men appearing to be in the 25-40 year-old age group, although men appearing to be of Hispanic origin also accounted for 10-15 percent of the incidents described. Further, a number of suspects were identified as Caucasians within the same general age range.

Everyone in the emergency sector as well as those involved in the security of our critical infrastructure are advised to be on a heightened state of alert for the activities described above.

Lightbulb The Source

This "special alert" was published 20 May 2005 by an outfit called the Northeast Intelligence Network. They claim to combat terrorism by "investigation, research & analysis." It's run by a private investigaor named Douglas J. Hagmann. He's listed as the author of the special alert.

Web Site: http://www.homelandsecurityus.com
    Special Alert: http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/alerts.asp

Thanks Coz, not exactly a great piece now, is it?

Forum Member

I dunno.....seems like alot of very general "specifics"

Default Re: The Source

Originally posted by cozmosis
    This "special alert" was published 20 May 2005 by an outfit called the Northeast Intelligence Network. They claim to combat terrorism by "investigation, research & analysis." It's run by a private investigaor named Douglas J. Hagmann. He's listed as the author of the special alert.

Web Site: http://www.homelandsecurityus.com
    Special Alert: http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/alerts.asp
    Wonder if he is the "Law Enforcement Version" of Doug Copp........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like somebody trying to make a buck.

Regardless, still a good reminder to keep your eyes open and your stations/equipment secure.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information