Fire damages Holly Hill home
Last update: June 12, 2005
HOLLY HILL -- What started as a normal evening for Rena Belgado and her 3- year-old son Darius Bailey, turned into a nightmare after a fire burned her out of her rented LPGA Boulevard home Saturday.
The young mother said she was preparing dinner about 5:30 p.m. when she heard her son screaming in the other room. She rushed to attend to him, leaving a saucepan that contained grease on the stove, she said. Belgado returned to a smoke-filled kitchen, quickly grabbed her son and the telephone handset and ran outside to call police, she said. No one was hurt.
"I don't have nowhere to go with my son; my families are all dead," she said.
Firefighters from Holly Hill, Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach responded. The fire caused about $20,000 in damage, said Edward Brown, Holly Hill fire investigator.
Brown said the intensity of the fire caused the kitchen cabinets and the contents to ignite. He said the local American Red Cross chapter will provide clothing, food and a place for Belgado and her son to stay.
Belgado said she doesn't have rental insurance, which typically covers the renter's possessions and liability for harm to others or their property.
"A renter needs to have rental insurance; it's inexpensive and protects from something like this," Brown advised.
The home is owned by Charles H. Strasser of Ormond Beach, according to Volusia County records. He declined comment Saturday night.
-- Ihuoma Ezeh
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Holly Hill house fire
06-12-2005, 01:07 PM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2004
Holly Hill house fire
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)