Forum Member

Default Extrication in Hybrid cars

We had a lengthy discussion on this topic at our last meeting. Currently we do not do extrication, we call for mutual aid from surrounding depts. but we are first on scene and would like to know.

What is the best practice for extrication on the new hybrid cars? Ive heard alot of horror stories about these cars.

If there is already a topic on this, let me know.
    Thanks

Forum Member

check out the emergency responce guides for each of these vehicles on the Manufactures web site. they provide detailed guidelines for dealing with hybred emergencys

Forum Member

Most emergency response guides can be found on this web site as well.

http://www.limerickfirerescue.org/training/

Scroll to the bottom of the page. There is a lot of good information here. Good luck and be safe
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the most important (and easiest) things to remember is that all high voltage wiring in these cars is bright orange.

Definitely check out the emergency response guides that the other brothers posted as well.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Thanks everyone. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Forum Member

Although all the high voltage lines are orange I have not heard of a federal standard requiring as such, any body got any more info on that. Also from what I recently learned cutting the main battery - 12volt leads it will also kill the high voltage lines via some safety setup. Also important to remember take the keys out of the car and at least 20 feet away, due to the proximity keys that are so popular now especialy with the hybreds.

Forum Member

and don't forget 'golf cart mode'

Just because it's quiet doesn't guaranty its off. Disconnect the power source to be safe

Forum Member

Not only cutting the power on the 12 volt battery supply and removing the keys. If possible remove the breaker or disconnect main power supply as well. Some of these vehicle’s can generate 550 plus volts. Just like was stated just because you do not hear it does not mean it’s not alive. I work at a ford dealer I know the Escape Hybrid when the ignition is turned on the gas motor does not start till needed. You can always look at the dash should be a gauge on most of these vehicle’s to indicate if it is using electric power or not.

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Originally posted by fireguy919
    If possible remove the breaker or disconnect main power supply
    I know at least one manufacturer (Honda I think) specificly disrecommends pulling the main breaker, as there could be major arcing which might injure the person pulling the fuse and could serve as an ignition source.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

I believe ford states that when their tech.s are working on the car to remove the breaker on hybrids they are to wear linesmen gloves. Arcing is also a concern. Do not pull or do anything with the breakers. Cut the 12volt battery leads and it should also shut down the other electric system.

Forum Member

with the Ford Escape you do not have to remove the breaker to turn it off. It comes up a little and turns. Most of what I seen in the emr guides they show you how to disconnect the power units and where the breakers are for them. I do not think I would do it unless it had to be done. I printed the guides off in put them in our mini pumper that carries our jaws if we need a quick referance.

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Your print outs are a good idea. I think Holmatro, can't realy remember but it is one of the tool makers, has a book that tells you where stuff is in just about every car. It gives you airbags locations, pre-tensioners, hy-brid stuff just about anything you should know before you cut. The only down side is you have to keep up on it at least yearly and it will get expensive.

Forum Member

For those who don't know... Holmatro now also makes the book on cd if any of you have on board laptops. We have it in the officers seat and it's much nicer to let the computer do the searching then thumbing through pages.

Yes there is an annual cost to keep current, but it minor compared to getting injured by setting off an unknown safety device.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a 2-hour PowerPoint presentation on CD that covers Hybrids and Alternative fuels vehicles that I give to any person or department free of charge. I DID NOT copywrite it, so feel free to use any or all of it you would like. Email me an address and I will forward it to you. No strings attached! There are a couple hundred photos so I can not email it. It deals with procedures at the "Scene Of The Accident" while working around these vehicles.

Forum Member

And the fun part is.. there is no standard way of determaning you have a hybrid vehicle until you open tbings up and look for things like the orange wire harnesses. Disconecting the 12-V batteries is a good idea, but the auto manufactuers are making that more difficult by moving the 12-V battery to locations other than under the hood.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    And the fun part is.. there is no standard way of determaning you have a hybrid vehicle until you open tbings up and look for things like the orange wire harnesses. Disconecting the 12-V batteries is a good idea, but the auto manufactuers are making that more difficult by moving the 12-V battery to locations other than under the hood.
    They should all be labeled Hybrid unless the owner removes the label on the back.

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Originally posted by fireguy919

They should all be labeled Hybrid unless the owner removes the label on the back.
    Or they were involved in a rear-end crash!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

Harley4227, I would like a copy of your ppp on hybrid veh. If you would please send it to hhill@vbgov.com. Thanks.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire304

Or they were involved in a rear-end crash!
    Exactly what we had with a Honda hybrid that had the back bumper tore off of it in a rear end crash. Fortunately there was no injury or extrication, but it was an interesting feeling when the rather elderly driver came up to us as the wrecker was hooking the car up to tell us that the dealer told him to alert a wrecker operator that the car was a hybrid if it were involved in a crash. We searched all over the car looking for a label and found none. I then recognized the radio antenna location as a tell-tale indicator of a hybrid. We then opened the hood and had a quick refresher on how to recognized one from under the hood. We then gathered up the bumber and found the ONLY exterior label on the car to indicate that it was a hybrid.

I think I have been in this business too long... I can't keep up any more!!!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

I then recognized the radio antenna location as a tell-tale indicator of a hybrid.
    Maybe I am missing something. As far as I know there is no difference in the type or location of the radio antenna on a gas powered or gas/electric hybrid. Is there something that slipped by me? From all the vehicles I have seen the only difference in the radio antenna's on the Honda is weather or not the car has satellite radio.

Forum Member

Originally posted by harley4227

Maybe I am missing something. As far as I know there is no difference in the type or location of the radio antenna on a gas powered or gas/electric hybrid. Is there something that slipped by me?
    Got me on that one also.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by harley4227

Maybe I am missing something. As far as I know there is no difference in the type or location of the radio antenna on a gas powered or gas/electric hybrid. Is there something that slipped by me? From all the vehicles I have seen the only difference in the radio antenna's on the Honda is weather or not the car has satellite radio.
    One of our local Honda dealers brought us a hybrid to look at. The antennas are mounted in the center of the roof on them. If you contact your local dealer they should bring one out to you to see and give some info on them. The dash has a different read out on them to. We need an extra 6 minutes to identify the vehicle and air bag systems any more before we can start cutting on them

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

harley4227 - we are eagerly awaiting your class this weekend in Hahira Ga.

Forum Member

The antennas are mounted in the center of the roof on them.
    1) I've seen that on a few other cars also that were not hybrids.
    2) On the Toyota that we went over, the antenna was in the drivers side A post.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct....the antenne on the Civic Hybrid is located in the middle of the roof in the back....BUT SO IS THE REGULAR CIVIC! There is no difference in antenna location or style on either model. I am teachig Hybrid classes all this week and have both vehicles here to compare. The Instrument Cluster has slight differences which you would not be able to identify unless you are familiar with the vehicle. A small high voltage battery indicator and a readout to show if the electric motor is generating or using power are the only differences on the dash.

If you want a quick way to identify this vehicle if the placard is missing, look in the rear window for the air intake vent. It is in the middle of the rear package tray on the Hybrid vehicle only.

Thread Information