MembersZone Subscriber

Default Early 90's Pierce Lance

We just had one of these arrive in our hall. 1992 Pierce Lance.

Are there any gotcha's we should watch for?

I spoke with the Mechanic at the department it came from, and all indications are that it has been a trouble free vehicle. Said there was a warranty claim early in its history for a cracked body mount... Fixed at the factory.

Truck is going to be a Rescue first and pumper second.

Thanks.

Forum Member

The only problems weve had with our 93 Lance is with the computer. Its very sensative (dont try to add anything electrical). And if yours is in the same place as ours (under the dash on the officers side) its very easy to get it wet. That is a bad thing!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Talking

Our last Lance was a 90. They were the best rigs around by my book. Any maintenance we had to do was straight up and no biggy. We did upgrade our alternators to handle all the garbage we install. Quirky little things like the cab seal and tilt system. Ours had the 8V92 with the computer on the top front of the engine area which gave us fits now and again so we kept a spare. All in all that should be an all Pierce built unit and there are those of us that wish we still had them compared to the new electronic everything rigs. You should get greta service for the buck from the unit if maitained properly. Keep it safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to both of you.

I'll take a look for that computer module today, and make everyone aware of its sensitivy to water and electrical spikes.

We are expecting to have this truck around for 10 years.

Forum Member

I'm in a Lance as well, its a 92 and so far no problems. Of course, I hope this doesn't start a fight with others, ITS A PIERCE! I know that every manufacture has had problems but it seems to me you've got yourself a top notch rig there! Enjoy!

Forum Member

I have a 93 Lance with a 6v92. I am the mechanic and I am pretty familiar with it. Not much goes wrong with it though other than the engine has been a money pit the last couple years but mostly a fluke in my estimation. Like the usual Pierce solidly constructed and just keeps working

Feel free to call me at 530-432-2630 x25 any time if you need help too

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber

My company runs a 1990 engine (demo unit bought in a pinch to replace a wrecked engine), along with 2 identical 1991 rescue-pumpers. All three have Lance chasis. The engine has an 8v92 and the rescues have a 6v92.

Drivetrain-wise, they have held their own considering the use and abuse we've put them through within our local. Some motor breakdowns, not too sure of details. I do know of one specific and chronic issue with this generation of Pierces. It is the cab doors not opening as a result of the internal workings basically disintegrating due to corrosion. They had a system of cables, soft-metal clips, and some type of plastic rollers. In all, I think every one of these rigs' doors have been ripped apart and repaired due to this.

Otherwise, each rig has been used in many 'working incidents' and have performed to the expectation of the planning group which spec'd them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 6V92 Vs. 8V92

I'll have to have a closer look to find an engine part number. Will it be printed on the valve covers?

I had a quick peak when we first evaluated the truck, and noted its got 350 hp marked there, and the engine is a silver colored 90 series.

It leaks a small amount of oil. A few people I've spoken with indicated that the Detroit's are famous for this.

This Lance is paired with a waterous 5000 LPM (1500 GPM?) single stange pump. Way more than we'll ever use. The entire pump body and impeller is bronze as the city from which it came had access to ocean water.

We replaced all the storz fittings with 65mm ones, and halved the hose bed so we could fit a drop tank on board (we are mostly rural).

The truck is governed at 110km/h (about 65M/h). Any idea's what is involved in getting another 10% in the top end? Is it a chip thing, or a mechanical adjustment?

Thanks again for the feedback.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check in the cab, behind the driver's seat. There should be a placard with the truck's spec's, similar to what is found in the door hinges of autos. The GVWR, tire, and other spec's are typically listed. You may also find the truck's "shop" number.

Also, try contacing the dept. that previoulsy owned the truck and ask (if they haven't already done so) to forward to you the Manufacturer's maintenence books and operating manuals with all the prints and parts spec's. They will have the "shop" number on it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by rualfire
    Thanks to both of you.

I'll take a look for that computer module today, and make everyone aware of its sensitivy to water and electrical spikes.

We are expecting to have this truck around for 10 years.
    I dont recall any spikes, but we have gotten it wet a few times (damn tropical storms ). The only thing you really cant do with it is add anything electrical to the computer. We added a arrowstick on the rear years ago and had to wire it direct to the battery system. If you add anything into the computer system, you have to get a different computer board from Pierce and thats big $$$.

You also have to watch if you change out any warning lights. We changed the rear rotators and Pierce said to make sure the new lights draw the same load or less then the originals. If they draw more, the computer will read a fault.

Ours has been a good rig. Its got almost 90K miles on it now. It drips a little oil and smokes a bit on start up and when you really give it the gas, but we can live with that.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983

I dont recall any spikes, but we have gotten it wet a few times (damn tropical storms ).

yeah, but what about blizzards? Have you had many blizzards? Will the heater keep the window's clear and firefighters warm?

I can hardly contain myself. We are getting ready to swap over our rescue gear to this truck on the weekend. I can't wait to stand on the Q button first run out!!! :

We can finally retire our old rescue.

P.S Dave1983... I'm still broken up about my Flames loosing the cup to your suntanned lighting last year. All those nights spent on the red mile wasted. (ok not completely)

Forum Member

Originally posted by rualfire

yeah, but what about blizzards? Have you had many blizzards? Will the heater keep the window's clear and firefighters warm?

I can hardly contain myself. We are getting ready to swap over our rescue gear to this truck on the weekend. I can't wait to stand on the Q button first run out!!! :

We can finally retire our old rescue.

P.S Dave1983... I'm still broken up about my Flames loosing the cup to your suntanned lighting last year. All those nights spent on the red mile wasted. (ok not completely)
    No, not too many blizzards here in Fla. It has snowed twice since Ive been here (77).

That was a great series. I was looking forward to a rematch. Oh well, maybe in 06'.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Default Donuts in a Blizzard

You guys are cracking me up..........blizzards!

How bout mud slides, avalanche and blizzards at the same time plus skiier tourist traffic........its the worse!

8v92....only thing to have up here in the Rocky Mtns.....that puppy will spin a engine on snow and ice making wonderful donuts for hours. NOTE TO MY CHIEF.....Sir..uuhh..I'm just kidding....Ha!

6v92 Seriously at this altitude has some serious power problems. I was responding emergent up a hill once and had a moped pass me and wave........true story!

Forum Member

Default Oil leak normal.

PS Ruralfire......that leak I believe your talking about is the breather box tubes......I too was told its suppose to do it, atleast thats what my wrench told me.
    Does it leave two spots side by side on the bay floor approximately 3 ft apart? You'll see the two tubes comming down from both sides of the block..... Wrech's am I correct?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Donuts in a Blizzard

Originally posted by Scottsfire
    I was responding emergent up a hill once and had a moped pass me and wave........true story!
    We are on the praries.. We've got one coulee that we have to climb in and out of on Hiway 1. Not a very significant hill by any standard. Previous tanker we had (1600 Imp gallons on Chev top kick chassis 1984 I think) actually got passed by a guy on a 10 speed. Lights and siren... no kidding.

Yes, the oil marks are consistant with what you are describing.

Thread Information