Forum Member

Default Prevention & Safety, what else...

I need some help from all of you. My department has neglected over the many years that we've been established and running to develop a safety and prevention program. I am looking for ideas, reference materials, etc. to utilize in our mission.
    To begin this grand adventure, our department needs to obtain reference materials and resources to distribute to our residents. We've talked about purchasing a digital camera with video capabilities so that we can develop our own program, but I'm not sure if we're digging a hole by wanting to do this. It would be more familiar to our folks if we made it ourselves, but how many of you have done this and what kind of problems have you run into doing this?
    Once our department is all ready to go with materials, we want to kick off the program by hanging banners and doing some publicizing. Make the grand announcement, and publicize our web site (which right now is a sore subject). Shortly after that I want to send out some type of flyer to the public, just a 'check your detectors, know your exits, etc...' kind of thing. But I kind of want to craft it so that it's from our department and more local rather than a generic NFPA flyer. Anyone know of any problems with this? I am very tech savvy and can design the flyer, but just wondering specifically if there would be problems with copyrights, etc...
    Then there's the program that we need to develop for the middle and high schools, which reside in our area. We used to work with EMS, law enforcement, life flight and put on a big show, but it came to an end a few years back.
    I saw on NFPA's site that they have special flyers for elderly folks and disabled folks. I wonder if anyone in our area would be offended if we sent special info to them or not? I want this program to be a success and not upset anyone of course.
    Thanks for any information you can provide.

Forum Member

ok forget what I had here earlier as far as making your own video's thats what i'm not getting could u explain that more?
    Send me a message or give me an email address and I can give you some more info.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 06-02-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Forum Member

sorry, I tend to ramble a bit sometimes.
    We want to make our own training videos for members who are unable to attend, so they can take them home and go over the information. Also we want to put videos together of incidents for future reference, training purposes (what to do/what not to do kind of thing).
    Hope this is more clear and thanks.

Forum Member

ok see where ur comin from now.

For the video's it shouldn't be that hard just a camera and the guys to show whatever you want them to learn. Now if ur wanting to use a computer to edit them add music and all of that fun stuff you will need to find a video card I believe(do a search for the KC LAST training read that thread toward the end I asked about it). And if your department wants to buy the camera and has a decent computer and people wanting to take the time to sit down and mess aroudn with the program then by all means I saw go for it.

Now as far as taping incidents search for videos or something of that nature and you will see that most of the video's I have seen the camera looked mounted in the apparatus and turned on whenever they were getting ready to leave the station. You could even tape trainings (ie next time you burn a house for instance) hope this helped if you have any more question's i'll do my best to help you.

Forum Member

I guess this would be a question for you and LaFireEducator:

Have you ever made up your own flyer to send out to the public? Just an informational "check out our web site, reminder to check batteries, etc...?

Forum Member

no we haven't it wouldn't be that hard to do though. Make what you want on like print shop delux or some program like that. Even using microsoft word if you have acces to a computer (go to file, new, then see if it has somewhere that says template or search for template type in handout then see what it brings up if thats what u want or not.

Then u would probably have to take it to some photocopy place to get mass copies made unless ur department has a copier(using a copier at the station could limit you though)

As for ur question though no we have never made our own we always order them from places.

Forum Member

Have never done a mailing, but I have developed a lot of my own materials for distribution at displays, open houses and for use in my juvenile firesetting programs. There is no problem with using the general concepts and teaching points from copyrighted materials, but I would avoid going word for word and duplicating it could get you into trouble. There is a ton of material available for free from the USFA Administration or Consumer Products Safety Commission that you can duplicate in whole or exerpt word for word for your own materials. This is usually the way to go as they have spent thousands of dollars coming up with the text ... and you can add any information that may be special to your response area, department name, logo, contact information etc.

Check out the US Fire Adminstration website .. the stuff there is free. Also just do a search for "firesafety materials" .. I have found a ton of stuff there from fire departments, state agencies, firesafety organizations, etc. that can be duplicated and used by any department. If you find something you really like, I would give the department a jingle and ask if it's a problem... I can't think of any that would say no.

Feel free to e-mail me and I will send you anything I have on a particuliar topic. While I don't have all of my stuff in the computer, I do have quite a bit. If I don't have it maybe I can get you headed in the right direction.

Forum Member

Post Ideas

I'm a certified Fire & Life Safety Educator (1035-I, II, III) here at the Grenada, MS FD. You can also get a limited number of freebies from Kidde/First Alert but they are copyrighted. I second checking the USFA and CPSC.

We offer an IFSAC certified 1035 course at our state fire academy. The website is www.doi.state.ms.us/fireacad/fa_home.htm
    They are updating the schedule, but you could call them. As of last week there are still some open slots. If your dept. has funds to send you, you'd be welcome. There were 3 fire educators from British Columbia, Canada in my class in 2001.

Our annual Mississippi Association of Public Fire Safety Educators (MAPFSE) conference is usually the third weekend in April every year. In 2006, it's going to be on the Gulf Coast in Jackson County. It's a Friday-Saturday event and we usually have people from other states come vist. You'd be welcome. It's a great place to get ideas. The Batesville, MS FD is working on a Kids firefighter challenge course based on one we saw at the conference from Lauderdale County, AL. Contact Batesville, MS or Florence AL fire dept's and I bet they could help with yours.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

The Batesville, MS FD is working on a Kids firefighter challenge course based on one we saw at the conference from Lauderdale County, AL. Contact Batesville, MS or Florence AL fire dept's and I bet they could help with yours.
    reverb15miss could you give me a website or email address for more info on that kids combat challenge. I have once again hit a wall on trying to get one together and started for my department.

Thanks

Daniel

Forum Member

Lightbulb Kids Firefighter Challenge

Daniel,

Sorry I didn't tell you my name. I'm Paul Reese.
    The Batesville, MS website is www.batesvillefire.com. Rip Copeland is their ramrod for fire safety education and is working on their Kids Firefighter Challenge. Brian Balch works full time at the Florence, AL FD. Their website is www.florencefirerescue.com Brian is an engineer on Rescue 2 on B Shift. They can give you some good help.
    You could write for one of the fire prevention grants for everything but a truck to pull the trailer. I'd estimate you will need in the neighborhood of $30K, plus the truck to pull it; but that is a loose, ballpark estimate.
    My invitation to the 2006 MAPFSE Conference was serious. I've got some really great ideas there. Think about it - if your department sends you, it's a paid trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast before hurricane season. From my research, I was under the impression that North Carolina had some good Fire Safety Education regional and state associations. Are they inactive right now?
    Keep the faith. Just by using this forum, you are doing more than a lot of others. Let me know if this helps.

We're working on our website. It's www.grenadafd.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Paul greatly appreciated and if at all possible I think it would be great to come to that conference i'll have to look into it and run it by my chief to see what he thinks.

I was under the impression that North Carolina had some good Fire Safety Education regional and state associations.
    Not real sure haven't looked into it I will now though. I was given the job of taking over our fire prevention stuff this year and am wanting to get out there and do fire prevention things more than during fire prevention week and during special events in the town I live in.

Once again the info is greatly appreciated

Forum Member

Glad to help, Daniel. If you can't come in 2006 to the MAPFSE Conference, shoot for 2007. We're putting in a bid to host it here in Grenada. We did it in 2001, and not that any of the others are substandard, but we'll have a great one here. Bring your fishing pole - Grenada Lake hosts the national Crappiethon Fishing tournament about every 3 or 4 years and also has some good bass fishing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Prevention

FF2230, one of the first things you had better do, if you wnat to get a grant to pay for your program, is conduct a study or survey to see what the actual extent of knowledge, problems or lack of smoke detectors is. The annual FP&S grnat will come up in September and if you have done your homework, is relatively easy to get. You have to have a well thought out and planned program when you go to write the grant though, and one of the key things in that grant application is to have conducted a study to properly conduct a "needs assessment" for the program first. You also need to bear in mind that the stated program priorities for that grnat are for programs specifically targeting JV under 14yoa and senior citizens. If you want their cash, meet their priorities!

Too long to go into here but, if you need more help here email me or conatct off line.

KB

Forum Member

Default Re: Fire Prevention

Originally posted by ktb9780
    FF2230, one of the first things you had better do, if you wnat to get a grant to pay for your program, is conduct a study or survey to see what the actual extent of knowledge, problems or lack of smoke detectors is. The annual FP&S grnat will come up in September and if you have done your homework, is relatively easy to get. You have to have a well thought out and planned program when you go to write the grant though, and one of the key things in that grant application is to have conducted a study to properly conduct a "needs assessment" for the program first. You also need to bear in mind that the stated program priorities for that grnat are for programs specifically targeting JV under 14yoa and senior citizens. If you want their cash, meet their priorities!

Too long to go into here but, if you need more help here email me or conatct off line.

KB
    ANY assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated I have sent you a message on here with my email if you would send me what you got.
    Help is ALWAYS greatly appreciated
    Daniel

Thread Information