Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People's "Pets"

Default People's "Pets"

Millville, NJ House Fire

Now the vision I have in my head is crawling through this structure dealing with the regular difficulties of operating as an interior FF only to meet up with the nice little snake in the last picture in the article!!

I can see the RIT team now... he's tangled in a what?? You go, no you go, no really YOUUUUUUU GO!!!!

My uncle Don, a retired firefighter from Flagstaff Arizona once was doing a search in a house fire when he felt something "slither" into his bunker coat. He let the IC know about it and the IC pulled the troops out until he knew what they were going up against. It turned out that the owner of the home was an instructor at Arizona State University/Flagstaff and taught herpetology.. the study of snakes. He had everything from harmless garter snakes to rattlers in his "collection".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Baseball cards, coins, spoons, shot glasses.... those are things that fall in the "eligible to be a collection" category! SNAKES!!! One is one too many in my book so a collection of them.... no I don't think so!

Although on a lighter note I did 'collect' one with the lawnmower over the weekend! Kind of amazing how one snake can turn into many in such a brief second! Now that's the type of snake collection I'm talking about!!!

Forum Member

Default How about an alligator

We had a structure fire here a couple years ago and the owner made it known he had a pet alligator in his house and wanted it rescued. So our chief made the announcement that we would be locating this alligator. The firefighters went in doing a search and rescue when my husband located it under a table. Unsure of how big it was he called for his partners to help. Well... none of them wanted to try to pick it up... they were unsure of how to do that. Here in Ohio we see alligators at the zoo not in a house. So next thing my husband knew he heard a hiss and a snap and he had the alligator in his hands. He said he remembered from the crocodile hunter to try to grab its mouth and tail. He came flying out of the house stopped long enough to puke from the adrenaline and threw the alligator in a trash can. I'm sorry to say the alligator did not make it past a week at the vets office, but it's always a funny story to tell.

Forum Member

I was sitting on my front porch today around noon and happened to see a little garter snake chilling in the bushes right next to the house. Personally, I like snakes...and definitely don't appreciate people celebrating over hacking them to bits with a lawn mower. I mean seriously, what has that snake ever done to you? He won't bite unless he feels threatened, especially if they're a venemous snake. They only have so much venom and won't use it on something unless that something is food (which we humans are too large to be considered) or if it feels it is a direct threat to it's life.

It's just like with bees, everyone freaks out and yells, "Kill it before it stings me," whilst flailing around wildly. Let's think about this...when a bee stings someone, it does also, therefore a bee won't sting unless it's hive is being threatened or it's going to die anyway. If you just stay calm and let it go about it's business you'll be fine. If you flail wildly, you have the chance of hitting it and it stinging you...

When will humans learn? I swear I have more tolerance for animals than humans....ugh...

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Berks2Montco84
    He won't bite unless he feels threatened, especially if they're a venemous snake. They only have so much venom and won't use it on something unless that something is food (which we humans are too large to be considered) or if it feels it is a direct threat to it's life.
    And you think they won't feel threatened with the place full of smoke and firefighters doing their jobs because....? You see, I'm just like the snake. I won't attack unless I feel threatened. The only snake I've ever liked happened to be battered and deep fried at the time we met.

As for the issues with bees, it all depends on the circumstances. If they're agitated, they're going after whatever they perceive as a threat, and it's usually en masse. The actual "threat" may not even be what they go after.

I've not seen a snake or a bee yet that responded to, "Down, boy!"
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Originally posted by Steamer

And you think they won't feel threatened with the place full of smoke and firefighters doing their jobs because....?
    Granted, but my comment wasn't just referring to encounters in fires. For example, let's use the little garter snake that has taken up residence outside my house. It was completely content to sit there and soak up the sun while I took pictures of it, sometimes to within a foot of it. That is what I like to call a symbiotic relationship, I get pictures of an awesome snake, and he get's to have his pictures posted on the internet displaying his awesomeness. But the moral of the story is, he didn't care what I did, unless he sensed I was going to hurt him AND I wasn't afraid of being bitten because I knew I wasn't doing anything to scare him. Quite frankly, I'm happy this little snake has chosen my property as it's home.

He said he remembered from the crocodile hunter to try to grab its mouth and tail.
    As an Australian, I would just like to apologise for his existance. Just so you know, people are not like that here. In fact he is quite an embarrasment to us.
    Again i would like to say sorry.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

snake vs. kangaroo

Snake- 1
    Kangaroo- 0
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Now that's the stuff I'm talking about... Hi otherwise nice snake who is scared to death that is house is really hot and filled with smoke, please don't strangle me and attempt to eat me!

Screw snakes...period...end of story.

"Oh, but they eat mice." Mice don't bother me...in fact, find me a snake-eating mouse and now you've got something!!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    Screw snakes...period...end of story.

"Oh, but they eat mice." Mice don't bother me...in fact, find me a snake-eating mouse and now you've got something!!!
    Ditto!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    ...in fact, find me a snake-eating mouse and now you've got something!!!

MONGOOSE!! Does that count? They're kinda like big mice. Oh, and while we're at it, mice don't bother me either, nor do spiders. You just have to learn to appreciate these animals, they're really quite fascinating....

Forum Member

Default Sorry PattyV

I hope I didn't offend you. I was not trying to I was just stating that he remembered to grab the mouth and tail of the alligator. I was not judging all Australians by the crocodile hunter. Please I've been in the EMS service too long to judge a group of people by one person. Besides you're the parsley man in the bar remember??? I asked you to take me home. So I like you.

Calls like this are why you always carry an ax or other cutting tool.

Here, Mr. Snakey!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

I didnt take offence, i was just apologising for Steve. The funny thing is that his show is rarely on in Australia. His shows will last a season at the most then get cancelled. We dont like him.

btw, out of flat leaf parsely I was gonna get some at the markets today but it wasnt very good stuff.

We have Rats that eat snakes.

A month after I moved into my place I saw what I thought were little worms coming out of a vent under my fireplace. The pest man comes and tells me they were baby snakes! Talk about freaking out! I've found a few more baby snakes there and just have no clue how they were getting in. I think I've finally sealed the place up well enough; didn't have any last year.

Was also digging out some old bushes in my garden and saw a bunch of little snakes below the dirt. I put the bushes back! I just envision myself chopping the snakes up and they regenerate themselves into a bunch of other snakes to invade my home!

Not a good feeling upstairs in bed knowing some little critter might could slither its way upstairs....UGH! How does that song go? "I don't like spiders & snakes..."

Anyone wanna buy a house?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uh Huh..........

Originally posted by PattyV

btw, out of flat leaf parsely I was gonna get some at the markets today but it wasnt very good stuff.
    It's not the parsley, it's what you put on it........ Oh, Brain Cramp, That would be Oregano..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We have Rats that eat snakes.
    Your Rats will eat anything.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Thread Information