Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas needed

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ideas needed

I'm looking for ideas to help build skills when doing a recruit training. I have books that give training ideas, but, I'm just curious what other trainers are using to first instruct, and then have a recruit show proficiency. For example, when doing ladders, I have my recruits got through the basic lifts, carries, and raises, but I want to make it an interesting class, so I'm looking for ideas to throw in with the basic skills, but this is not just limited to ladders. I would like to get idease for all other aspects of firefighting.

Any help is very appreciated,

Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up ideas are good

Ideas are good, I'm looking for a few as well, anyone intereseted maybe we could form a "commitee" or something of the like through e-mail. I am assigned a "mentor" of a new recruit and am looking for a way to train him thAt wont cause a burn out in his first 3 months of membership.

Forum Member

you talk about ladders what about teaching them to lock in? or going over proper ways to carry tools? once they have the basics down start them on their knots and once they master them teach them how they are used so on and so on. For the basics teach them to know their airpack inside and out. To make it more interesting have competitions or things like that.

Default Training on ECS Simulators

Hello,

My name is Rhonda 'Willard....

In regards to training I would like you to visit our company's website......www.meti.com

The Emergency Care Simulator is perfect for training in Emergency situations. Please feel free to browse our website. We have the list for viewing also on there that will tell you all the installation locations for the ECS's. Be sure to view the news clips as well.

Please if you would like further information just send me an email:
    rwillard@meti.com

Let me know what area you are from and I'll be happy to send you the brochures at no cost ....

Thanks ,
    Rhonda Willard
    Medical Education Technologies
    6000 Fruitville Road
    Sarasota, FL 34208

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter2230
    you talk about ladders what about teaching them to lock in? or going over proper ways to carry tools? once they have the basics down start them on their knots and once they master them teach them how they are used so on and so on. For the basics teach them to know their airpack inside and out. To make it more interesting have competitions or things like that.
    Competitions are an excellent way to practice teamwork, make your brain work, break the standard dull sessions, and just have fun. One thing we did as a training session recently was to have a competition between two teams. Quick overview.

Engines pull up on "scene" set up dump tank for draft, 1 and 3/4 line was pulled to fill buckets for bucket brigade, ladder was thrown to allow buckets to go to the roof, on the roof a ventilation simulator was set up, underneath the roof on the simulator was a 55 gallon drum that had to be filled. Whichever team won, got to sit back while the losing team packed everything up. even though the winers had the option we all pitched in. It developed a great amount of morale back, and helps with the teamwork.

Forum Member

Smile build a cammaraderrie too

I was also assigned in that part before. What we mostly do is that, those who join the organization in the same period of time should undergo those trainings especially physical trainings. We have to jog in early in the morning, they wear their fire suit going to the site and after that they will continue it with some other tools that we often bring during fire calls(ax, hose ets.) it was so exhaustive but what our aim was: to make them fit and at the same time they interact and support each other. during our response time, we never had a problem, because they already have a good communication, what we call "buddy system." they support each other. We have a better job and at the same time we have a great bond. we also make simulations, from hose throwing, connections and pump. the things we do during fire calls. i hope i share some.

MembersZone Subscriber

I look at this in two different ways:
    1. Recruit Training
    2. Refresher/skills training

Recruit training should be tough in my opinion. On my department, all new-hires must complete FFI and then have a six month time period for skills evaluation to be completed by their assigned officer. What you teach the new recruit up front will form the basic skills for that firefighter. Recruit training should be consistant and NFPA compliant. You can make it interesting, but set the tone day one with recruits.

With refresher/skills training, competition drills are a great thing.. We use these on a regular basis. We do competition drills indoors also using a point based system and each station competes with one another. We have a traveling trophy that we use for bragging rights. Be creative but keep it fair. If you do engine company competitions, try to use identical engines.

Thread Information