Banned

Default Japs found in jungle

Japs in jungle for 60 yrs
    By CHARLES RAE

TWO old men found hiding in a jungle have claimed to be Japanese
    soldiers — lost for SIXTY years.

The pair, in their 80s, were reportedly found in the Philippines, scene of fierce Second World War fighting between Japan and the US.

They were found by a man looking for wartime remains on the island of Mindanao.

They were named as Yoshio Yamakawa, 87, and Tsuzuki Nakauchi, 83, and were said to have army equipment.

Reports said they had become separated from their division and had been afraid to go home ever since in case of court martial.

Nakauchi’s family were so sure he was dead they erected a tomb in his memory.
    The claims are now being probed by the Japanese government.

The men yesterday failed to keep an appointment with officials, apparently scared by crowds waiting to see them.

One official said: “We can’t verify who they are but we can’t deny it either.”

The Japanese newspaper Sankei Shimbun said that there may be more than FORTY other Japanese soldiers living in the mountains and that they all want to return to Japan

I am not sure what I think of this story but I have to admit it is interesting.
    If they truely were in the jungle for so long how many more old guys are still fighting their own little war around the world
    Last edited by pengman; 05-29-2005 at 12:18 AM.

Forum Member

Wow..... Scared to go home....... Interesting.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

WOW!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Well, considering what the Japanese Army did to deserters and even suspected deserters back then, I would be afraid to go home, too!

You have to remember, that back then, the Japanese Emperor was considered a God. (I dont know about modern-day practice....) And when he said that the Japanese would overcome all aggressors, the population believed him out of devotion. As with any war, part of the war is psychological/propaganda manipulation. The Japanese population was always led to believe that they were winning......The men in the mountains, (if legit) were probably dumbfounded and possibly even upset if/when they were told of the outcome of WWII!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wouldnt you hate it if you were going for a trek in the jungles of south east asia when suddenly you get shot at by a couple of old men who never found out the war was over.

Lets see who the first person is to mention that they probably knew what the outcome of the war was but were still too afraid(apart from me of course )
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I know there was an actual case about 10 or so years ago of a lone Japanese soldier on a Pacific island who was still fighting the war...He was located but refused to believe that the war was over, thinking that it was a trick. If I recall correctly, they eventually had to bring in one of his former commanding officers to speak to him personally to convince him that the war was over. I guess in his mind he could not fathom the idea that Japan would surrender. He had actually been part of a small group who had been mounting raids on villages for years, but eventually he was the lone survivor.

So if that guy turned up 10 years ago, I can see a few still being out there...

Then there was that one guy on Gilligan's Island...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Wink Latest news

Sorry to rain on your parade-news here(via Teletext) states "Japs in Jungle is a con to get foreigners in that area--just so the locals can kidnap them for ransom money"

Always a business opportunity if you try hard enough.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Yeah, Philippino pirates travel all throughout south east asia kidnapping tourists off beaches then holding them for ransom. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy doesnt it?
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

PattyV--not so sure about going for tourists--the way I read it they are after foreign journalists. Papers would pay big bucks to get their people back--probably saw all the interest in the Corby case, and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

As you so rightly say "Charming people"!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Not really talking about this case in example, just mentioning the fact that it happens.

Thread Information