Thread: Indy 500

Forum Member

Default Indy 500

I think the strong showing of Danica Patrick was just what open-wheel racing needed. The race was as exciting as any NASCAR event.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Amen, Mikey.. of course, there are race fans all over the world who will complain that there as been another "estrogen invasion" in a man's field of expertise...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry guys...and ladies, but she stalled the car in the pits, spun it under yellow and took the lead as a result of the accident, that she caused only to be overtaken by three drivers because she had to lean out her engine to save fuel.

I don't know about anyone else but she seemed like any other rookie driver trying to run with the big dogs, unsuccessful.

Forum Member

I didnt say she ran a perfect race. But, despite the gaffes, she still finished 4th. Not bad for a rookie. My opinion is that she will help create more interest in the open wheel circuit that has steadily been losing more and more ground to stock cars for years now. Of course people thought the same thing about Sarah Fisher.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Thumbs up MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....Danicaaaaaa..........

mmmmmmmmmmm FWDbuff in love...mmmmmmmmm Danicaaaaaaa (drools like Homer Simpson).........
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

....Sigh! I wonder if she knows I exist???? LOL!
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

Default Nice to see

Like the full race helmet---could we make it compulsory for all females?

One it would stop their pretty faces from being marked in the advent of something untoward happening.

Two and most importantly(and visors will be welded shut)--it would stop them primping hair, doing eye makeup,applying lipstick, as they drive along the freeway.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Default Re: Nice to see

Originally posted by Tooanfrom
    Like the full race helmet---could we make it compulsory for all females?

One it would stop their pretty faces from being marked in the advent of something untoward happening.

Two and most importantly(and visors will be welded shut)--it would stop them primping hair, doing eye makeup,applying lipstick, as they drive along the freeway.
    You sir, are a "forum arsonist"
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, as most of you know, I'm all about tradition, especially in sports. Heck, usually the only things I'm interested in these days with regards to the Indy 500 is when Jim Nabors sings "Back Home Again in Indiana", when they say "Gentlemen, start your engines", and when the winner gets his bottle of milk to drink. I really couldn't give a prune pit otherwise. Oh sure, when I was a kid, I was all into it, rooting for A.J. Foyt, #14, and all the rest of the big stars of the day. But today it is just so much force-fed media hoopla. But today, I found myself going back and forth from the Met game, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, and the race. I'll admit, I was intrigued as I kept checking in on the race and found Danica Patrick was still in the hunt. So, with about 50 or so laps to go, I stuck with it, and I was glad I did. What a finish. I actually found myself rooting for her. I was thinking this could be history in the making. Alas, it was not to be. Still, a heckuva performance from a rookie 23 year old on what I consider to be auto racing's greatest stage. And that includes NASCAR. Now, the question I'm left to ponder........Did I actually fall victim to all the media hype? That would be a fate worse than death.............
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in Japan last month (End of March , beginning of April) and went to the Indy Japan 300 at the Twin Motegi race way and she was there racing as well as many of the other big names.

Let me just say that if you have not been to an Indy race live, it's time you go to one. Watching Danica Patrick race live is great, you do find yourself rooting for her. She came in 4th in the Indy Japan 300. Looking up stats before, she has done quite well her first year as a racer, I think she will be around for a long time.

Andy

Forum Member

Default Re: MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....Danicaaaaaa..........

Originally posted by FWDbuff
    mmmmmmmmmmm FWDbuff in love...mmmmmmmmm Danicaaaaaaa (drools like Homer Simpson).........
    FB. You hit the nail on the head. Given her relative successes and very photogenic look, I would bet there are marketing folks who are salivating at wanting that account.

I expect her to be endorsing everything. With companies handing her an almost blank check. What she doesn't make in race winnings, she'll do quite well in off the track dealings.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

District Chief

I am thinking she is going to be picked up by NASCAR
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

captstanm1 - I take a certain pleasure in being one of the only guys in my firehouse that DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT LIKE NASCAR! I think I would rather watch paint dry! I dont know what pust me to sleep faster- Golf or NASCAR!!??? It pleasures me to no end to make fun of the hillbillies in the TV room of the firehouse on Sundays.....One of my favorite lines is when I walk in the room, to say "Hey......Who turned on Hee-Haw re runs?

If she were picked up by NASCAR, I WOULD LAUGH MY *** OFF SO HARD, it would send me into seizures! To think, (GASP!) a GIRL invading the "Good 'ole boys Club"......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

How many men would be in the stands the day of her first NASCAR race? 7 ? ok.....9 tops.

District Chief

Attention in the fire house.......there is already a female NASCAR driver...not sure what her name is,...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jeff Gordon!
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

Thread Information