Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Res-Q-Jack

Arrow Current Buttress Stabilization Systems

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    We are going to try out a set of Res-Q-Jack stabalization devices later this month. Having used Kodiak system recently, that is about all I will have to compare them to. What do the rest of you think about the current buttress stabalization systems available today?
    Rich,

Next time I'm at your track, or you are near ours, take a look at what we use and how it's stagged on the rig. I think you'll be impressed at the speed that we can deploy the system; as well as the "firefighter resistance factor" built into the design.

(The manufacturer was striving for FF Proof but that level of engineering excellence does not yet exist!)

Additionally, "all components are rated for vehicle, trench or building collapse appications." Why invest in a "one application product" when you can make you dollars work harder?

EEResQ

MembersZone Subscriber

We have ARS steel struts, which are basicaly the old Rescue 42 struts.
    We love them, and the versatility, especialy since we can also get a tripod out of pne package.

www.arsrescue.com

Forum Member

Wow, so many sales...so little help. We know there are thousands of fire departments throughtout the US, and no one manufacturer can fill every department. But does that mean I am willing to settle for less, or am I willing to put my brothers out there with a rescue using tree branches and rope to build a strut? Do I need to lift every car with a jack, it's a great tool to have, but do I call a wrecker to lift a car for every call? NO. So why give up my money and space on the truck. I sometimes laugh at how firefighters complain about a 5 pound difference between rescue tools manufacturers. But in comparing strut manufacturers, 15 - 20 pounds is nothing.

First of all, consider the following:

1. How important is safety to you and your crew?
    2. How much are you willing to pay for their safety?
    3. Ease of use.
    4. Type of material.
    5. Load rating.
    6. Optional use.

Basically, all struts operate the same way. Other than the type of materials used to manufacture, other gimmicks are what make up a kit.

Wood = what is the strength of wood based on length, what type of wood are you using, knots and grain factor with length?

Steel = zinc coating, type of steel, strength, corrosion factor, weight. A little heavier than desired, and will corrode when exposed to fuel and battery acid, also conducts electricity.

Composite = strength, life expectancy. Lightweigt and stronger than steel, but what is the life expectancy when exposed to contaminates. Does it conduct electricity? Some composites conduct electricity, such as carbon composite. While others don't conduct electricity, such as R42.

Post Another strut system

My department has two pair of Rut Struts. Very simple, quick and easy to set up. Doesn't need an engineering degree or lots of changeable parts to use.
    Those of us that also volunteer at the near by internatial speedway had a chance to use them in Charlotte, NC at the NASCAR training facility and we were very impressed how quickly we could get two set up using just three people so we could stablize a Nextel Cup car that was on it's side. Using four struts and cribbing, we were almost able to keep the car completly still during the extrication exercise. I have been told that at least four have been put in our budget request for next year, but it is up the the track's parent company to approve the final budget.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GFD615
    I sometimes laugh at how firefighters complain about a 5 pound difference between rescue tools manufacturers. But in comparing strut manufacturers, 15 - 20 pounds is nothing.
    Because you don't have to hold that damn strut up for 20 minutes.

And I have just finished looking at the R-42, ARS, Kodiak, Paratech, and Res-Q-Jack systems, and I am most likely going to order the Res-Q-Jack (final price pending of course ).

Weight was only a minor concern, but they did seem more robust while still being as simple or simpler to operate, and just as versatile as the the others. We too were looking at a multi-use role.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 11-22-2006 at 08:02 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

So fare I have used every one of these systems, and found each one to have advantages and disadvantages. The main thing is what fits your needs the best, and is it readily available in your area?
    In my own opinion there are two of the major brands that I would like to see combined, if a strut was built with the features of both of these I would love it. But until then you must compare all of them for yourself and see what fits your department best.

Mike and Tim , I love this thread, It gives me a chock hold on you guys.

Because you guys will have to be here in March to defend yourselves.
    I have every brand of strut made coming, and each one will be used in the classes. There will not be any hint of sales in the classes but every class is open to spectators for three days, People can see for them self how each one works.
    As of now I have:
    ResQjack, ParaTech, Air Shore, Rescue 42, ResQtec, Power Shore, and Kodiak

Is that pressure or what?
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

I thought I was coming too ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagrescue
    I thought I was coming too ?
    That is the answer I was looking for
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

Lee: I need times and dates and wheres and whens. Starting to fill the 07 date book already. You can email if you like.

Thanks "Z"

Forum Member

[QUOTE=mcaldwell;741107]Because you don't have to hold that damn strut up for 20 minutes.

Lets not get confused about where we're using struts. If you're expecting to use your struts only on the streets, then you're sadly mistaken. I just worked with a crew that carried 4 Res-Q-Jack crank struts with straps and chains over 100 yds down a hill. Needles to say, everyone was worn out before the tools ever made it to the scene. Also, I don't believe anyone needs to carry a tool during extrication for 20 minutes, let alone struts. If your extrication is taking 20 minutes, work smarter, put the tools down whenever you can. Don't always carry it, and don't try to fight it.

100 yds? That's not even a warm up around here.A system is only good if it fits your needs and you have staff that can use it. What works good for me may not work at all for you.Sometimes the fastest way to get equipment to a casualty over the embankment can be a modified breechers buoy.Or a plastic snow sled.Goes back to identifying your common hazards/jobs and trying to tool up for the worst case scenerio,space permitting.We've got industrial,automotive,log trucks,skidders and woods equip,snow removal equip,compacting presses,et al.Try to pack all the gear you need for that on your wagon.Good luck! I've used the Resqjack,I like it.We've got Ruts,quick and easy.Rescue 42's system is very nice.Z-mag?What can I say,it doesn't get any simpler or cheaper(ownership cost NOT quality) and if you have a saw or sawsall is field modifiable.All these systems,including ones I haven't mentioned,have strengths and weaknesses.All will do a great job in the right hands.Question is;Do you have the right hands? Try before you buy and choose the system that best suits YOUR needs. T.C.

Thread Information