MembersZone Subscriber

Default Man Sues Over Exploding Porta-Potty

Man Sues Over Exploding Porta-Potty
    Posted 6/2/2005 08:20 AM

The lawsuit alleges Pennsylvania man was injured when methane gas leaked into the toilet and ignited when he lit a cigarette.
    Story by The Associated Press

A Pennsylvania man injured when a portable toilet exploded is suing a general contractor and a coal company for negligence.

John Jenkins, 53, and his wife, Ramona Jenkins, of Brave, Pa., filed the lawsuit in Monongalia County Circuit Court in Morgantown on Tuesday. They are suing Chisler Inc., a general contractor from Fairview, and Eastern Associated Coal for $10 million.

The explosion occurred July 13, 2004, at Parrish Shaft in Blacksville. Jenkins is a North West Fuels Development methane power plant operator. He entered a portable toilet, sat down and tried to light a cigarette. When he struck the lighter, the toilet exploded.

The lawsuit says the cigarette ignited methane gas leaking from a pipe underneath the unit.

Eastern Associated Coal owns the property where the explosion occurred. Jenkins alleges Chisler ran over the pipelines with heavy equipment before the incident, causing the methane gas leak.

Jenkins had severe burns on his face, neck, arms, torso and legs. The lawsuit says he is permanently disfigured.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Forum Member

Jenkins had severe burns on his face, neck, arms, torso and legs. The lawsuit says he is permanently disfigured.
    .... while sitting on the john??? me thinks there are burns elsewhere!! ooooooooooooooooooooooooouch!!!!

I hate to laugh at peoples injuries, but sometimes the circumstances just make it impossible not to. Was the FD dispatched to this one? If so, did the dispatcher complete the assignment without laughing!

"Engine 1 respond on the reported porta-potty explosion, possible entrapment"

Once on scene does the OIC declare himself as Porta-potty command???

Forum Member

Sh@tty job.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Once on scene does the OIC declare himself as Porta-potty command???
    Well... ya know one of the principles of the ICS is to name the task or operation/scene...........
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Arrow Just impossible...ask Mythbusters.

According to Mythbusters, this "myth" is busted. Couldn't have happened...
    We ALL know that they can't be wrong!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Default Re: Man Sues Over Exploding Porta-Potty

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Man Sues Over Exploding Porta-Potty
    Posted 6/2/2005 08:20 AM

They are suing Chisler Inc., a general contractor from Fairview, and Eastern Associated Coal for $10 million.
    Sounds like their the ones being chisled.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I've been to a Porta Potty fire before....let me tell ya, there ain't much left to save once they get going....burned down to the base by the time we arrived (they're nearly 100% plastic, after all...)
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

That'll feel good when it quits hurting.

In all seriousness, when we used to have the race in town, we'd have several porta-john fires. We've saved a few (still structuraly sound) but most of them make it to the ground before we can even get there. Nothing like the big ol mess of a block of 12 of them up in flames.

Thread Information