Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Default Nice Photograph...

Posted on behalf of Tooanfrom

The photograph below shows a red Doberman licking an exhausted fireman.

He had just saved her from a fire in her house, rescuing her by carrying her out of the house into her front yard, while he continued to fight the fire.

She is pregnant.

The firefighter was afraid of her at first, because he had never been around a Doberman before.

When he finally got done putting the fire out, he sat down to catch his breath and rest.

A photographer from the Charlotte, North Carolina newspaper, "The Observer," noticed this red Doberman in the distance looking at the fireman.

He saw her walking straight toward the fireman and wondered what she was going to do.

As he raised his camera, she came up to the tired man who had saved her life and the lives of her babies, and kissed him, just as the photographer snapped this photograph.

And people say animals are dumb - yeah right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Great shot, Great story !

Great Post

That's great.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber Fletch 8903's Avatar

The photo is awesome, though the story is not quite right. This picture turned up on Snopes.com with a different explanation of how the event happened (as related by the firefighter in the picture).

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Originally posted by LtDPSJFD
    The photo is awesome, though the story is not quite right. This picture turned up on Snopes.com with a different explanation of how the event happened (as related by the firefighter in the picture).
    You know when I received this I thought as much... like many photos out there in cyberspace with 1000 stories behind a photograph... but its a nice 'story' and an excellent photograph.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 06-08-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Originally posted by LtDPSJFD
    Lt...you're just going to make us go to snopes to find out the truth, aren't you???

Ok...here it is (still a good pic):

Origins: The scene pictured above was captured by Charlotte Observer Patrick Schneider during a house fire in July 1999 and shows firefighter Jeff Clark receiving a doggie greeting from a pregnant red Doberman named Cinnamon. As the Observer described the circumstances behind the photograph in an April 2005 retrospective:
    Charlotte firefighter Jeff Clark and Cinnamon, a pregnant red Doberman, gained international exposure with this photograph snapped by the Observer's Patrick Schneider during a July 1999 house fire.

Seen through wire services and the Internet, the picture has moved people around the world and is still a top reprint seller.
    However, the text that now accompanies e-mailed versions of the photograph is inaccurate in suggesting that Cinnamon was "thanking" firefighter Clark for saving her life "by carrying her out of the house into her front yard." As Clark himself explained, he didn't rescue the dog, and his encounter with her was pure happenstance:
    We didn't do anything (special) to save Cinnamon.

When we have a house fire, we have to do a primary search. There could be people home and inside. Our first major concern is life safety. That house was full of smoke and we couldn't see it very well. All I saw was a dog run out, and one was (already) in the backyard. I think Cinnamon got out the door herself.

The dog approached me. As soon as I knelt down and took my mask off, Patrick was coming around the corner of the house and took the picture.

Jeff Clark is still with the Charlotte Fire Department. Cinnamon eventually gave birth to five puppies and lived for several more years until she passed away in January 2005.

Now come on guys- a couple of weeks ago we had a complaint becasue of a photo of a baby sleeping on clean turn out gear- now look at this!

We've got a FF being licked clean by a dog- what germs is the bloke gonna get there? And don't even get me started on the issues from the dog's perspective! Maybe it died in Jan 2005 because of something it licked off this guys face! I mean, who knows where the FF has been and who with!!! Maybe the dog got some sort of cancer from the muck on the FF's face...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Does Doggie Cancer qualify for LODD benefits?

Maybe you should put "Cinnamon" on the National Monument.

Cute Picture though.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm scared of most dogs. I love bassett hounds, beagles, etc. so if a doberman came over to me, I'd probably be scared but this one looks so sweet.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Red face Mea Culpa

I asked Steve Dude to post the article in question simply because he is what I consider a mate(altho we have never met).
    His ability on the computer far exceeds mine-as I have already stated elsewhere-I got a right "bollocking" for using a new fangled biro instead of the ink and nib issued by the school (I think I may have been 9 yrs old-1949!)
    This post was triggered by the thing that most if not all firefighters are driven by-helping someone or in this case, a fellow creature on this planet that needed help.
    Like all dog lovers I have never met a bad dog-met plenty of bad owners tho!

Seems we have to check and question even the most innocent, and in this case charming article.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'm gonna pretend the story about the rescue is true....and enjoy that wonderful feeling it gave me.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Talking

Originally posted by paris04
    I'm scared of most dogs. I love bassett hounds, beagles, etc. so if a doberman came over to me, I'd probably be scared but this one looks so sweet.

I've been called a dog before, but you shouldn't be scared of me. I normally don't bite and I am sweet too.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Regardless of the "real story" behind the photo, its still a GREAT shot. And being a dog owner myself.... (is that prejudice? LOL)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

The irony is... that firefighter will get more recognition for the photo with the dog than anything else he does in his career.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Same meat-different gravy

Capt Gonzo-similar set up-just prior to the LFB strike in, I think, 1976. A giraffe named George died while trying to copulate with a female giraffe at London Zoo.
    This made front page headlines- a complete front page devoted to this event,how sad! How tragic! Etc, ad infinitum.
    Same newspaper, but buried on the back page about 5 or 6 short sentences---"Two firemen killed while trying to rescue children"

Their last words were "We are going in, there are kids inside"
    Not a bad epitaph, is it?

This made us London Fire Fighters realise where we were on the scale of things---Giraffes=very expensive. Firemen=cheap as chips, just open another box, this lot is past its sell by date.

And yes, I am still very bitter after all these years.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

Originally posted by allineedisu

I've been called a dog before, but you shouldn't be scared of me. I normally don't bite and I am sweet too.

Gag me

great pic!!!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

THe difference is that this pic is not a whackerish picture that was set up. This pic is just plain cute.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Uh, Yeah..........

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The irony is... that firefighter will get more recognition for the photo with the dog than anything else he does in his career.
    Thought your post was pretty cool, posted over your signature line.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

this photograph is really "famous";i saw it many times on different french forums or blogs.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Thread Information