Forum Member

Default Off duty close calls

Anyone have really scarry stories about close calls that were off duty, car accidents, weather, etc...

To start off. I was sitting at the intersection of 119th street and Quivira. Without warning it felt like a tornado was ripping through. Blew out most of my vans windows. Reports from the news stations had the winds tracked at 70-80+ MPH. It scared the living crap out of me.
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\CCain\My Documents\My Pictures\4587207[/IMG]
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

These pics should work.
    [IMG]
    http://kctv.static.worldnow.com/imag...webcam1450.jpg[/IMG]

FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

- Those are some pretty nasty clouds!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Almost got marreid to woman years ago off duty.

Now I am married to a better class of woman.

Dodged one bullet to get hit by another.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah , ol' Katie Horner got a little worked up last night. She spotted some radar indicated rotation near her own home, and became visibly excited.

Lately I have been dividing time between channel 5 ( KCTV) and 9 (KMBC) as far as weather coverage

Forum Member

I was on my way to the station one night during a tropical storm and had a large trash dumpster shoot out accross the road in front of me Thoese things move pretty fast when empty and pushed by 60mph+ winds
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

The national weather service finaly confirmed that a F-0 touched down at 119th street at quivira for a brief few seconds. So I finnaly got to be near a tornado yea!

pvfire, are you by any chance affilated with consolidated fire district #2 of Ne. Johnson county ks.?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Don't get too many tornadoes in WV, but I have been out backpacking/hiking, climbing, and other outdoor stuff in some pretty nasty storms. I spent over an hour one day in the middle of a clearing hunkered down, sitting on my pack, waiting out an electrical storm. I wasn't going to stop until I saw lightening strike a tree way up on this hill in the distance. Severe weather can be a scary thing when you know you're at least a days hike or better back to civilization.

There is a cave that I like to visit that has a creek that runs by the mouth...went in in the morning, went to come out in the afternoon, it had rained and had to go through pretty high water to get out. Couple more hours it wouldn't have been good.

Was at Broadbent Arena in Kentucky one night a couple years ago, enjoying the annual Bluegrass Bull Bash, when we were all told that we had to leave our seats and go stand around the bottom of the arena due to a tornado sighting in the area. That made me glad to live in the Mountain State, where the terrain just isn't right to sustain a tornado for very long, on the rare occasion that we get one at all.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

NO sir, I am strictly north of the River.

I had promised the wife we would see a movie Wed night, otherwise I would have been in the middle of that mess between Ottowa back up to the city.

Forum Member

One time i was riding my bike when i was younger and got hit by a deer. True story.

Forum Member

Now I am a bigger guy as I play linebacker for my high school football team, but when I was about 10-11 I was kinda small. I was riding my bike home from the pool one day with a friend when we almost got mugger by a bunch of older kids. We rode our bikes to the fire station where I knew alot of the guys and they walked us across the street to the police station.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Less than a mile from home a truck ran me into a ditch, tried to recover but unsucceful. Back onto the road straight into a large tree, hit at square on the end of the dr. side frame. Lucky for me that tree was there. The only one within 100 yards. If I did not hit it I would have launched over a very steep, not quite a cliff, hill. 20 stitched in the head, 3 broken ribs, and a broken nose.
    While working construction we were setting a grain silo, the chain broke and dwon it came. I dove against another one that was laying on the ground and the original fell over me onto the one laying on the ground. Not one scratch after that, just new undies. The third has to do with a motorcycle. Took a curve way to fast. Leaning over just like you should haulin *****, hit some cinder and away I went. I went thru a bush that was 10 - 12 ft. high and just a big around. Luck again was one my side. If not for that bush it would have benn a concrete wall. Of course no helmet. No major injuries just some road rash, scrapes, cuts, and bruises. Still having fun, just at a slower pace. Glad to be alive.

Thread Information