C)Has a membership that is 85-90% White Males from out of State in an area that is 97% Black.
    posted by tillerman25

that is what i was referring to

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ride Alongs

Blank...on the 33 website, it talks a little about ride alongs. You mentioned that the regular members don't really talk to these folks. If a guy wanted to come and ride with you folks, would he receive a "chilly" reception? I think that it's great that a department opens their doors for others to learn...some places, the fire volume just isn't there.

I was thinking about coming to ride along sometime (it's a little bit of a trip for me), since I've followed your website for quite awhile. But I don't want to if I'm going to get in the way or not be given the time of day.

Tim

it all depends. i cannot guarantee anything. sometimes they have a great time, it is all about the attitude you present with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Blankfireman

Hey, Kentland is what it is, but you cannot sidestep the obvious. The community sees it, and they have been vocal about it in the past. Maybe stuff has changed....

If the reality of the ambulance respose times was REALLY known
    Ambulance response in that area is no worse than any other area of the County. Try waiting for A369 at 0300 hours on a call in Clinton, than complain to me about ambulance response times. Maybe if you had your own ambulance, ambulance response times wouldn't be as bad as you claim them to be.

You better HOPE Dave Statter never does an expose, because the first question he would be asking is WHY THERE IS NO AMBULANCE AT A FIRE STATION THAT HAS MORE EMS CALLS PER RESIDENT THAN THE REST OF THE COUNTY! There is your answer to Ambulance Response times.

It amazes me that you would even make a statement complaining about Ambulance Response times when you don't even have a F--king ambulance!

but since no other "members" of kentland are here, i will try.
    I will give you your college try, but you did nothing to make your department look any better. And FYI, I was a member there for six years, but I was at Company 46, you know...that Fire Station up the Street that says "Kentland Volunteer Fire Department, Station No. 2" on the front. Maybe you didn't know that they were part of Kentland as well. Where in the Hell do you think the money at 33 comes from?!?!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, especially those with insight on how things really work there.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    DrP, if you moved into a new town, would you drive past the firehouse or go looking for a website first? My experience, and that of my new members, was to drive past the firehouse. Some saw the open doors and stopped by. Some saw the sign with a phone number. In the last 20 years of the internet, we haven't had a single person come to us about a website. How do people know what we are doing? That's what we use the newspapers for. Almost everyone reads the local paper.
    actually, I would drive past the firehouse. I know that you always have guys hanging around at 2:30pm on a tuesday when I drive by. or when I finish my night shift and knock on the door at 2am. or on saturday afternoon, on a beautiful day, when everyeone is out having BBQs with the family. I know you always have applications in all the apparatus, as well at in the public portion of the firehouse, so anyone can give them out to a prospective member.

and in the PG area, where you don't need to live in the FD's first due area to be a member, a person might not drive 30+ minutes just to check out a FD, especially if they don't know anything about it. and they don't know what they can be missing.

Try waiting for A369 at 0300 hours on a call in Clinton, than complain to me about ambulance response times. Maybe if you had your own ambulance, ambulance response times wouldn't be as bad as you claim them to be.
    Tiller, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Clinton FD have an ambulance? so why is their ambulance response time so bad? and if there is a legit reason, wouldn't 33 have the same problems if they housed an ambulance in quarters?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

DrP, yeah, we have an ambulance. But if it is on another call (We have Three Nursing Homes and Two Retirement Buildings in our first due) we have to wait. Add to that a Company in our Second due who has no Ambulance (Morningside, Company 27) and our Ambulance is busy too. Bottom line is, if every station had an Ambulance, response times would not be an Issue. It seems some of the busiest companies for EMS are not providing EMS transport service, leaving the burden to other companies.

Hey, I hate the Ambulance, and I don't ride it very often becuase we have two Career People assigned to staff it, and I have enough time in to earn the priveleges of not having to do it. I get on it occasionally....

I have no real issue with the companies in the County with no Ambulance...more power to them. But don't try to complain about everyone else's Ambulance response times into your area if you don't even provide the service to begin with.

There is no Justification for not having an Ambulance in your station anymore. If alot of these Companies would stop the B.S. and just be truthful and say "We know an Ambulance would run people off, and we don't want to lose people," I think alot of the animosity would be remedied.

blankfireman, or for that matter, anyone from Kentland, Ritchie, West Lanham Hills or Morningside care to try and justify the reason for having other companies pick up your slack?

Forum Member

DrP, that's why there is a sign out front with the information you need, but then again, you knew that, you were just trying to prove a silly point. As for people living outside the area and wanting to join, we refer them to their own local department. We don't have live-ins and the 30minute response time would not be acceptable.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    There is no Justification for not having an Ambulance in your station anymore. If alot of these Companies would stop the B.S. and just be truthful and say "We know an Ambulance would run people off, and we don't want to lose people," I think alot of the animosity would be remedied.
    Tiller, this isn't meant to pick on you, but I find your comment fascinating.

In effect, you're saying that the focus of some companies in your area isn't on serving the public, it's on serving themselves. The public is saying through its demand for service that an ambulance is necessary, but certain companies are refusing to provide this service to the public simply because they don't want to. Perhaps a shift in focus is in order. If you don't really care to serve the public's needs, you're probably in the wrong line of work.

Am I completely off base? Maybe it's different on the west coast where EMS has been an accepted way of life since time began, so it's hard to relate.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Uh Huh......................

OneL1L, There are places where the folks do not wish to be in the BLS Transport business. Yes, things are different here, compared to most places. I'll try to provide a few examples. 1. Private EMS exists, but not much. Private providers do not handle 911 calls, or respond to emergency calls, all Emergency Service is provided by Fire Depts, or in some areas, Rescue/EMS companies which are very predominately Volunteer. 2. Firefighters are EMT-Bs. 3. As far as Government ordering an Ambulance into a Fire Station, not too likely. Here, The VFDs are organized as Private Non-profit Corporations and, for the most part, own the Stations and Apparatus Themselves, not Local Government. 4. Most of us, Tillerman included, (Right, Bro?) feel that the Public EMS System (Fire Dept.) is being abused to a considerable degree by Private Healthcare Providers such as Nursing Homes, Assisted Living Facilities, Etc. These places call 911 numerous times daily for transportation to another facility that is NOT an Emergency, but they refuse to use a Private Ambulance. They say that (off the record) they are not paying for a ride when we provide free ones. Currently some VFDs, including mine, are turning to a Fee Based service, hoping that if we charge the same, or more, than the Private providers, the business will go to them. In a Nutshell, Yes, It's a different world. As far as longevity, my station has been providing Ambulance service since 1930. (No, I wasn't there then, but Tiller will say I was. )
    Last edited by hwoods; 06-11-2005 at 10:37 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

FossilMedic

Default PG EMS workload

Let me amplify the Division Chief's comments:

In 1999 PGFD was seeking legislative assistance to require an increase in the number and level of training for health care staff working in nursing homes, assisted and extended care facilities. It was also requesting help in closing down undocumented healthcare facilities.

Almost one-third of PGFD ems responses were to nursing homes, assisted living and extended care facilities. In many cases between 1700 and 0800 hours it was because the one on-duty licensed practical nurse (with scant skills in the English language) was calling 9-1-1 because there was no one else at the facility with any medical training.

PGFD EMS (career and volunteer) becomes the unwilling partner at fixed facility care facilities that are understaffed with undertrained and underskilled caregivers. When in doubt, call 9-1-1.

Policies in the better staffed facilities also create excessive ems workload. One national extended care facility has a policy that every unwitnessed fall of a patron REQUIRES a 9-1-1 call and evaluation. So when a resident slips off a chair and sits on a carpeted floor - EMS is called. In nearby Fairfax County, one of these facilities generates 7 to 15 calls a week.

This situation is not unique for PG. In *MY* opinion PG county does not have enough staffed transport units to meet it's workload. Many ALS incidents do not get a paramedic and Tillerman's experience waiting for a second to sixth due basic ambulance is not unique. That is why a former PGFD fire chief went to the Emergency Rescue Technician career positions in place of the Firefigher positions.

Mike

former EMS subcommittee chair
    Fire Chief's Committee
    Washington Metro Council of Governments
    Last edited by MikeWard; 06-10-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Tillerman25-

Here is the reality. We provide BLS first response service to all of our first due area. We provide at the same level as the BLS ambulances that are also responding. We are able to do this and clear when the BLS unit gets there and no longer requires our assistance, which then leaves us availible for more calls in our first due.
    Please tell me how this is not serving our area? It seems as though having a BLS ambulance would actually HURT our service. We respond quickly, efficently and many times with members that area actually paramedics at their other jobs.

Now having a paramedic unit (either fire engine or transport) in our fire house is another story entirely.

Care to comment?
    Last edited by blankfireman; 06-10-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: PG EMS workload

Originally posted by MikeWard
    Policies in the better staffed facilities also create excessive ems workload. One national extended care facility has a policy that every unwitnessed fall of a patron REQUIRES a 9-1-1 call and evaluation. So when a resident slips off a chair and sits on a carpeted floor - EMS is called. In nearby Fairfax County, one of these facilities generates 7 to 15 calls a week.
    I live in King County, WA. Here we have implemented a program where 2 of the 3 major 911 call centers in the county have a nurse line where minor calls (i.e. "I cut my finger") are transferred rather than dispatching BLS resources. The RN then deals with the caller and if he/she feels EMS resources are necessary, sends the call back to the 911 center. 99% of the time no one is dispatched and the problem is dealt with without sending anybody. To my knowledge, there have been no problems with this system. In 2003, 696 calls were referred there. It sounds like out here your call may well have been sent to the nurse line.

Have you all considered a program like this?

See http://www.metrokc.gov/health/ems/20...2003report.pdf for more info. It's on page 34 of the 2003 King County EMS annual report.

Forum Member

Originally posted by blankfireman
    Tillerman25-
    We are able to do this and clear when the BLS unit gets there and no longer requires our assistance, which then leaves us availible for more calls in our first due.
    Please tell me how this is not serving our area? It seems as though having a BLS ambulance would actually HURT our service. We respond quickly, efficently and many times with members that area actually paramedics at their other jobs.
    What about the other areas that you pull ambulances from to do your transports? You're back in service, but they're not.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got called into work for the second time this weekend. Give me a few hours and I will comment. Because your logic is skewered.

The dude above me said it well....MP33 or E331 might be in service, but A389 or A309 is out of service for calls in their own communities. Busy stations with no ambulance are a drag on resources from thier surrounding communities. And yes, M30 or M46 should be at 33 or somewhere in 33's first-due. But that is a County issue....
    Last edited by TillerMan25; 06-12-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Thread Information