Forum Member

Default Paid on call departments

With the onset of the summer months our department is having trouble covering calls. Anyone have any solutions to this problem? We run just over 400 fire/ems calls a year. Day shifts are covered from 8a to 4p by the FT Chief and a PT medic (no shortage of people signing up to sit at the station for $12.50/hr). We are in the process of starting EMS billing to further expand our station staffing, but it looks like that maybe months away. Besides having pride in your department and community what else can be done to intise people to respond to calls?

Forum Member

Are you paid on call now or volunteer looking at a paid on call system as an option to increase response?

Forum Member

we are paid on call now.

Forum Member

So when are you having this trouble ? Daytime ?> Afternoons ? midnights ? how are you staffed for POC ? full ? 40 people how many ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

The dept. that I am on now is paid on call. How we do it is by week. we have 4 companies and each week one company of 7-8 are on. Our day time staffing is 0800-1800 (8-6) and then the companies are responsible. We rotate companies on Thursday nights. So one company will work 1800 thursday until the next thursday at 0800.

Of course during the day time it is an all call and after 2nd tone/page it is an all call. We do have problems sometime at 0200-0400 but we always have mutual aid if we can't staff enough equipment.

Corey
    -Corey
    Moron A.B.
    Spain

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Forum Member

we currently have 25 paid on call people. our day staff cover 8a to 4p mon - fri. weekends are bad along with 4p - 9p at which time we have a some what reliable on call system.
    Last edited by TFDNICK; 06-10-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Forum Member

My department is also really short handed even though we are paid on call. You might could try to work out a staffing system within your department or do something like that...

Forum Member

Options that I see:

- Additional automatic Mutual Aid during daytime hours.
    - "Daytime Premuim" of an extra buck or two an hour.
    - Recruiting program aimed at folks who are available daytime.
    - Talking to local businesses who employ your firefighters about
    letting them respond, even if on a limited basis.
    - Finding ways to make it attractive to hang around the firehouse.

Unfortunatly, this is a tough situation that most vollie/POC departments run through simply because it's generally not a matter of folks choosing not to respond - it's a matter of them not being able to respond. That's why suggestion 3 is to target your recruiting to folks who are available daytime. If you approach local employers, maybe they will allow your folks to leave for limited calls until the situation eases. I didn't list hiring folks, as based on your post, that really does not sound like a practical option, though, I would being to investigate the option and lay the groundwork, as it sounds like the possibility exists that down the road you may have to go that way.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-09-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Thread Information