Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Talking Tips on retirement

It is important for men to remember, that as women grow older it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive and there ain't nothiní worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is, Paul. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Sue. When I was laid off from my consulting job and took "early retirement" in April, it became necessary for Sue to get a full-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the Golf Course about the same time she gets home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I 'm ready for some home cooked grub when I hit that door.

She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now, it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed. I really think my old business as a consultant helps a lot. I consider telling people what they ought to do one of my strong points.

And speaking of bed, her age really shows up there. I go out and golf all day, come in dead tired and after a two hour nap and a good meal, I'm ready, if you know what I mean. Age has gotten her so bad that she actually dozes off during lovemaking. But that's okay. Her satisfaction in that area is important to a sensitive guy like me and if she enjoys sleeping during our little trysts, what the hey...

Now that she has gotten older, she does seem to get tired so much more quickly. Our washer and dryer are in the basement. Sometimes she says she just can't make another trip down those steps. I don't make a big issue of this; as she finishes up the laundry the next evening, I'm willing to overlook it. Not only that, but unless I need something ironed to wear to the Monday lodge meeting, or to Wednesday's or Saturday's poker club, or to Tuesday's or Thursday's bowling, or something like that, I will tell her to wait until the next evening to do the ironing. This gives her a little more time to do some of those odds and ends like shampooing the dog, vacuuming or dusting...Also, if I had a really good day on the course and it was wet and muddy my clubs are a mess, so I let her clean them, you know.....get the grit off the grips and with a little light Brillo on the club faces at a casual pace. My golf bag is heavy so I lift it out of the trunk for her. Women are delicate, have weak wrists and can't lift heavy stuff as good as men. But I did tell her I don't like to be wakened during my after golf nap, so rather then bother me, she can put them back in the trunk when she's finished.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But boys, we take em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points. When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too, then take her break by my hammock. That way she can talk with me until I fall asleep.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Sue. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do, how frustrating women get as they get older. However guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

Paul

EDITOR'S NOTE: Paul died suddenly Thursday, May 23rd. He was found with a Calloway extra long 50 inch Big Bertha Driver rammed up his rectum with only 2 inches of grip showing. His wife Sue was arrested, but the Grand Jury accepted her defense that he accidentally sat on it. She was released on Friday.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

God I hope my wife doesn't see this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

LMAO Note to self - keep clubs locked in trunk!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Wow..........................

I think I just gave up golf. But, I'm staying retired though.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Default More...

An Expertís Advice on Retirement

Advice from investment counselor David Bach:

At age 20 to 30

- Save 12 percent of your income for retirement.
    - Use a work sponsored retirement plan and/or take advantage of Roth IRAs. Put the maximum amount allowable for both.
    - Invest for growth. Put 100 percent of your investment savings into stocks.
    - If your job offers a stock purchase plan, sign up for it.
    - Cut up credit cards and use a debt card.
    - Consolidate credit card debt and pay it off quickly.
    - Start a fund to buy a home.
    - Set up a living will or trust.

At age 30 to 50

- If you are just getting started, you will need to save 15 percent of your income for retirement.
    - Invest for growth and income. Put 70 to 80 percent of your investment savings into stocks and the rest in fixed rate securities, such as bonds.
    - Start a college fund for children.
    - Consider consulting a financial advisor.
    - Research the extra cost of paying off your 30 year mortgage in 15 years.
    - Get disability coverage.

At age 50 and above

- If youíre just getting started, cut your expenses drastically and save 20 percent of your income for retirement.
    - Place 60 to 65 percent of your savings in stock and the rest in fixed income.
    - Consider getting long-term health care insurance.
    - Make a list of all the assets and where they are, as well as other important documents. Share list with family members.
    - Contact Social Security Administration and your employer to learn what your retirement benefits will be when you retire.
    - Write a financial plan to make your retirement funds last the rest of your life.

- Conta Costa Times Newspaper

Forum Member

Ryan, please tell me that you do not spend your whole day at the golf course and then come home to expect your wife to wait on you hand and foot after working. Not trying to be a beeotch, but give me a break!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OMG get a grip! It's an internet joke!

Please call off your dogs, and delete the post you made in the Women's forum
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Originally posted by tk1918
    Ryan, please tell me that you do not spend your whole day at the golf course and then come home to expect your wife to wait on you hand and foot after working. Not trying to be a beeotch, but give me a break!
    No, I don't even play golf, tried but kept hitting ducks and apartment buildings. Actually at my house my wife and split up the duties. There are some stuff I don't do but she does. Often on my days she gives a honey do list and I finish it on one of the two days off.

Also if you notice in the letter, the guy says his name is Doug.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD
    Also if you notice in the letter, the guy says his name is Doug.
    Pssssst, it says "Paul"
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by PFire23

Pssssst, it says "Paul"
    Sorry, still brain fired after the first day of paramedic school. thanks.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

ROFLMFAO!!!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Now getting back over here to try to get this under control, I was really only just giving you some grief, not intentional or serious by any means. Sorry Ryan!

and BTW, I know it's an internet joke!

Forum Member

Darn, I was looking forward to being ganged up by some women.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I dunno, after reading the posts on the other thread, and re-reading the post here, I'm sticking to my original diagnosis

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

ROTFLMFAO!!

I'm sure you were HAHAHAHA

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information