Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default SPC Fire Academy pinellas county

Has anyone gone through St. Petersburg COllege's Fire Academy recently? What is it like? I live in COlorado right now but grew up in Tampa, and have been considering moving back to FL to pursue a fire career. So SPC, good or not?

Forum Member

Have not been through but here that it is a good academy and that they have a good Fire Science Program. They are progressive and got many different projects going on.They must be doing something right if we hear about them up here in the panhandle.

Our former Chief is the diretcor for SPC's academy and several of our current members are instructors. Ive heard its a top notch program.

The new county/SPC training center is open. I will be out there Thursday. Will let you know how it is.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 06-14-2005 at 07:09 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

We did our Firefighter II burn day at SPC's new training grounds, that is one nice school. They were only a few weeks into it but the students seemed to have a pretty good grasp of everything. The Instructor's did seem a little more laid back than where I went through, but that's not to say that the Instructor's weren't good, because that they are. Nice training facility, heard a lot of good about it, I'd say it's a pretty good place to go.

Forum Member

Default Might be a little late with this but...

I went through SPCs program, and I think it is top notch. They put a lot of focus on discipline, especially in the PT program. We also did a lot of RIT and safety and survival training, which is not a part of Florida's minimum standards (sadly.) If you work hard and have a great attitude, the instructors will go to bat for you when you start applying for a job. I recommend it.

Thread Information