Thread: Res-Q-Jack

Forum Member

Default Res-Q-Jack

We are going to try out a set of Res-Q-Jack stabalization devices later this month. Having used Kodiak system recently, that is about all I will have to compare them to. What do the rest of you think about the current buttress stabalization systems available today?
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 06-03-2005 at 08:04 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Well since Z-mag is a stand up guy who won't toot his own horn here - I'll do it for him.

With any buttress system you should consider the following things:
    1) Where are you going to carry them & how much space you have.
    2) How often do you plan on needing/using this system (I know - "you never know" but look back on the past & see how many times you could have used them and let this be a gauge)
    3) What are your budget limitations.

Now the situation that my agency found ourselves in after performing this thumbnail analysis was that
    1) We have plenty of "dead space" on our rescue to carry stuff
    2) With less that 10-15 MVA's per year we probably wouldn't be using these very often
    3) At the time we had a pretty good budget but we didn't see the need in spending a lot of $$ on something that would be used so little.

In the end - we opted for Z-Mag's system based on price & customer service.

The system we have is the base plates & caps w/ ratchet strap & 1 set of connector sleeves. For truss timbers, we carry 4 psc 3' 4" x 4" & 4 psc of 5' 4" x 4". Our regular cribbing is 2'x 4" x 4" so with the use of the coupler we can make 2 trusses with lengths of: 2', 3', 4'(2&2), 5', 6'(3&3), 7'(5&2), 8'(5&3), 10'(5&5).

Cost less than $600 for the whole system & timbers & we're quite happy with it. IMHO - It's worth your time to check it out.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

I have a lightly used set of ResQJack struts for sale. We bought a set of Rescue 42 in their place.

Email me for info or to put in an offer.

Forum Member

Originally posted by kromer1
    I have a lightly used set of ResQJack struts for sale. We bought a set of Rescue 42 in their place.

Email me for info or to put in an offer.
    Ok.. what is a "Rescue 42"?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Medic,Try WWW.Rescue42.com.Tim,like Z-mag,has a lot of neat trinkets to make your life easier.It's another strut system,one that doesn't take up much space and is basically idiot proof.I've used it on a couple drills and found it to be user friendly. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also use the Rescue 42 stuff. We like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out the thread http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=48987

We are using the Rescue 42 system.

Forum Member

As each person has their preferences, business interests, and certainly opinions I suggest you investigate the actual designer of the device you elect to use. Are they qualified to design such a device with the interest of safety in mind? What is the safety factor? Where are their calculations regarding stresses and strength? Can and will they supply them readily?

Gather all the facts, test and evaluate each tool, and then make a decision based upon your application vs. quality/price, etc.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Default Struts

I know the Res-Q-Jack folks will come out and do training after you purchase a system. Do any of the other suppliers do that for you?

Res-Q-Jack also offers a new Deep Cut Saw and a trench shore, does any one else have that?

Res-Q-Jack has a built in jack which allows you to lift a vehicle instantly, does any one else do that?

Did I mention that Res-Q-Jack is comming out with a folding strut for limited storage applications, does any one else do that?

It seems to me that Res-Q-Jack is all about stabilization and education. They are not just another guy with a welder trying to make a buck!!

What ever you choose, be safe!!!

Rescue 42 dealers will also do training, isn't that part of the deal??

I wouldn't use Rescue 42 in a trench application, BUT I sure as heck wouldn't use ResQJack either. We have Airshore for trench and building stabilization. Before you go tossing the ResQJAck in trench, has it been tested and rated for such uses. Will the dealer train you in trench ops when you buy ResQJack?

Rescue 42 has a MOVABLE jack system, to allow use on other struts... with the advantage of buing only as many as you need. Concept there!

Folding strut... interesting... any weaknesses or will they be the same as their other struts? Maybe a nice cam lock strap system for the limited space application.

Vast background of stabilization and education is key... do your homework or did you have some bent deck boards too?

Post sarcasm and you shall receive sarcasm. Take Care!

Forum Member

Wow, this is interesting. About 3 months ago I answered someones question on here and attached a link to my website. Some faceless, gutless person ****ed and moaned to the admin staff that I was useing this board as a commercial and the post was removed and I had my weenie smacked. NOW.... I do believe we have broken into a full blown "Rescue-Jack is the answer to all world problems" board. You have heard the relationship between opinions and buttholes haven't you? I resent some of the tone and the digs. I have always tried, as hard as it has been at times, to stay on the high road. Mr. O'Conner at 42 also attempts to stay there. Believe it or not Tim and I are friends, we even reccomend each others tools if that is the style and type that you are looking for. The snotty remarks have no place on this board and only go to show the thin skin of a few. BUT ... since the questions have been asked ..... The Zmag Ground pads were subjected to 3rd party teating by a CERTIFIED testing facility and passed with flying colors. You can review the results on my website. "Training" .. I am not sure that you really want to grab a tool at 0ark30 that needs an entire video dedicated on how to use it. What if the guy in the bucket that night didn't get to see it? How about keeping it simple and realistic? "Somebody with a welder looking to make money" .... Hmmmm, $395.00 verses $3,000.00 and up .... you decide who is looking to make money. .... "The background of the designer" ... wow, got me there. I am only a 30 year veterian of the fire and rescue service, I have only been an active part of over 100 TERC regional and international comps in the US and Canada. I have only taken the input of the lowly users of my tools to make them even better. I can not attempt to hold a candle to a "Real Engineer" with a whole 2 years experance in the fire service, (not my words, read his website). Look, there are over 2 million fire departments in the US and Canada. No one supplier can serve them all. As a responsible buyer you need to look at what is available, see if it fits your needs, fits your budget, and fits your compartments. Then make the best choice for you and your department. Base your decision of facts and not a bunch of whinney childish jiberish.

Said enough for now ..... Zmag

PS: How come you didn't bring up the one and only team that won a TERC comp with the RJ? You will have to give me a little time to retreve the 40 some names of teams that have won with mine.

PPs: To the admin staff, if this is too harse. Be sure to review the posting that this is in responce to.

Nice reply Mike! I told you I still read this board.

Forum Member

burlington fire department, ontario, canada

Thumbs up Stabilizing Struts

Very good reply Mike (Z). Keeping all manufacturers equal in your answer. Equal opportunity should be presented in this forum. Truly there are many variations to choose from, it is up to the buyer to decide.

Never trust a salesperson who downgrades their competition during a sales pitch!

Mike McNamara
    TERC Canada Chair
    www.terccanada.org

MembersZone Subscriber

See ya Thursday Mike, hope you can say a few words about T.E.R.C. at the Mixer.

Forum Member

What Z,No CAD? Heaven forbid,the sky is gonna drop.What's the ENGINEERING trimelitation of that 4x4? Has it been TESTED? I don't know but I've seen a bunch of house decks sitting on them and I'm pretty sure they weigh more than most vehicles. Now I can't tell you what breed of strut we carry on the Engine.I've used them but given a preference,I'll use my small tow truck over ANYONES struts if I can access the vehicle.And that's not saying anything BAD about anyones product,it's just that I can deploy that system quicker and have 4 ways to lift almost instantly.Two winches,main boom,and crowd boom.Simplicity of operation is a big player in the success of any system and one beauty of the Z-mag system nobody's mentioned yet is the ability to use components of the systen(namely the 4x4's)for purposes other than struts.I've used all of the products mentioned here.All have specific strengths,and quite frankly,all will do a good job for you.It's up to you to get exposed to these systems and decide which one(after field trials)is most suited to your agencies operation. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-27-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Forum Member

just as in HRT's its not the qualities of the tool but the skill of the user with the tool that makes the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What about tear down time

I just wondered. Have you thought about being able to use your jacks to follow a load up, such as during an airbag lift. Or, what happens when you use the jack to support an inverted vehicle and you cut the roof off to access the patient. If all you have are straps to ratchet in and take up slack, you have no way of safely removing your system of following it down.

Maybe you can take a look at the new Markee jack system by ResQtek. It should be all about safety, not sales.

The Markee system has an integrated screw jack in place to allow for each jack to be extended and retracted as needed.
    "Training Today for a Better Tomorrow"

MembersZone Subscriber

We just got a couple sets of Howell Rescue's cap a bears and Kodiak struts and we are pleased. Simple. Everything mentioned is good and does the job. I just think whatever you get train with. That's all. Later.

Forum Member

Default Re: What about tear down time

Originally posted by Resqtek33
    I just wondered. Have you thought about being able to use your jacks to follow a load up, such as during an airbag lift. Or, what happens when you use the jack to support an inverted vehicle and you cut the roof off to access the patient. If all you have are straps to ratchet in and take up slack, you have no way of safely removing your system of following it down.

Maybe you can take a look at the new Markee jack system by ResQtek. It should be all about safety, not sales.

The Markee system has an integrated screw jack in place to allow for each jack to be extended and retracted as needed.
    Hmmm.. sounds like a salesman talking to me... I would suspect that by the time you got the roof removed and the patient cleared, some guy wearing a badge and carrying a gun will have called for one of them there trucks with a winch on it (ie. a wrecker) that can safely hold the car up while you remove the stabalization equipment.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Forum Member

Medic,the Resqtek strut system is yet another nice system that allows you to make lateral adjustments only they use a screw,similar to a HD version of the adjustable lally columns you might find in a basement.It's fast,simple,and as well as I can tell relatively FF proof.I can run it if this tells you anything.Check it out sometime.Just another tool for the box. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow Current Buttress Stabilization Systems

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    We are going to try out a set of Res-Q-Jack stabalization devices later this month. Having used Kodiak system recently, that is about all I will have to compare them to. What do the rest of you think about the current buttress stabalization systems available today?
    Rich,

Next time I'm at your track, or you are near ours, take a look at what we use and how it's stagged on the rig. I think you'll be impressed at the speed that we can deploy the system; as well as the "firefighter resistance factor" built into the design.

(The manufacturer was striving for FF Proof but that level of engineering excellence does not yet exist!)

Additionally, "all components are rated for vehicle, trench or building collapse appications." Why invest in a "one application product" when you can make you dollars work harder?

EEResQ

MembersZone Subscriber

We have ARS steel struts, which are basicaly the old Rescue 42 struts.
    We love them, and the versatility, especialy since we can also get a tripod out of pne package.

www.arsrescue.com

Forum Member

Wow, so many sales...so little help. We know there are thousands of fire departments throughtout the US, and no one manufacturer can fill every department. But does that mean I am willing to settle for less, or am I willing to put my brothers out there with a rescue using tree branches and rope to build a strut? Do I need to lift every car with a jack, it's a great tool to have, but do I call a wrecker to lift a car for every call? NO. So why give up my money and space on the truck. I sometimes laugh at how firefighters complain about a 5 pound difference between rescue tools manufacturers. But in comparing strut manufacturers, 15 - 20 pounds is nothing.

First of all, consider the following:

1. How important is safety to you and your crew?
    2. How much are you willing to pay for their safety?
    3. Ease of use.
    4. Type of material.
    5. Load rating.
    6. Optional use.

Basically, all struts operate the same way. Other than the type of materials used to manufacture, other gimmicks are what make up a kit.

Wood = what is the strength of wood based on length, what type of wood are you using, knots and grain factor with length?

Steel = zinc coating, type of steel, strength, corrosion factor, weight. A little heavier than desired, and will corrode when exposed to fuel and battery acid, also conducts electricity.

Composite = strength, life expectancy. Lightweigt and stronger than steel, but what is the life expectancy when exposed to contaminates. Does it conduct electricity? Some composites conduct electricity, such as carbon composite. While others don't conduct electricity, such as R42.

Forum Member

Post Another strut system

My department has two pair of Rut Struts. Very simple, quick and easy to set up. Doesn't need an engineering degree or lots of changeable parts to use.
    Those of us that also volunteer at the near by internatial speedway had a chance to use them in Charlotte, NC at the NASCAR training facility and we were very impressed how quickly we could get two set up using just three people so we could stablize a Nextel Cup car that was on it's side. Using four struts and cribbing, we were almost able to keep the car completly still during the extrication exercise. I have been told that at least four have been put in our budget request for next year, but it is up the the track's parent company to approve the final budget.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD615
    I sometimes laugh at how firefighters complain about a 5 pound difference between rescue tools manufacturers. But in comparing strut manufacturers, 15 - 20 pounds is nothing.
    Because you don't have to hold that damn strut up for 20 minutes.

And I have just finished looking at the R-42, ARS, Kodiak, Paratech, and Res-Q-Jack systems, and I am most likely going to order the Res-Q-Jack (final price pending of course ).

Weight was only a minor concern, but they did seem more robust while still being as simple or simpler to operate, and just as versatile as the the others. We too were looking at a multi-use role.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 11-22-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information