increased.
    From Sunday through Tuesday, when the temperature hit 90 degrees
    each day, firefighters received 261 reports of opened hydrants,
    bringing the total for June to 285. During the first five months of
    the year, the department received 65 reports, most of which were
    leaks, not illegal openings, said Battalion Chief Doug Smith,
    spokesman for the fire division.
    The firefighter who arrived alone Monday to close the hydrant on
    the city's east side called Columbus police for help.
    A man who broke a mirror on the truck was charged with criminal
    damaging.
    "The firefighter was a little wet and a little upset," said
    Columbus Police officer Matt Dunbar, who responded to help. "But
    he was OK."
    About 2,500 gallons of drinking water surge out each minute a
    hydrant is open, costing the city $10 every 60 seconds.
    A large number of open hydrants also lowers water pressure in
    the area, fire officials said.
    "If there's a fire, we might have a tough time getting the
    water pressure to put it out," Smith said.
    To counter the problem, police officers have agreed to begin
    enforcing a law against tampering with hydrants, which carries a
    $300 fine. And the parks department will open two of the city's 11
    pools this weekend, instead of waiting until the scheduled opening
    June 19.
    The city has also ordered 55 tamper-proof caps, which can only
    be opened with a special wrench, to test on some of the hydrants
    most often uncapped.
    A program to open some hydrants in city parks after three
    consecutive days of 90-degree temperatures starts June 20 after
    summer workers begin.
    ---
    Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Thats one advantage of the ball valves that require stand pipes. Not too many people have stand pipes sitting around in their garden shed.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

The City of Toledo, OH started putting in the tamper-proof hydrants a few years ago because there was such a problem with people opening them.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The City of Toledo, OH started putting in the tamper-proof hydrants a few years ago because there was such a problem with people opening them.......
    I'm willing to bet that if the people there are as smart as the ones here...they've already figured out how to circumvent any so called "tamper-proof" hydrants.

I won't expand on what they use...but I'll just say all the materials are readilly accessible in the hood.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

magnetic top hydrants seem to work fine out here.

Forum Member

They have a hell of a time getting water from hydrants here...they're all draft hydrants....
    I can't believe (well, yes I can) that people actually started attacking this brother for doing his job....ok, dumb question...but since I live in an area with all draft hydrants...how prevalant is this problem? I'm assuming it's going on just about everywhere...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

To my knowledge we have never had that happen in town...of course the reports of this are in big cities, and my town is very small. We get a little tampering with hydrants, but not too much. We've found pop cans and junk stuffed in one before, but nothing major. Biggest problem we have is in the winter...we put metal hydrant flags on to find them in the snow and we have several bent beyond repair every year, because apparently they make great snowball launchers if bent back and let go.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFFRED

I'm willing to bet that if the people there are as smart as the ones here...they've already figured out how to circumvent any so called "tamper-proof" hydrants.

I won't expand on what they use...but I'll just say all the materials are readilly accessible in the hood.

FTM-PTB
    I'm sure they probably have........ These hydrants have a ring that goes around the top so you need a wrench with a socket-type fittingin order toopen it........ I know they still have some problems, but not nearly as many as in the past........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, maybe I'm looking at this from a backwards Canadian point of view, but if these folks (I'm guessing more likely kids) are consistently defeating your systems to find relief from the heat, how about fabricating up a couple of low flow sprinkler heads to stick on a hydrant or two. Sacrifice a couple of hydrants to protect the rest.

Even better, spend a few bucks on a free community sprinkler park.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

magnetic top hydrants seem to work fine out here.
    Give it time...there is a discarded consumer electronic product seen all over the hood that makes it quite easy along with a stillson wrench to open those types.

Although most people in the areas where this is prevelant have poor educations and few marketable skills for the private sector they always can figure out methods of circumventing any designed safety or anti-tamper device...much like most firemen I know

Okay, maybe I'm looking at this from a backwards Canadian point of view, but if these folks (I'm guessing more likely kids) are consistently defeating your systems to find relief from the heat, how about fabricating up a couple of low flow sprinkler heads to stick on a hydrant or two. Sacrifice a couple of hydrants to protect the rest.
    We've done that here. But in many cases the local firehouse doesn't have any spray caps left...or the person who picked it up gave fake ID and now has a spray cap all to himself....also many are apparently too lazy to do this. Where used they do save tons of water.

Also as you mentioned I've seen many new parks here with little areas where water intermittantly sprays out in a fountain for the kids. Pretty good idea...especially since today it is going to be over 90 in the city.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 06-10-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Forum Member

In another forum I got shot down because I said that I learned to flush a hydrant before you hook up because of debris, etc. And I do not live in a high crime town by any means. I was told that evn though you might have an intake screen, a pop can will shoot right through it when the pump is taking in water. I guess people do things differntly everywhere.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, like nationwide healthcare too? LOL I'm sorry.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

This problem happens down here too, but the motivation is usually vandalism rather than an effort to escape the heat. They'll go to a remote area and open several hydrants in a row and can literally drain the water system.

We've got one area that 'lost' their hydrant because it was continually opened. It is still in the ground but has been cut off at the main.

Forum Member

In another forum I got shot down because I said that I learned to flush a hydrant before you hook up because of debris, etc. And I do not live in a high crime town by any means. I was told that evn though you might have an intake screen, a pop can will shoot right through it when the pump is taking in water. I guess people do things differntly everywhere.
    Why would you get shot down for that? All the departments around here do it, including mine.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983

Why would you get shot down for that? All the departments around here do it, including mine.
    The others said that it wastes vital time of getting water on the fire and debris won't damage the pump, etc. They said why open it x amount of times when you need to open it x+15 times to fully open it wheen hooked up, might as well hook it up right there I guess.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

is this thing getting hijacked ? ......as crappy as some of our water ssytem is I would like to hope to get the hydrant flushed befor hooking it up. It rarely happens, when ISO was here last we watched a HUGE chunk of concrete come hurling out of the plug, whilest testing it, had it made it to the pump it would have been very BAD !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    is this thing getting hijacked ? ......as crappy as some of our water ssytem is I would like to hope to get the hydrant flushed befor hooking it up. It rarely happens, when ISO was here last we watched a HUGE chunk of concrete come hurling out of the plug, whilest testing it, had it made it to the pump it would have been very BAD !
    I am sure that you(Weruj1), the chief or anyone else on the dept. would not appreciate it if we (the explorers) didn't flush a plug before hooking up to 794 and something bad happened.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFFRED
    Give it time...there is a discarded consumer electronic product seen all over the hood that makes it quite easy along with a stillson wrench to open those types.
    Well, I think I've got a pretty good idea what you're talking about as far as the "discarded consumer electronic product," but I still can't get past the magnetic top hydrants. Never heard of or seen this before...anyone have a pic?
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Around here Providence has the "hood proof" hydrants, but like Fred stated, they have found a way around it. Talked to a friend of mine on PFD, said it has been sporadic but it is still early. The kids get out of school this week so it might become more prevalent.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information