Default Funerals for retired members and/or family

Does anyone have any guidlines for funerals for family members or retired personnel? I have been put in charge of making guidlines and would like to know if you have any ideas. If so my email is rescue911@msn.com
    Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

we dont have any guidelines per se........we always ask the family their wishes. We have not had an active memeber death nor a LODD. Most of the time the family is pretty receptive, we have had only one that did not want any FF service. I ahve been to many other departments for NLODD death, and it is mostly what the family wants.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I agree with him. Regardless of any fire department protocols, you must always and without question respect the wishes of the individual and their family.

My pet peeve is the inappropriate application of certain practices and traditions at non-LODD funerals that should be reserved for LODDs.

Thus, I created a matrix of recommended fire service funeral practices for anyone's use. This chart can be customized to your fire department but it's important to be consistent regardless of which practices you assign to which situation.

This chart is part of a comprehensive fire service funeral management guidebook that we have created and implemented as part of our resource coordination and management package for our fire service. Most of the resources were compiled from the NFFF and also the TRADE network.

You can download the matrix from our web site: www.erie.gov/fire. Look under the Fire Service Guidelines section of the Forms, Guides & Resources page.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you think.
    Stay safe. Train often.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    MembersZone Contributing Editor

Deputy Fire Coordinator
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety
    Department of Emergency Services
    716/681-7111 - FAX/681-3645
    www.erie.gov/fire
    schmitte@erie.gov

Chief of Training/PIO
    Evans Center Fire Company
    Town of Evans NY
    www.ecvfc.org
    tiger5@firehousezone.com

Forum Member

You got me thinking about this topic and I revisited a tremendous resource for LODD and non-LODDs - the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation.

Click on their resource page: http://www.firehero.org/index1.aspx?BD=7658 and download the chaplain's guide from firehero.org or the funeral procedure guide from the NVFC and I bet you'll have everything you're looking for.

I probably could have saved myself a lot of homework if I had really read these resources before I compiled my list.

Let me know what you come up with.
    Last edited by Tiger5; 07-02-2005 at 08:14 PM.
    Stay safe. Train often.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    MembersZone Contributing Editor

Deputy Fire Coordinator
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety
    Department of Emergency Services
    716/681-7111 - FAX/681-3645
    www.erie.gov/fire
    schmitte@erie.gov

Chief of Training/PIO
    Evans Center Fire Company
    Town of Evans NY
    www.ecvfc.org
    tiger5@firehousezone.com

Forum Member

As already stated we honor the family wishes. When a member either active or retired passes away we inquire to the family if they want the Fire Department Honor Guard, Transportation via the engine to the cemetery, etc... Most of the time it is accepted. Firefighters famliy members with in our company are entitled to the Honor Guard at the very least and we usually any assistiance we offer. - We consider our-selves one Big Family {Even if we argue most of the time...lol lol}

Thread Information