MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dr. Parasite

District Heights Volunteer Fire Department
    6208 Marlboro Pike, District Heights Maryland 20746
    301-883-7726

Volunteer Chief Tommy Stommel.

They have a full contingent of Career Staffing there, but Volunteers ride frequently. Chief Stommel, in my professional opinion, is one of the best Chiefs I have seen. They run a crapload of fires and have a Tiller Truck (Not one of these weak Aerialscopes )

E261- 1990 Hahn
    E263- 1985 Pirsch
    Truck 26- 1996 Simon/Duplex-RD Murray 100' Tractor Drawn.

Yes, they do have an ambulance.

3HookNHose, no, I don't ride in PG. I belong to a department in the county I was born and raised in. People from Pennsylvania come down here to "ride." I was born and raised here, I "belong."
    I belong to the Clinton VFD.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Default Tillerman

You mean to tell me you dont have your very own "cubby hole" ? Or even a cool bunk bed? On a slightly different note. I asked Harve, but he was unsure.. Do "live-ins" have to report free rent as income to the I.R.S. ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Tillerman

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Do "live-ins" have to report free rent as income to the I.R.S. ?
    A major portion of the county (about half maybe, I'm guessing, don't quote me) does not have a live-in program. I am not aware of any rule that states that the free rent needs to be counted. How would the income be quantified?

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

No, I don't have a Cubby-hole at the Firehouse. I am not a live-in anymore. When I did live there I just had a bunk and a locker. When I was a member of Kentland (46) I did have a room to myself. As far as I know, nothing has to be reported to the IRS.

I do live in the First in area of my company now and I do not think I would live in the station again.

Forum Member

The station I run out of has an ALS engine, a District Chief and a rescue boat. Every 911 call gets an incident #. If the engine runs an "incident" it counts as 1 response for the engine. If the boat runs an "incident", it counts as 1 response for the boat, but the engine does not get counted. We keep four run totals (well the CAD does). 1 total for the station and 1 for each seperate unit. This is how all the departments here do it.

Like I said, the incident counts as 1 overall #, and 1 report is generated no matter how many units respond. The total # of "incidents" is the same as the station "response" total.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default stevedude

Steve Thanks for the info, That's a hell of a fire department you got there. Thanks again, And have a safe shift!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well............................

Coupla pages of interesting nothingness. To those who want to debate what and what not, Have at it. That's why we live in America, so we can have, AND SPEAK OUT ON, different opinions. To those who are whining about the subject matter, Reread the sentence that starts with "That's why we live....." This is the only time I'll ever quote someone from "The Watch Desk" but that person's signature line fits here. It reads "If you don't like what people post, don't read it". And that's my advice for today. Moving on, I hadn't posted here yet, because I was waiting to see where things would go. Mike Ward and Tillerman have provided an excellent insight into PG's way of doing things. Eric, you need to learn a bit more about the system. Kentland does NOT include the Tower Ladder's stats with the Engine Company. I know, I'm the Chairman of the Statistical Committee for the Prince Georges County Volunteer Fire/Rescue Association. The gentleman who asked about District Heights - You need to understand that not everyone wants a website. There are a few Companies in PG besides 26 that do not have one, and, to tell the truth, they could care less. Some Want to be in the limelight, others don't. We have one, www.GDVFD18.Com but if we had to drop it, I don't think the world would reverse on it's axis. Anyway, have a nice day, I'm off to other things..... BTW, Tillerman, you see the list of Division Chiefs that came out last week?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

GimliOnFire,

You have been a member of this forum for less than a month and you are already talking like you own the damn thing. If this topic does not interest you, DO NOT READ IT. Obviously this interests some people, as there have been many informative posts. If you want to start a thread about LODDs or something you consider important, then go ahead, but you do not have control over what gets posted here. And that goes to all you "do a search people." Who cares if a topic was discussed a year ago, new members come and go all the time. No two threads are the same, each add something different. If the webteam has a problem with a particular thread, they will delete it. End of story, and rant off.

Forum Member

Default Re: Well............................

Originally posted by hwoods
    The gentleman who asked about District Heights - You need to understand that not everyone wants a website. There are a few Companies in PG besides 26 that do not have one, and, to tell the truth, they could care less. Some Want to be in the limelight, others don't. We have one, www.GDVFD18.Com but if we had to drop it, I don't think the world would reverse on it's axis.
    first off, thanks for referring to me as a gentleman. I think that's probably the second time in my life anyone has called me that

Why does Station 26 not want a website? and for that matter, why would any department not want a website (the costs aside)? are they not looking to recruit members? How do they show the public what they offer? how do the provide contact info for prospective members? how do they expect prospective member who don't live in their first due area to learn about thier department?

I'm not saying the world would stop if any department decided to stop their website. but it would make the job of their PR guys much harders, as well as close off a way for you to show the public what you do at the cost of minimal man hours.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

DrP, if you moved into a new town, would you drive past the firehouse or go looking for a website first? My experience, and that of my new members, was to drive past the firehouse. Some saw the open doors and stopped by. Some saw the sign with a phone number. In the last 20 years of the internet, we haven't had a single person come to us about a website. How do people know what we are doing? That's what we use the newspapers for. Almost everyone reads the local paper.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    DrP, if you moved into a new town, would you drive past the firehouse or go looking for a website first? My experience, and that of my new members, was to drive past the firehouse. Some saw the open doors and stopped by. Some saw the sign with a phone number. In the last 20 years of the internet, we haven't had a single person come to us about a website. How do people know what we are doing? That's what we use the newspapers for. Almost everyone reads the local paper.
    I'd check for a website before I even got to the new town to look for the fire house.
    I guess I am proactive like that
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Well............................

Coupla pages of interesting nothingness. To those who want to debate what and what not, Have at it. That's why we live in America, so we can have, AND SPEAK OUT ON, different opinions. To those who are whining about the subject matter, Reread the sentence that starts with "That's why we live....." This is the only time I'll ever quote someone from "The Watch Desk" but that person's signature line fits here. It reads "If you don't like what people post, don't read it". And that's my advice for today. Moving on, I hadn't posted here yet, because I was waiting to see where things would go. Mike Ward and Tillerman have provided an excellent insight into PG's way of doing things. Eric, you need to learn a bit more about the system. Kentland does NOT include the Tower Ladder's stats with the Engine Company. I know, I'm the Chairman of the Statistical Committee for the Prince Georges County Volunteer Fire/Rescue Association. The gentleman who asked about District Heights - You need to understand that not everyone wants a website. There are a few Companies in PG besides 26 that do not have one, and, to tell the truth, they could care less. Some Want to be in the limelight, others don't. We have one, www.GDVFD18.Com but if we had to drop it, I don't think the world would reverse on it's axis. Anyway, have a nice day, I'm off to other things..... BTW, Tillerman, you see the list of Division Chiefs that came out last week?
    I apologize, I was going off of third-party information and the lack of information on their website.

Eric

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    I'd check for a website before I even got to the new town to look for the fire house.
    I guess I am proactive like that
    hehehe

Glad I'm not the only one
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW, Tillerman, you see the list of Division Chiefs that came out last week?
    No, I have been extremely busy lately and haven't been to the Firehouse. I heard you were on it, CONGRATS!

Just remember to not take a page from the book of that Chief over on Allentown Road. (Which in short means: I hope you don't show up on a Room and Contents in Accokeek from Davidsonville, just because you can.... )

Forum Member

Three apparatus responding to ONE call; counts as three separate calls?

How does that work?

That would raise our response numbers from like 800 to 2,400.

Do you get anything different by doing that, or just so that you can write something on a t-shirt to let everyone know that you are the busiest?

Forum Member

Numbers can be fun! Remember Schoolhouse Rock on ABC Saturday? 1+1+1 is 3, one call for you, but 3 for me!

Kentland does gets its fair share of "fiah"!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Well............................

you see the list of Division Chiefs that came out last week?
    Finally something in this thread worth commenting on....Congratulations Harve!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Chuckle, Chuckle,...............

Originally posted by TillerMan25

No, I have been extremely busy lately and haven't been to the Firehouse. I heard you were on it, CONGRATS!

Just remember to not take a page from the book of that Chief over on Allentown Road. (Which in short means: I hope you don't show up on a Room and Contents in Accokeek from Davidsonville, just because you can.... )
    You know that he is a neighbor of mine, over here. Nice pad overlooking the Golf Course, while I'm up on the hill in the Horse Farm area. Neither one of us wants to be on the water though, too much noise....... And, 24? I worked there for several years, I might know the first due better than some folks....
    Last edited by hwoods; 06-07-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I apologize Eric if I was a bit too cantankerous last week. Recent events have left me occassionally grouchy as well as time to post here, long time reader, new time poster thing.

However, threads like this drive me nuts (here or elsewhere on hobby boards I've been long active on).

One, it was started by a troll looking to stir up ****. Pure and simple.

Second, people start posting out of emotion on something that fundementally doesn't matter.

Or at least, is something that should be simple to explain and move on, but you have a bunch of opiniated typists who don't read and then express "shock and awe" that something isn't kosher just because it's not exactly how they think it should be done.

There are still a few cities left that have more than one engine company in a station. And those companies each get credited with a run, even if it is to the same box. 2 Companies, 2 Runs, 1 Call (Call = Incident).

I don't think anyone still runs "Second Sections" where one company had 2 officers, 2 drivers, whatever double number of firefighters. One pumper would role to the first call in the district, the second section would respond if there was another incident in the district.
    1 Company, 2 Runs, 2 Calls.

Granted, there would be times a 2 Engine station would split -- one would get a trash fire, then the other would catch a box. 2 Companies, 2 Runs, 2 Calls.

And I'm sure there were times either run cards were setup, or because of stretched resources, both sections of a 2 Section company would have to role to the same box. 1 Company, 2 Runs, 1 Call.

For the Department, you'd keep track of all the calls.
    For each Unit, you'd keep track of the runs.

Station E1/E2 made 8,000 calls. E1 on 1st alarm south of the station, E2 on 1st alarm north of the station. Each on 2nd alarm in the other's respective first due. With Engine 1 making 4,500 runs; Engine 2 making 4,300 runs. Yes, there's a discrepenacy that the numbers don't add up because on 800 of those calls both units ran on the same incident due to extra alarm fires.

Engine Company 999 responded to 7,500 calls with Engine 999-Section 1 making 5,250 runs and the peak hour staffed Engine 999-Section 2 making 2,250 runs. No discrepancy in the numbers because that fictional department policy was that both sections where never committed to the same call in order to help provide coverage in a busy area.

We could continue to complicate this with scenarios like multiple piece companies like the LA Task Force / Strike Forces or Wagon/Pumper Combinations. Or even worse to make your head spin, some of the companies that had two pieces assigned but only ran one to calls at a time. They'd leave the other unit back in quarters for a couple firefighters on light-duty to restore it back to service and grab the other for the next call. Soon as they'd be back in quarters from a few runs, they'd switch again and head out to battle with the ready-to-go engine.

Many of these situations in the career service are history from decreasing fire call volume and budgetary pressures. You're much more likely to find similiar situations to these historical examples in volunteer stations that don't have as severe a budgetary situation, and when you get to an extremely unusual situation like Kentland you actually see a large enough volume of calls & runs to see it happen.

Doesn't make it wrong. Doesn't make it strange. Just makes it something different.

Grumpy out for the week. Bye.
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    In the last 20 years of the internet, we haven't had a single person come to us about a website.
    We've had two come in off of the website "Members Wanted" link. At least that was their initial way of contacting us. Other than that nothing, but hey both guys are under 30 and already trained so I'll take it. (not saying that you 'experienced' guys are bad, but you know what I mean by the under 30 thing)

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Yup!!............

Originally posted by FFTrainer

We've had two come in off of the website "Members Wanted" link. At least that was their initial way of contacting us. Other than that nothing, but hey both guys are under 30 and already trained so I'll take it. (not saying that you 'experienced' guys are bad, but you know what I mean by the under 30 thing)

"The under 30 thing." AGE DISCRIMINATION!...
    Sorry, I just couldn't pass THAT one.......
    We have a link on our site to put you in contact with the membership committee, and we get a hit on it once in a while. Several who first inquired that way are now members, and good ones. So, I think it's a worthwhile way to go, but it should only be a single item in a big toolbox when it comes to Recruiting new members. (Vol. OR Career)
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

I have withheld posting on here...but since no other "members" of kentland are here, i will try.

Kentland does not count 331, 332, 333 as separate runs for the engine company.

The mini-pumper runs calls to keep the engine in service for other calls.

Yes, we run the mini-pumper on all medical locals in our area, and as well we should. If the reality of the ambulance respose times was REALLY known, Dave Stater would probably do another expose' (local tv guy).

If there was no mini-pumper, the engine would run all of those medical locals.

The mini-pumper is out of service enough to have the engine run A LOT of the medical locals.

The Rescue Engine has most of their calls lately counted as a special service rather than a engine.

Any other questions?

Forum Member

Any other questions?
    Yes, do you live in Kentland's area or are you one of the PA "visitors"?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

HARDLY a PA guy

and for the record, 90% of the calls are run by a core group of about 30 people. There are pleanty of minorities that are REGULAR (not PA/NJ/NY/VA) members of our department for the record and an even higher percent of the live-ins.....not that it should freaking MATTER!! Firemen are firemen, get over the color thing....

There are probably more NJ guys than PA guys lately by the way, and most of the regular members dont really talk to the "ride-a-longs" or whatever the heck they are.

BUT at the same time, there are a few that drive down every weekend for a few days from as far away as upstate NY, so at least its a little bit of dedication.

Forum Member

Firemen are firemen, get over the color thing....
    uhhhhmmmmm, what color thing?

I was just curious if you were from the area or one of the "ride-a-longs".

Thread Information