MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tell Me About Your Traditions

I am compiling info on traditions across the US that are unique to your fire depts. These traditions can be anything, from riding position nicknames, to who cooks and why, to officer responsibilities in the kitchen, to any other quirky tradition that you may think only happen in your fire dept. For example, I have heard that in one dept every firehouse eats spaghetti on the same night. That is the stuff I am looking for. If you could also include the history behind this tradition, if you know it, that would be great. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at b2w@comcast.net. Thank you in advance for any help.

Eric Guida
    Sacramento Fire Dept.

Forum Member

We have a tradition that when you give an officer crossed buggles their brain turns to mush. Does that count?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Dont just send your emails, post them here too
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, I'll start. I know this is a common one. Every big "first" a rookie gets (first structure fire, etc) he buys ice cream for the crew.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983
    We have a tradition that when you give an officer crossed buggles their brain turns to mush. Does that count?
    LMAO!!! That's pretty universal.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

Same with the rookies here, first fire requiring tanker use they get "dunked." And anybody who's been "dunked" knows what I'm talking about.

Permanently Removed

Talking One...

One of ours is rolling dice for dinner jobs. (set table, wash,
    dry, stove/BBQ, plates) You roll for the best poker hand.
    (5/4/3 of a kind, full boat, etc...)

If you win the round, you get to write your name on the board
    next to job you pick. Get a "Yatzee" (5 of a kind), then you
    get to bump anyone you want.

I love it and look forward to rollin' every evening.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-11-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Forum Member

The overtime guy buys the ice cream

MembersZone Subscriber

My department issues one set of bed linens, a towel, washcloth, etc. to all probationary firefighters. Rather than settling for plain, institutional white, choice of fabric patterns is left to the discretion of the purchaser - usually a senior firefighter or junior officer with a sense of humor.

Despite the moans and groans, it is rare that anyone rejects their issued linens for something less, uh, conspicuous. (I still have my pink-and-blue )
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

former FH.com member

Down here 12 hour OT shifts are called "rat patrols". The "rat" should never show up empty handed. Donuts or cake is the norm.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    Down here 12 hour OT shifts are called "rat patrols". The "rat" should never show up empty handed. Donuts or cake is the norm.
    Hey, I like that one. Maybe time to start a new tradition
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Here if you are driving and hit a curb (unless you call it in advance) you have to buy Blue Bell Ice Cream. Those in Texas know about Blue Bell. We call it curb cream.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Media

Long standing tradition: If your picture winds up in the newspaper ot tv. you buy the drinks, at the next off duty gathering.This even includes when only shown from the back.Way to go LT. Black

Forum Member

The first time you get written up you have to buy the officers dinner (which is usually Outback Steaks). I've been on for a year and still haven't bought them steak, but I know they are just looking for the right time when they are hungry to hit me up .
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

We traditionaly have been ***** on by the MUTTS
    in city hall

Forum Member

One of my former departments issued an award every month. Like the reverse of the "firefighter of the month", it was called the "H.A. Award" (horse's behind). There is actually a trophy that is passed around, with the rear half of a horse on the pedestal.

Some actual events warranting this award:

* Saying something stupid on the radio, or accidentally leaving your mic open.
    * Breaking a window (truck or station)
    * Ripping a compartment door off the rig while pulling out
    * Injuring yourself off the job while doing something stupid
    * Retiring
    * Chasing criminal suspects on foot in full turnout gear while panting over the portable radio
    * Tripping over a hoseline while lots of onlookers observe
    * Get your picture in the paper
    * Forgetting something at the grocery store
    * Being a rookie (newest guy wins by default if no other nominations come up for the month)

Serious safety issues were never minimized through this, obviously major issues were dealt with and not tainted with the H.A. Award, but if you did something dumb yet relatively harmless it was actually kind of a relief to get this award (I speak from experience) because then your dirty laundry was aired and you didn't have a black cloud continuing to hang over you.

Actually, I was one of the "lucky" few who received a permanent H.A. Award trophy when I moved away from there, and I still display it proudly with my other firefighting stuff in my rec room.

Ya know there's a little love when you get harassed.... and there ain't no love at all if you get ignored completely.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

MembersZone Subscriber

Rookies on our dept must go thru "sprinkler wedge training" within their first month of being on the dept. WE have an old shower stall rigged up with a sprinkler head sitting in our hose tower. WE instruct them how to insert the wedge without the water on. We then let them show us with the water on - unbelievable amount of cold water.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983
    Weren't the buggles the first group ever on MTV, with the song/video VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR?

Forum Member

Originally posted by pfd3501

Weren't the buggles the first group ever on MTV, with the song/video VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR?
    You are correct sir!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

At our anual firefighter's banquet we award one individual the ball and chain award. It is given to a member who over the last year has either gotten engaged, married, or seriously involved. It also has the names of every individual who has won it over the last 15 years.

Forum Member

We have an old Fire Hydrant that is now given to the Firefighter of the Year and he must display it somewhere in his home. Must be inside the house and someplace where a guest can see it if they come over (i.e. not in a closet, etc).........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

This is a quote from a good friend of mine... who happens to be my Captain...
    "Tradition is a word that has a mixed meaning. It can be a good or bad thing. It is used by some to portray the fire service as an organization reluctant to change and it is used by others to define our character and bravery.
    Of course the fire service must change and adapt to meet the needs of the public and adapt to new technologies, but we must be careful that we never allow anyone to change the traditions that define our dedication to duty and pride in what we do. I have often said that the strength of the FDNY is defined by tradition, particularly at the company level. Never was that more apparent than on 9/11/01.
    But in the three and a half years since 9/11/01, very isolated but embarrassing events have given our detractors the opportunity to take a few cheap shots at us. For those of us who understand tradition it is incredibly important to pass it along to those that follow us, but be ready to correct any behavior that would embarrass us in any way. The old adage of do the right thing is so important, but it is up to all of us to know what the right thing is!"
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

our probies buy pizza for everyone.....we also elect the dumbest SOB as chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank You

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming.

Thread Information