Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Red Light Cameras/Speed Cameras

How do you feel about Red Light and/or Speed cameras at intersections or in Mobile Units??

There is a big stink in Ohio right now where the State is trying to prevent the use of these cameras unless a Police Officer is sitting at the intersection to witness the violation.

For those who don't know what they are, they are cameras with radar units mounted (for the speeding) and there are sensors in the pavement that monitor the intersection. If you are caught running the red light it takes 3 pictures.... 1 of the vehicle before entering the intersection (light is shown in it too), another with the vehicle in the intersection, and another that's a close-up the license plate. It also takes a video (6 seconds before and 6 seconds after the light turns red).

The mobile ones are typically in a van and they do the same thing, but for speed.

There are currently 3 cities in OH that have these cameras and more that are looking at them or in the process of getting them. The 3 cities that have them are Toledo, Northwood, and (I believe) Dayton.

The company the makes the cameras is out of Arizona and they install and maintain them and there is no cost to the city. The city then receives roughly 25% of the $90-$95 fine.

Do you have these cameras in your area? What are your thoughts on them?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I understand them, but I don't like them. Police can't be everywhere at once, but I have seen studies that have showed no change in the running of red lights or an increase in accidents as people are gunning it to beat the yellows and avoid a ticket.

Funny story:

The City of Greensboro her in NC had these things up. Somehow, the school department had it figured out that they should be getting 90% of the collections from the lights. They took it to court, won and the judge said give them the 90%. They were told all along that if they got the 90% then the left over 10% would not cover the bond to buy the cameras and the cost to maintain them and mail out the tickets. The schools still fought it. City commissioners voted a few weeks later, now the cameras that are less than a year or two old are being taken down, never to be used again. The schools are out of the money they were going to get, and people can run the reds without worry.

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

My older brother was stationed in Germany for about a year when the troops were in Saudi. He came back to the states and after about a month of being here he received a piece of mail. Yep, got caught on one of these cameras and had the pay a whopper fine. He didn't even know he'd been busted.
    I think they help law enforcement, but are they really accurate and how would you contest it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    OMG! You would think that a school body would be smarter then that!
    Here they are moulding our future generations.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

I'm torn on the issue.

For the most part these cameras are being viewed by most governments as a revenue source. Sure, they will say that the reason is public safety, but always note how quickly the conversation turns to the amount of money they'll generate. In addition, private companies often handle the entire process - right down to the issuance of the citation. Occassionally, these companies will be paid a per-ticket fee so they have a financial incentive to write more tickets. I don't think it would go over too well if Police officers got paid by the arrest or got a percentage of the fine but that's exactly what's happening with some of these camera systems. I think you're heading down a very slippery slope when you privatize law enforcement functions and include a profit motive as part of the privatization. I also don't like viewing LE operations as a potential revenue source.

Now, the cameras themselves are a wonderful idea. I work in Montgomery (Alabama's capitol city), and every commute is a near-death experience. It is no exaggeration to say that I witness a red light violation at almost every single intersection, during every single light cycle. Often, I get to watch garbage trucks bust the light at MPD headquarters. Putting cameras in the intersections would cut down on violations and provide great evidence of the at-fault driver in the event of an accident caused by someone's failure to yield. That's the use I think is appropriate for the cameras.

Mount them to deter light-runners, use them to identify violaters that cause accidents, and charge the at fault driver using the tape as evidence. Don't use them to enhance your city's general fund.

At the end of this month, they will be banned in the Commonwealth of Virginia!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

We have them in Texas, but the cops can't to anything about us speeding or running a red light. I think they tried once and the owner of the car challenged to court to prove that he was driving the car at the time. Since then the cameras can't be used to issue tickets.

It wasnít me honest camera. My brothers friendís cousin, sisters, bother in law was using my truck to move a washer. Then he let his neighbors friendís wifeís sister use it to get lunch. I was not driving it at the time. Or was it my wife or could of been the boy or my mom I donít know who was driving can you tell me.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber Fletch 8903's Avatar

In Cincinnati, they approved the use of red light cameras because they are fighting a budget crunch. They didn't even pretend that it was a public safety issue, they readily said it was an untapped funding resource.

At least here they were honest about their motives.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Don't even go there...these hateful things are the bane of Driving in the UK...almost everywhere...purely as revenue raisers for the Police Forces....

I have been caught three times in the past couple of years...and I'm no teenage hot head... I now have 9 points on my licence... three more (one more capture) and I face a ban...and all that will do for my job etc....

1) Caught at 58 just after a 70 turned to a 50...at 1am on an empty motorway

2) 11:30 at night, busted a red by about 1 second

3) Doing 33 on a 30 mph road....with a new 20 mph limit for 200 yards because of a narrow lane!!!! (And these are the digital ones that record your speed along a stretch of road and work out your average)

They are enough to make me leave the goddam Country

Rant Over!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Steve, if you get caught by one of them here, you do not get points on your license........ Just the fine........ If you don't pay the fine, it goes on your credit report and the fine is increased......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

That's more like it...jeez, I'd pay the damned fine...as unfair as they are no problem, if I thought my licence would stay clean.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

HERE IS A LINK to an article from Cleveland, OH about the cameras.......
    IACOJ

The company the makes the cameras is out of Arizona and they install and maintain them and there is no cost to the city. The city then receives roughly 25% of the $90-$95 fine.
    This is a revenue generating venture.. for the company that owns the cameras!

What we need to get is the James Bond revolving license plate!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-13-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

If they really were designed with public safety in mind, you would lose points when caught, not pay a fine. A puny financial penalty won't make you stop speeding.

Instead, up here in Canada (where they are still used) you pay a fine, but lose no demerit points. Supposedly so you don't get stuck with the penalty if you loan your car to a friend.

If I loaned my car to a friend, and he came back with 3 demerit points, he wouldn't be getting my car anymore. Thus, no unsafe driving.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

I support these on intersections because i think running a red light is a serious safety violation. My concern however is that when i'm zipping down the highway doing 65-70 i'm going to be getting handfulls of fines in the mail.

Red light cams have been in the City of New York for years now. Big MONEY maker for the city. Except for the one on West End Ave. and West 66th Street. To many photo's of fire department rigs and giving the city the #1 sign.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 06-13-2005 at 08:20 PM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I have seen a few reports, I think in Washington D.C., that at many intersections, the number of rear end collisions have increased since people are slamming brakes on so they don't get a ticket.

It isn't about safety, it is about money.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    I have seen a few reports, I think in Washington D.C., that at many intersections, the number of rear end collisions have increased since people are slamming brakes on so they don't get a ticket.

It isn't about safety, it is about money.
    [size=huge]Bing-freakin-o![/size]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information