Forum Member

Default Steering wheel pull

What is the most effective way to pull a steering wheel with come-a-long. Is there a preferred anchor point, specialized cribbing needed, or a certain way to wrap the cable or chain around the wheel or column? Differences for tilt versus fixed columns? patient/responder protection from cable snaps?

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been told that pulling steering wheels were not effective or safe on late model (>1990?) cars. Let me know if this is wrong.

Forum Member

Let me know if this is wrong.
    Ok, we are letting you know you're wrong. It may be very effective and it will be very safe if it's done the correct way. There were lots of rumours and myths about tilt steering columns breaking at the knuckles, but when done properly this won't happen. Like everything else, it's another option to learn and train on.

We have a ~12" diameter round by ~12" long tree trunk section that we use when pulling columns. The roundness of it let's it roll easily with the chain/cable and makes pulling columns easy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Bones. We'll have to add this to our tool box. We had been told that the knuckle on the steering system was not strong like on older cars and would break easily. So much of this stuff you hear are from people who haven't tried it. It is good to hear from someone who has.

Forum Member

When i did my extrication school they had a specialized device for pulling columns. It was a scissor like device the layed on the hood and achored to axle or other strong point. You then drop a chain on top of the column and then bring the ends up on opposite sides. Then hook the chain on the column to one end of the scissory device and hook your comealong inbetween the two "blades". and then you just pull on the come-a-long and it pulls the column up and then back. works real slick we were going to make one but our welder hasnt gotten around to it yet.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

FIGJAM

We have a ~12" diameter round by ~12" long tree trunk section that we use when pulling columns. The roundness of it let's it roll easily with the chain/cable and makes pulling columns easy.
    We had a wheel rim that was cut in half and welded to a flat plate with small spikes in the bottom of it. (about 10mm long)

The wheel rim gave a good sliding platform for the chains and the spikes in the bottom of the flat plate helped it lock into place on top of the dash or hood assembly
    Luke

Forum Member

Or use a Columnmaster(sp?).If I were to pull a tilt column,and I'm not a big fan of pulling any column,I'd hook on the radiator side of the pivot.The log's a good idea although I find that 12"is a bit surley,a 4-6" round works nicely or 4 or 5 pieces of 4x4 on a modified pyramid.The half wheel would also be an excellent choice.The neat thing about the Columnmaster is that it multiplies the mechanical advantage making easier work on your comealong.Or a winch,properly rigged. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-10-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Forum Member

I think that is what it was called was the columnmaster.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

we teach steering column pulls. What ever device you use, we feel it is important to wrap the column close to the dash & in such a way that the chain will cinch down on the column as the pull is applied. I discourage steering column pulls if live drivers side airbags are present.
    good luck

Thread Information