Forum Member

Angry Beware Nordic Track Treadmills

FYI: We recently purchased a Nordic Track treadmill this past January for the fire station personnel use to promote fitness in the fire service. We called for warranty service today after one of our personnel was using the treadmill and it suffered a malfunction. After calling Nordic Track, they informed us that since the treadmill is not in a private residence, the warranty is void, regardless of how new the treadmill is, cost of the treadmill or under what conditions it received damage. The department also purchased the extended warranty plan at an additional cost. Nordic Track refuses to correct the problem or send a technician to the department for service, the phone operator even stated the do not wish to sell products to entities such as fire departments because of the abuse the product will take. Nordic Track will not adhere to warranty nor fix the unit. FYI to all firefighters who plan on purchasing/using Nordic Track products in the future, if you have them in the station, beware, Nordic Track will hang you out to dry regardless of what the warranty states. Suggestions or comments?? Let Nordic Track know how firefighters engaged in fittness feel about this. 1-877-993-7999

Thumbs down

That is crazy. So they sell you the extended warranty and still don't cover the machine? I for one will never buy a Nordic Track product for personnel or firehouse use. I will spread the word among the firehouses/firefighters in our area. With firefighter deaths on the rise, you would think a company that supposedly specializes in fitness, would not only back a product that they sold you, but jump at the chance repair the unit and help promote the physical fitness needs of the firefighter. I can GUARANTEE you that this firefighter will not buy any Nordic Track product for personnel or fire dept. use.

Thumbs down

Unbelievable: These people should have there heads examined. If they are thought to be one of the leaders in fitness equipment then why would they not promote for more fire dept's. to buy there equipment. I for one will never buy anything from Nordic Track for home or fire co. use. I'm sure other fire dept's have this equipment and may be sorry also. Anyone reading this should boycott Nordic Track and spread the word.

Forum Member

Wow! 3 new posters, all on one thread, bashing 1 product with their first posts! A new record.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

That's ashame. Well i will definately be telling my fellow firefighters and their stations never to purchase something from Nordic Track. Word of mouth is a killer, and travels fast....

Thumbs down

I used the treadmill at our station, and I'm quite upset about the fact that Nordic is unwilling to fix it. That definately does not promote health and fitness. Everybody read your warranties!!! Fire departments everywhere, beware of Nordic Track.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Wow! 3 new posters, all on one thread, bashing 1 product with their first posts! A new record.
    That record didn't last long. It's at 5 and counting; we're on a roll, Bones!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Originally posted by Steamer
    That record didn't last long. It's at 5 and counting; we're on a roll, Bones!
    Wow!!! This has to be a new record on here!!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Wait, was that me?

or was it me?

or was it me?

or was it me?

(you can't make this stuff up)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default Nordic Track

Thats BS...why'd they sell a warranty if they weren't planning on backing it up?????

Fire Chaplain

Default Re: Nordic Track

Originally posted by emn879
    Thats BS...why'd they sell a warranty if they weren't planning on backing it up?????
    The bigger pile of BS is the fact that you keep creating new screen names and posting to your own thread.

Will someone please pass the Milkbones over to our schizophrenic friend?
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Reply to IACOJRev

IACOJRev, all the posts under 219 Chief are members of my fire department who, probably unlike yourself, are into physical fitness activities such as running, working out with weights and keeping fit due to the physical nature of the job. Get your head out of the sand and realize that heart disease is the number one killer of firefighters across the nation, do me and everyone else who's into fitness a favor, go bust someone elses chops on a different thread, maybe one dealing with overzealous now-it-alls......

Fire Chaplain

You are right, 219Chief, heart disease is a major killer in the fire service. In fact, I am participating in a lifestyle management and cardiovascular risk reduction program where I am focusing on both diet and exercise.

In the past few months I have been able to raise my HDL, and lower both my LDL and Triglyceride levels as well as lose weight through making smarter choices about the foods I eat and participation in physical activity and strength training.

I am happy to say that my head is not in the sand...

Now back to this thread: Your orignal post is wonderful. It contains excellent information that could help many of us from getting burned by Nordic Track. The customer service that you are (or should I say "are not") getting from Nordic Track is pittiful. It just seems rather suspicious, - keeping FH forum posting trends in mind - that so many people would be compelled to put their very first post ever in this thread, one right after the other.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I am not going to attempt to smack noses here, only point out a small but important something.

First to say "thanks" to 219Chief for the original post on Nordic Trak and their apparent lack of customer service. I echo the query regarding the extended warranty. How nice of them to offer something they (likely) knew they would not honour. I personally am not into using artificial means to maintain my fitness levels - and have had injury events due to treadmills, so staunchly avoid commercial gyms of all sorts. (Long story regarding a very pretty young female officer on the next treadmill over, many years ago). In any case the basic info provided by 219Chief is still welcome.

Now on to the somewhat less "Happiness" part:

As Da Rev and a few others noted, is that there were several posts by "new" screen ID's. At first glance, this looks a bit suspicious (we have had a few run-ins with persons here building several profiles to make their case) and as such makes us "older folk" give close scrutiny.

It is recognized that you guys (in this instance) seemed to have gotten the short end, and are upset by that. While of us here do use the forums as a place to vent, it did seem odd that several new screen ID's stepped in on the same thread with very similar comments. As I noted above, we have had some problems recently that make us wary of such things.

Regarding knocking on another persons "door" without knowing their background.... just a word from the Peanut Gallery..... take care 'n tread softly.... There is no intent here to smack noses, just to point out a few ettiquette facts.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Default Re: Reply to IACOJRev

Originally posted by 219Chief
    IACOJRev, all the posts under 219 Chief are members of my fire department who, probably unlike yourself, are into physical fitness activities such as running, working out with weights and keeping fit due to the physical nature of the job. Get your head out of the sand and realize that heart disease is the number one killer of firefighters across the nation, do me and everyone else who's into fitness a favor, go bust someone elses chops on a different thread, maybe one dealing with overzealous now-it-alls......
    Etiquette be damned. Get off your horse. You made your point about a vendor that didn't stand up to their apparent side of the bargain with your first post. The other posters who by your own admission are from your department, came up to try to stir the pot so to speak, and create a mob against this particular vendor.

Just for snorts and giggles, let's review some of the quotes from what were at the time of this writing, first time posters:
    That is crazy. So they sell you the extended warranty and still don't cover the machine? I for one will never buy a Nordic Track product for personnel or firehouse use. I will spread the word among the firehouses/firefighters in our area. With firefighter deaths on the rise, you would think a company that supposedly specializes in fitness, would not only back a product that they sold you, but jump at the chance repair the unit and help promote the physical fitness needs of the firefighter. I can GUARANTEE you that this firefighter will not buy any Nordic Track product for personnel or fire dept. use.
    Unbelievable: These people should have there heads examined. If they are thought to be one of the leaders in fitness equipment then why would they not promote for more fire dept's. to buy there equipment. I for one will never buy anything from Nordic Track for home or fire co. use. I'm sure other fire dept's have this equipment and may be sorry also. Anyone reading this should boycott Nordic Track and spread the word.
    That's ashame. Well i will definately be telling my fellow firefighters and their stations never to purchase something from Nordic Track. Word of mouth is a killer, and travels fast....
    I used the treadmill at our station, and I'm quite upset about the fact that Nordic is unwilling to fix it. That definately does not promote health and fitness. Everybody read your warranties!!! Fire departments everywhere, beware of Nordic Track.
    Why the attempt (with the possible exception of the last person quoted) to make it appear that none of them were aware of the problem and from different departments? They knew what was going on, and my guess is so they could refer the thread to Nordic Track so they could "see how many firefighters are ****ed" about you guys getting hosed.

This may be just a forum, but you guys were essentially less than honest about how you presented your situation to people here that would have most likely been your allies. It was obvious, and the fact that it was an intentional effort to mislead people makes you just as suspect in practice as the folks at Nordic Track have been.
    Last edited by Steamer; 06-10-2005 at 12:44 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default Knocking heads

To all concerned: It was never my nor any of our departments members to knock anyone regarding our previous posts. The majority of our members work out on a consistent basis and one of the machines that was utilized for this purpose no longer functions. Without going into a long drawn-out dissertation regarding this rather unpleasant of circumstances, the treadmill cost $1400 (purchased Jan. 05) along with an additional $300 for the extended 3 year warranty. From this info, you may begin to guess why all the posts and negative comments from my menů.

Fire Chaplain

Contact a local TV station. See if they'll do a consumer alert story on your troubles. It may nudge Nordic Track in the right direction, or get the attention of a knowledgeable repair person in your community who will fix it for you.

you would think that a company would care if they are putting out garbage equipment, especially to those who would risk their lives if their building is on fire. I was the one actully running on the treadmill while it broke. my foot went right through the side of the machine, when it malfuctioned. i was under the impression that running was a good thing, nordic track seems to agree aslong as your not a firefighter in a firehouse trying to better your physical fittness. the question i have for them is what about gyms, health centers, and schools? im sure they use treadmills a little bit more than we use our treadmill at the station, and i would bet that they wouldn't have a problem fixing those treadmills.

Forum Member

by the way, we are very happy with our Nordic Track.

Forum Member

Of the treadmills I've used in the past and worked out on in the gyms, I have found by far the "Life Fitness" brand.. they seem to be among the most durable and the machines are more easily fixed "on site" than some other brands.. the Life Fitness 9100HRT Treadmill seems to be the one I most often see but there are newer and more tecnical models out now too with longer decks etc... here is the one I was referring to

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/lif...treadmill.html

I like the wide long flexible deck and they have a wireless interface with my
    polar f-6 heart rate monitor so I don't always have to grab the handles to read my heart rate...

They are a tad more expensive than some brands but when I worked at a health club I saw them take one hell of a pounding and require little maintainence, I believe it would make a good investment for the firehall or even at home and even on the used market, these things are everywhere.
    Last edited by zokambaa; 09-13-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information