Forum Member

Default oh no ...........dont do this ! (not run with the scissors)

Firefighters ordered to put away scissors

Haircutting ritual nixed after reaction to letter to editor

By Mike McWilliams
    Iowa City Press-Citizen

Abuzz about haircuts

The Iowa City fire chief has halted the practice of firefighters cutting each others' hair at the downtown station. Here's how it went down:

It all started with this article and photo gallery that the Press-Citizen published as part of our Rituals series.

Then came this letter to the editor from John Hogan of Iowa City, complaining that the practice was unhealthy, kept firefighters from their duties, and hurt the business of local barbers.

Several other letters followed, all in support of the firefighters cutting their own hair.

A makeshift barbershop of sorts started two to three years ago by firefighters at Iowa City's downtown fire station is no more.

In the May 2 edition of the Press-Citizen, firefighters were photographed having their hair cut in the weekly "Rituals" feature. The feature showcased "Buckman's Barbershop," a makeshift barbershop in the hose shop at Iowa City Fire Station 1, 410 E. Washington St.

The barbershop was started by firefighter Chris Buckman, who would sometimes cut fellow firefighter's hair during the crew's down time and when the day's work was done. Buckman quit cutting hair after moving to another shift but firefighters continued the practice.

The feature triggered a May 17 letter to the editor criticizing city manager Steve Atkins and fire chief Andy Rocca for condoning "barbering on duty." The letter also stated that the firefighters were "taking away a livelihood from professionals who are trying to make a living."

The Press-Citizen also received letters of support for the barbershop.

Iowa City Fire Capt. Larry Kahler, who was one of the firefighters photographed in the May 2 article, said Thursday that the makeshift barbershop practice has been ordered stopped.

He deferred further comment to Rocca, who declined to say what action he took or whether any firefighters were reprimanded because of the barbershop.

"I handled it internally as a personnel matter," Rocca said. "It's a closed matter for the department and there's nothing for me to add to it at this point."

Atkins said he was aware of the fire station barbershop and the letters to the editor that followed, but he said he did not know what action Rocca took.

"I told him, 'You do whatever you think is best' and that was the end of the conversation," Atkins said.

Reach Mike McWilliams at 339-7360 or mmcwilliams@press-citizen.com.

I personally dont get this .........whats everyone else's opinion ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Like these guys are not going to go home and get their haircuts from their wives? My wife found out I used to pay $6 a week for my High & Tight and bought me a pair of clippers at Wal-Mart (Made in the USA of course) for $20 and it lasted 6 years. I guess I put barbers out of work.

I suppose that this guy would get ****ed at my former roomate for giving us "Barracks cuts" back in The Corps. You know, not keeping the barbers employed and all.

I don't know of too many barber shops still around though (sadly.) Many have been replaced by "salons" and "stylists." Sorry, a man goes to a barber to get a haircut, men should not go to a stylist. Just my views.

Besides, if I go to a stylist they will look at me funny when I order a "High & Tight." Then they'll ask me what a "High & Tight" is?

This guy needs to get a life. I understand an issue on public time, but it is not a big deal. I guess guys shouldn't read newspapers on the internet either, or else they'll put pressmen out of work.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Imagine that. 1 person complains, a bunch show support, but the mutts listen to the complainer. Typical.

I swear, some people just arnt happy unless they have something to bitch about. Its people like this that complain when we wash our cars, go to the store, park in the fire lane (in a BRT).

I just wish that some Chief someplace would "grow a pair" and ignor these idiots. Maybe others would follow and we could put an end to it.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I don't really see a problem as many times I get my hair cut out on my back porch from my Dad and sometimes go to a barber. His business in not hurting at all either. It takes forever to get an appointment or even if it is walkin about an hour or so. It is a true barber too, not a salon. I often get high and tight also and a barber knows what you are talking about.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Permanently Removed

Default Wow...

Isnt kinda funny that your own body is your own body.
    If I want someone to cut my hair, then they should be
    able to do it with my permission.

Damn, it could be done off-duty as well. Pretty lame
    and extreme.

-Bou

Forum Member

1. You go to a salon/stylist, and not only do they look at you funny when you ask for a high and tight, but they also charge you an arm and a leg for it.

2. One of the guys at my station cuts a lot our our hair. Quite frankly, I've never been dissatisfied with his work, while on the other hand whenever I go to a salon/stylist (no barbers here anymore unfortunatley), there's always something about the cut that I don't like. He puts the time and effort into it, probably because he knows you'll beat him with a halligan if he screws it up, lol....but if someone ever complained about that, I'd tell them to shove it up their whiney ***** because not only does it NOT take away from our duties, but it also helps to maintain the whole comradery that fire companies need to survive both on and off scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

WTF!!! Next they are going to get ****ed when they find out how well we eat at the station (we got some great cooks!). Putting all those restaurants out of business. Then the car washes will join in. A buddy at the station installed my new CD player, too. Dang it, we are ruining the economy singlehandedly.

Fu*&ing mutts!!!!
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Forum Member

I see it coming. Next letter to the editor will be, why is there a fire truck at the barbershop. Im sure that a few guys getting their hair cut is not going to run a barbershop out of business. And if it did would you really want to get your hair cut there. What is the big deal. I say we follow these people to work and find something to bust their balls over. What BS
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Besides, if I go to a stylist they will look at me funny when I order a "High & Tight." Then they'll ask me what a "High & Tight" is?

What on earth is a "high and tight?" I'm assuming it's a crewcut or a buzz.

Forum Member

flat top is the most correct definition IIRC. However in general it means a "really short" haircut, i.e.-like you already mentioned.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

No more haircuts for you, 2 weeks. HA

Forum Member

Originally posted by kentbwj What on earth is a "high and tight?" I'm assuming it's a crewcut or a buzz.
    A High & Tight is a standard issue Marine Corps hair cut. Faded on the sides and back, never to touch the ear or the collar of a shirt or utility blouse. A really good barber will cut you close on the neck and around the ears with a straightedge and strop.

high and tight - a standard cut in the United States Marine Corps, a high and tight comprises cut to a stubble at the back and sides (using clippers with no guard comb attached) and short (around 1/4 inch) all over on top. Alternatively, the top may be cut into a short flattop. The back and sides may also be clean shaved using lather and a razor.

In modern times, the hair may be up to 3 inches in length on top - and if it is close, they will break out a ruler and you best better hope that it is not over 3 inches on the dot. The length on the sides must still be faded from 0 to 3. No "bowl cuts" allowed - thank God.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

I just get my sister to cut my hair, if i was in a full time department i would probably get one of the guys to do it for me. It wont be taking anything away from barbers or stylists. They charge too much for their services. Well the 'Stylists' do anyway and there are no barbers around here.

The last time i went to a barber was in Malaysia and that was because its really cheap over there and my brother knew an Indian barber that was really good. He gave me a cut, shave and a massage for 15 ringgit. Thats about $5 australian.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

We started giving haircuts has a joke...One of the guys came in with a real crappy cut from his regular barber so we decided to fix it. We got a pair of old dog trimmers shears(dull) and a sheet from the bedroom and attempted to fix the styling problem ...When we got done the guy looked 1000% better(like he had the mange)needless to say his wife took him to a real hair stylist to fix the rest of the problem. The moral of the story.... never trust a brother with a dog clipper and .. the brothers a jacks of all trades but masters of none
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Ok, I'll bite? PattyV I thought you were a lady? So if you are, then what do you need with a shave? If you are not a lady then sorry, just me being a blond ditz again. And if you are a lady, what did you have shaved????

Forum Member

Well, I shaved my head again tonight. Went for the "high and tight".

Guess I just put the local barber out of business.

Forum Member

I have to wander how much respect the men have for a chief that didn't fight for them at all. I believe that most people haven't a clue what goes into making a firefighter. As a sheriff we had training and some schooling. But even what's required today for police is nowhere near what is required for a FF. This type of thing really annoys me. I think those guys should all just shave their heads and say "Now we don't need haircuts!"

Forum Member

Im not a lady. my name is Patrick Velu and my friends call me Patty, like the Irish.

Dont worry, FlyingKiwi made the same mistake when i first joined the forums, i suppose you guys would assume that my name is Patricia or something.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Originally posted by PattyV
    Im not a lady. my name is Patrick Velu and my friends call me Patty, like the Irish.

Dont worry, FlyingKiwi made the same mistake when i first joined the forums, i suppose you guys would assume that my name is Patricia or something.

Looks like I've been thnking the wrong thing also. I've always known paTTy to be short for Patricia, and paDDy is the short form of Patrick.

Oops...

Andy

Forum Member

This is total BS...... The chief has no cajones.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by JoJobrat
    Ok, I'll bite? PattyV I thought you were a lady? So if you are, then what do you need with a shave? If you are not a lady then sorry, just me being a blond ditz again. And if you are a lady, what did you have shaved????
    So what if he was? A lady can't get a buzz cut? Haven't you ever seen "G.I. Jane"?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dmleblanc

So what if he was? A lady can't get a buzz cut? Haven't you ever seen "G.I. Jane"?

My husband is still morning the loss of my waist-length hair, and that happened 20 years ago. I wonder what would happen if I walked in with a "high and tight."

Forum Member

How's this for a high and tight?

This was done at our headquarters as part of a fundraiser. We did have professionals in to cut our hair, because there were just too many firefighters lined up, and we couldn't have half the trucks in the city out of service for haircutsII

Still, if that's all those folks have to complain about, then they just better get a life!!

Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CommDiva; 06-13-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

Hey CommDiva,
    is that Shelli shaving those locks off? If you can do it, why not,
    it is going to a good cause.

Red

Forum Member

Just one word for that pic:

S E X Y ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Thread Information