MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Pride in your truck??

Hi all, I was just wondering what everyone's thoguhts were on how much pride and dedication you have in your first due truck, whether rescue, engine, ladder, etc.

Everyday that I am at work, I go over my truck every inch to check any problems with it. I pop the hood, check tire tread, any cuts, any damage to the truck, I wash it, check every piece of equipment and make sure it is clean, Pull airpacks out and make sure the gauge on bottle is up to par, clean airpacks if I need to, check water level, hose lays, then when the truck is dry I pull it in the bay and detail the inside of it and make sure the outside is extremely clean, detail compartments, etc.

I like to drive around and people say, "wow, he really takes care of his truck".

I like to pull into headquarters and the chiefs, captains, etc say to themselves that I have alot of pride in my job and I really dedicate myself to my truck. They can open any door and see that I keep my truck clean on my shift, I like the public to see that I love my job and take care of my trucks also. This way when we need a new truck at my station, the chiefs will say, this crew on this shift really takes care of their trucks so lets give them a new truck and send their old truck to another station. Even the other crews at the station comment all the time about how clean I keep the truck. You always gotta look into the future and see what could happen to you if you show them how much you care. I may not officially hold the title of driver engineer, but I go above and beyond my call of duty for my truck. Not only is my life on the line in that truck, but so is my partners and anyone else on that roadway that is around us.

Sometimes I wonder if I go a little over board with my truck, like right now, they hose tested our truck and I don't like the hose bed so I am going to rip all the supply line off the truck and reload it with my partner on Monday. If something isn't perfect on my truck, I take it off, clean it and replace it back on the truck.

Forum Member

Wow, you mean I'm not the only one?

Im a bit "anal" about my rigs. I check every inch of it every shift. Others sweep out the cab, I vacume. They wipe down the outside of the compartments, I do the inside as well. I think I'm the only one that uses the tire shine.

I just finished waxing our back up engine. I spent at least a couple hours on it for SIX shifts. Wash, wax (2 coats), chrome polish, lens polish, mop and vacume the cab, clean the upholstry, took all the equipment out of the compartments and wiped them down, then cleaned and reorginized the equipment. Rain-X on all the windows and lots of tire shine.

Did I say I was anal?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Hey Dave, wanna come help me do the same thing to our trucks?

57 hours and I barely got 2 trucks done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well.. I not so strange after all. Except for the part each morning I demand that my men worship me as the GOD that I am.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Dave, I do that every shift. Right now actually I am trying to polish the diamond plate so it looks new

We both know how the Florida sun can kill the light bars.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by fightn15
    Hey Dave, I do that every shift. Right now actually I am trying to polish the diamond plate so it looks new

Try AlumBrite. I'm not sure who makes it but you spray on and hose it off, after a few munites.

Forum Member

Originally posted by fightn15

Your not kidding. Its funny, everyone thought I was nuts when I started cleaning the lenses. That is untill they saw the results. Now the lenses are waxed along with the rest of the rig.

I gave up on the diamond plate. Years ago, we cleaned up one of the old engines for an antique truck show. A couple of us spent about 6 weeks on it. Polishing, touching up paint etc. I took on the job of cleaning the diamond plate. I used Never-Dull, and it took pretty much the whole 6 weeks. It looked great, for about 3 months. After that I said screw it.

I think the key to not let it get "bad" in the first place, which is what we are doing with the new rigs. We have this liquid cleaner that you put in the wash bucket with water (like you would do with soap) then brush it on and rinse. Works pretty well, so far.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983
    I think I'm the only one that uses the tire shine.
    I am really obsessive about our first out engine...I vaccume, wash windows, clean compartments, polish the diamond plate and chrome, and I do love tire shine! Only bad thing is that stuff is very hard to wash off, and after a while it builds up on there. Then, in the winter, when we go to chain up the truck it gets all over you and ruins shirts...it's worse than grease.

One thing I DON'T DO...Armor-All...last time someone did that I was the one who went for a ride!
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

It's department policy here that the trucks get washed after every time they roll. Squads on the other hand, do not. If it's raining or snowing we'd be washing them four or five times a day. In fact, we took our aerial to another department a while back for training and they asked us if it was brand new. Nope, it's ten years old.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool FireGal!.................

Originally posted by Co11FireGal

I am really obsessive about our first out engine...I vaccume, wash windows, clean compartments, polish the diamond plate and chrome, and I do love tire shine! Only bad thing is that stuff is very hard to wash off, and after a while it builds up on there. Then, in the winter, when we go to chain up the truck it gets all over you and ruins shirts...it's worse than grease.

One thing I DON'T DO...Armor-All...last time someone did that I was the one who went for a ride!
    I can't imagine that some idiot Armoralled the Seat. Happened here too. ONCE. Never again. But, look in the auto supply stores for "Meguiar's Endurance Tire Protectant Gel". You'll know if you got it, when you take the top off, it has a strong Grape smell. This stuff is the best I've ever seen, no "Spin off" leaving spots on the side of the vehicle at 50 mph, like the liquid stuff does. Turtle Wax makes a "Tire Wax" that is not bad, but I prefer Meguiars.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

See...its unfortunate when we take pride in our trucks in my town that we just get labeled "parade trucks"...people are just jealous that our trucks are in good condition and that we occasionally win a few trophies with them....I try to keep my truck pretty clean because you never know whos gonna be looking at it...and yes maguires Tire Shine is the best...If its the one with the applicator then make sure you wear gloves when using it!! I learned that lesson...and make sure you dont rub against the tire when your standing around BS'ing....its not fun trying to get that off your clothes..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

The trick to tire shine is be sure and wipe off the excess with a rag. Rub it in a bit. That will prevent the shine from spinning off while going down the road and getting all over things. Also wipe off any over spray that gets on the wheels. That stuff attracts dust/dirt like a magnet.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983
    The trick to tire shine is be sure and wipe off the excess with a rag. Rub it in a bit. That will prevent the shine from spinning off while going down the road and getting all over things. Also wipe off any over spray that gets on the wheels. That stuff attracts dust/dirt like a magnet.
    This may sound nuts to you but for the tires, try Mop-N-Glow floor wax. The dirt does not seem to stick as much as the tire shine products. Some hay haulers out here told me about it and it works pretty good. Also, for the dash vinyl use baby oil instead of armorall, it reduces the chance of drying out and cracking the dash.
    IAFF

former FH.com member

Wow, you all have a lot of dedication to your rigs appearance. That's admirable. As long as the Truck and equipment are clean and servicable that's good enough for me. I don't tend to go nuts with that stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Diamond plate cleaning tip-

go to napa, get napa brand aluminum spray cleaner, a can or twenty of mothers aluminum polish, and some tooth brushes, yep tooth brushes, brand new when ya get the technique down, beware tho, your fingers are gonna hurt like hell
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Wow, you all have a lot of dedication to your rigs appearance. That's admirable. As long as the Truck and equipment are clean and servicable that's good enough for me. I don't tend to go nuts with that stuff.
    46Truck I have to agree. We barely have enough time to get things checked out in the morning and then we are off on calls for service, prevention programs, training, special projects and the like. As long as everything is in working order I can live with a few scratches and dings in the appratus.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default "anal-tivity"

I guess I am not at all anal, cause I just take the truck to the local cheerleaders carwash, and give them a 50, and tell them to make it shine. When I get back to the station, I give the tires, and the interior a good "once over " and call it good. That is about 10 times as much as anyone else does, so I suppose it will be acceptable.

Thread Information