Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down Fire on Canadian warship

What, does the Canadian government need to be hit over the head with a hammer before they figure out our military is in big big trouble? Do more pilots/soldiers/sailors/submariners need to die first?

Fire on Canadian warship sends crew to hospital
    CTV.ca News Staff

Several crew members of HMCS Toronto remain in hospital this morning, following a fire aboard their frigate on Monday.

It is unclear how many sailors were injured, or what their condition might be.

Navy spokesman Mike Bonin said the navy has decided not to give out any information, claiming it involves personal medical information.

On Monday, Bonin said crew members were taken to hospital for "very, very minor observations."

The crew members will be transferred to a military hospital later today for a checkup, Bonin said.

The blaze on the frigate broke out at 7:10 a.m. on Monday in the vessel's auxiliary machinery room. It happened as the vessel sat docked in Halifax.

Personnel from three other ships and a fire tug joined the crew of the frigate to help battle the fire, which took over 45 minutes to extinguish.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

This is the third fire in less than a year that the Canadian navy is dealing with a fire aboard one of its vessels.

Last fall, a major fire broke out aboard the submarine HMCS Chicoutimi. One officer died and eight others suffered smoke inhalation.

And last February, there was a fire aboard HMCS Fredericton while it was docked in Hamilton, Bermuda.

No one was injured in that blaze, which was traced to a faulty transformer in an electrical panel.

HMCS Toronto has taken part in operations in the former Yugoslavia and Iraq.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

As Rick (Malahat27) can probably support, fires on warships (and subs) are more common than we might like to think. My little brother was on the Algonquin for 5 years, one of our older Destroyers, and they had little incidents at least yearly. That is the cost of an aging fleet, but the Toronto is quite new.

After the sub incident last year, special attention is being paid to this stuff, and I suspect that was why all the sailors were shipped out to hospital after this one. Obviously the OIC on the sub learned too late about the delayed effects of smoke inhalation. Hopefully that lesson doesn't have to be re-learned in the future.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

no offence to the canadians but sounds like they need to visit the Farrier fire school in Norfolk Virginia. I beleive it is the best shiopboard fire school in the world.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Originally posted by Firedan38
    Farrier fire school in Norfolk Virginia. I beleive it is the best shiopboard fire school in the world.
    Don't count out MARAD in Toledo, OH........ The guy who runs it is very well known and has travelled all over and had people travel from all over to train with him. He has also received numerous awards for his training.........

Fire40man or ffsmromstadt13 could give you some more info!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default shipboard fires

It's really not all the unusual for the U.S. Navy to have shipboard either. You just don't hear about it. There is a lot of machinery and electrical components on a Navy vessel that can cause a fire at anytime. I don't really believe the entire fault should lie on the Canadian government. It's just the nature of the job. Now maybe the government to expend a little more cash for mantinence of these vessels but no matter how ship shape a sea going vessel is there is still a signifigant threat of fire. I have been to the Farrier fire school several times and it is a great school with awesome equipment that trains shipboards firefighters very well. But you can't train the ship to not catch on fire.

Military maxim no 1.

Your weapon WAS built by the lowest bidder.

Think Ship, Think lots of lowest bidders.

Put crew in ship, sail all over the place.

Fire happen, ask DrkBLam.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Your weapon WAS built by the lowest bidder.

Think Ship, Think lots of lowest bidders.
    That analogy is certainly just as accurate up here, as down under.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Banned

fires on warships happen almost everyday. I joined the royal navy when i was 16 and had just graduated high school. the first ship I ever served on was known as a fire trap. every other day there would be some kind of fire. It was an old destroyer, infact the only one of its kind ever built. I used to loved fighting fires onboard as they are a huge challenge.

Thread Information