MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up looking for a workout

i am looking for a workout guide or maybe someones workout that i could use . i have just joined a gym and would like to get back into shape, to be able to be firefit for the dept i am with

any help would appreciated
    lead, follow, or move the hell out of the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Don't waste your money on....

If I were you... I wouldn't fall for Mike Stefano's workout package. It is "personalized." I paid WAY too much money, for a printed out book of examples of different types of workout and a cluster of "do this for a few weeks...." Firehouse.com promotes a lot of his stuff, but stick to the free stuff and don't fall for his sucker advertising.

If you are looking for getting in shape... As far as cardio goes, if you're into running, check out the free running schedules on Nikerunning.com. Stop by a fire station, ask them what they do to keep in shape. It's more work, but if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, do a little research.... Then start pushing yourself until you feel better, stronger, and healthier.

I am not knocking the site posted before me. I have never heard of it, but I have used a website like that a few years ago and loved it. Just do lots of research before you turn over your hard earned clams. I didn't do enouch research with the "firefighter's workout." I got suckered in.

Good luck. Do good. Wanting to become prepared for whatever may come your way is the biggest part.

MembersZone Subscriber

The unfortunate side of free workouts is that professionals who post them use a cookie-cutter approach, meaning they design one program and give it to the masses. As humans, we all have inherent strengths and weaknesses, different body types, and various training levels. This is why the 'personal' training field exists.

All good programs must begin with an assessment to find out strengths and weaknesses. This is your pre-plan. Without it, you might as well be training for ultra-marathons or doing the workout I give my 75 yr. old client.

What was the biggest problem with the firefighter's workout?
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I rotate my workouts real frequently to keep my body growing. The cheapest and easiest way i have found to get a workout is through a mucsle magazine like FLEX or MUSCLE FITNESS. they have workouts that the pros use and tips and stuff. hope that helps.

Forum Member

First you need to decide what your goals are if you want to have a program set up for you. Are you looking for overall health, strength training, weight loss?? etc. My advice would be to go to your gym and hire a personal trainer for a session or two. They can help you with your goals and set you up on a program that is right for you. The program I am on may not be the program you should be on. Good luck with your new program!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting personal trainer, even for a few session, is a great idea. They can see what your strengths and weakness's are and customize a program. If you want, meet with them once a month or so after to gauge your improvement and get new ideas. I find motivation to be important, I know what I need to do, but sometimes have a hard time finding the right motivation. To get over that I have subscribed to a few fitness magazines that interest me (runners world, trail runner, and womens health), they give me plenty of ideas and keep me excited about working out.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I dont have any suggestions for the gym, but may I recomend stairs. Nothing better for cardio then putting on an SCBA and walking/jogging up/down multiple flights! My engine crew does the outside stairs at our house every shift (unless its raining)
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Thread Information