Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attack Lines

Originally posted by cfire3

Oh me! You must be thinking of someone else. I'm not selling anything. But You might not relize how expensive a tank of your free water actually cost your tax payers. CAFS has been documented by many agencies to be several times more efficiant than water for fire extinguishment. How about if it was just twice as efficiant instead of twenty times as efficiant (National Institute of Standards and Technology says CAFS is Twenty times more efficiant). That would be equivelant to having an extra $500,000 tanker at your fire. It would also mean you could save twice as much of the property in half as much time. And then there is the toxic products of combustion that are carried with your free water down the driveway and into the storm drains that run into your city water supply. Oh! well, I guess the tax payers won't mind you draining the hydrants in the drought areas, after all water is free. Where did you say you live???

Do more with less, work smarter, not harder.
    Uhhhhhhhh.......... We live in Northwest Ohio in a suburban/urban area..... Plenty of hydrants...... And water comes from the lake..... If we run out of water, there are a lot more serious issues to worry about.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by cfire3
    We use two 1.5 preconnects to our CAFS unit.

Saves water and labor. One 1.5 CAFS puts out more fire than any 2.5 water waster. And our department gets re-imbursed by the homeowners policy for the cost of the foam and the use of the truck and manpower that applied it.

Why are you still using plain old water?

Any chalengers?
    I think the "any challengers" is what may have got to some. I have still seen houses burn to the ground using foam. If the fire is so intense the fire stream never make it to the fire what is the use. Sometimes you just have to ramp up and go to a heavier stream. We use Class "A" and love it. But don't let the product lure you into bad habits. Remember good fire fighting tactics. The right tool for the job.

Forum Member

I recon the "challenge" comment was a bit too agressive, I was just trying to stir up a little debate. I know there will never be a tool that will stop every fire, at least not in my lifetime, but it has taken nearly twenty years to get the fire service to accept using foam for more than oil wells and aircraft fires. And still there are the hold outs that can't think of a good reason to put the fire out faster and easier while reducing the pollution in the air and in the water. It seems they think it all pays the same, why bother with changes. But it's getting a little better I think. Anyway it was really a thrill to put out a coal mine fire 2,000 below the surface and never break a sweat. There are only 112 more still burning.

Hope to get a shot at more of them.
    Mark Cummins

MembersZone Subscriber

In 1978 we were using pine oil, 5 gallion to 500 gallions of water premixed. What a mess. But it worked. It just takes time. Some depts won't start (if ever) using it until ISO or the State they operate in manidates it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use 2-200ft 1.75 preconnect
    1-200Ft 2.5 preconnect
    1-200ft 3.o blitz line
    1200 ft 4.0 supply line

Called our truck manufacture about retroing CAFS on the 30+ year old truck, they sugested we buy a newer truck.
    My son has it where he works, likes it, saves water and the hose is lighter. If FEMA takes pitty on us we will have CAFS otherwise it will be a long time coming.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Originally posted by 5pts384

Called our truck manufacture about retroing CAFS on the 30+ year old truck, they sugested we buy a newer truck.
    [/B]
    Just a suggestion, could you consider finding a self-contained air compressor with at least 185 cfm and adding a connection to it so that you can lay a water hose from your ageing and limited spaced fire truck to supply the compressor with 100 gpm @ 120 psi water?

This type of commercial air compressor is usually found in a trailer configuration or a slip-on that can fit into a fast response pickup truck or rescue truck. These are extremely reliable sources of large air supply. And a whole lot less expensive than the add on CAFS.

A small pneumatic injector pump can supply the concentrate to the discharge and this configuration doesn't effect your fire trucks normal operation in any way except to change its water supply into twenty to sixty times more effectivnes.

Of course the fire truck manufacturers would love for you to stop ordering those expensive, complex, mechanical CAFS nightmares that they have been repairing daily, so they can get back to designing the massive water pumpers without the separate chemical, pneumatic supply, and air control systems.

And yes..... I am considering selling these darned things. So I appologise if this sounds like a sales add, it's really just a market research idea.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mark Cummins

Forum Member

Cross lays

2 - 200’ 1 3/4” lines with 15/16” smooth bore

Hose bed

200’ 2 1/2” with 1 1/4” smooth bore - Preconnected

600’of 2 1/2” with 1 1/4” smooth bore threaded leader line end with 150’ of 1 3/4” attached

Default First due engine

2/200' 1 1/2 crosslay
    150' 1 1/2 quick attack (front bumper)
    1,000' 2 1/2 hose bed
    800' 1 1/2 hose bed

Thread Information