Forum Member

Default Anyone use this company

I've been doing some premature shopping, I was wondering if any depts in here has used Dalmation Fire. I think they are based in Canada. They seem to be shooting us the best prices so far. I just want them to be ligit, and will feel better if I find someone thats used them.. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

While I haven't personally used Dalmation, they are very involved with Saving Our Own and are a very legitimate company. If I had the opportunity, I'd give them a shot.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

thanks. thats the kind of info i'm trying to find out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems to be a good company to deal with. The only problem we had was, SCBA bottles.
    We purchased some reconditioned packs along with spare bottles. The packs came from a different vendor and the bottles came from Dalmation. Being from New York and falling under OSHA guidelines, our bottle fill vendor informed us that the serial number the bottle has to have did not include enough digits to satisfy OSHA.
    Oh well, we had them and we filled them anyways. Other than that they have good products
    The Chief

Forum Member

They told me they use thier own bottles. I'll make sure I check on that. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Perfect, lets start sending our money to Canada.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Helping our Own

The organization is called Helping Our Own. They are an organization dedicated to getting equipment in the hands of needy departments, (Those with budgets less than $15,000 a year).

Yes, Dalmatian Fire is a sponsoring organization and I believe they do the refurb on donated SCBA's for HOO.

I urge you to contact HOO if:
    --Your department has a budget less than $15,000 and you have a need for PPE and or Used Trucks
    --Your department has surplus useable fire equipment. Many departments do not have ANY PPE, SCBA's, Hose or apparatus.. AND they cannot get the match to even write for an AFG grant.

http://www.helpingourown.org/

-Chief Sanford, Tensed FPD,Idaho

District Chief

zoom....what are you buying?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Cap
    We are buying SCBA, Turnouts, mobile fill station. IF we ever get an announcement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since you'll be using Federal Funds, you better check to make sure that buying used/re-conditioned air-paks is acceptable. They're low price for a reason. They're NOT NEW!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Used equipment/apparatus must meet NFPA at the time of their manufacture, not the current one even though that is the preference. They understand that just because it's not compliant with current codes does not mean that it's no good, just not what's recommended. Some can't afford to buy enough new equipment to properly outfit the department even with the grant funds because of a shortage of funds available for matching which is why it's allowed. Personally I'd rather outfit the department with 20 SCBA made in 1990 than 5 made last year if those are the choices I could afford.

But yes, the bottles have to be within hydrotest lifespans, there's no bending on that one.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC....would the Feds approve of purchasing used/reconditioned paks that don't meet the '02 NFPA standard? I totally agree with what your saying, 20 paks that are 10 years old is certainly a better option than the ability to buy only 5 brand spankin new ones. From what I've read, you seem to be very well versed on the AFG program. Is this type of purchase acceptable? Thanks for all of your insightful posts on these boards.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

From the PG:

New vehicles purchased with AFG program funds must be compliant with current NFPA 1901 or 1906 standards. Used apparatus must be compliant with NFPA 1901 or 1906 standards for the year the vehicle was manufactured. Refurbished apparatus must meet NFPA 1912 standards.

Equipment has been following the same lines as vehicles, even though there's nothing written in the guidelines. Anything new must be compliant with current, anything reconditioned must be done to be compliant with current, and used must be compliant with guidelines at the time of manufacture.

Of course with equipment the greatest cost-benefit is to have new, and some types of equipment I wouldn't recommend, such as PPE since there are only so many times you can patch and clean before the fibers really break down, but SCBA, nozzles, and some other things can have parts replaced as long as they make them. Personally, my advice is if you have the matching money to properly outfit your department with new equipment, do it. I don't believe in sacrificing safety to save a few bucks. On the other hand, if you can't afford to buy enough to properly outfit the department to a safe level, then some packs a few years old won't matter. As long as the bottles are still within their servicable life and can be hydro-tested, they are fine. That is the only thing that hasn't changed in the SCBA standard over the years. The only real big changes in the NFPA 1981-2002 edition are the HUD, buddy breather, and RIT connections. Other than that, the packs are the same.

I would still clear any purchases other than new through your grant manager, but they're not going to play hardball, it's all about getting the most benefit to the community for the dollars spent.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

The packs we would be getting from them are NFPA compliant. And they save us about $1000 . From what I understand they refurbish with new parts to meet the latest standards. They shipped us a "demo" it was fine and dandy.. Worked great, only a couple of parts looked used even. And they come with a 10 year warranty..

MembersZone Subscriber

Zoom....check your PM.
    Being a hero isn't about being tough. It's about making tough choices. It's about sacrifice.

Forum Member

The parts are manufactured in Canada and are MADE to NFPA standards but they are not tested and NFPA approved.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

NFPA doesn't approve or disapprove of any equipment, they just write the guidelines and it's up to the manufacturers to comply. Apparatus manufacturers make trucks that are NFPA compliant, but NFPA doesn't test any of them to prove it. Same with equipment, NFPA just sets the standards, they don't test the equipment. Laws prevent companies from claiming to be NFPA compliant if they aren't, it's called false advertising.

So regardless of retailer location, if they say it's NFPA compliant, then there shouldn't be a problem as long as the bottles pass the hydrotest.

This is why all should be familiar with NFPA guidelines pertaining to equipment.

And believe me, I'd rather money be spent within the US, but in a capitalistic society, and the advent of eBusiness, there are no borders anymore. Competition is stiff. The other thing to think about is service. Who is going to service the equipment when needed? I tell my truck award winners go with who can service it the best. If the low bid's closest service center is 3 states away, don't buy it. Buy the one that can get there ASAP to fix the truck. If you can buy the SCBA from Canada, save some bucks, and get them serviced locally, then do it. If they want the bottles shipped every time they need to be tested or repaired, go with someone else. Over the 10+ years you'll have these SCBA, they'll need service and testing more than once, you don't want to save pennies now to spend dollars later.
    Last edited by BC79er; 07-08-2005 at 02:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sound Advice Brian!

Thread Information