Permanently Removed

Default Re: And..............

Originally posted by hwoods
    Sudden Thought # 15,867,988.06. For those who like to be protected from Traffic while running the pump: Get an "Old Fashioned Rural Front Mount Pump", they are available up to 1,500 GPM by several builders. With the Front Mount, you are out of traffic while you work, AND with no climbing up and down.
    H- SHAME ON YOU! I hate those! Youre in time out!

-Bou

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Re: And..............

Originally posted by CALFFBOU

H- SHAME ON YOU! I hate those! Youre in time out!

-Bou
    You hate what?? Sudden Thoughts?? Gee........ I'da never guessed.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

H Woods- You know what I am talking about. Front mounted
    pumps! There should be a law against them! Yuck.

Ever see a Crown with a front mount....Noooooo!

Maybe an American LaCHANCE, but those suck the big one
    anyways.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Count me as another side mount fan....for all the pros and cons already listed
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Harve,Or sudden thought 15,867,988.07.Turn the nose of the sidemount toward the curb.Puts your PO toward the problem(assuming he didn't come in backwards);let's them see the problem AND avoid traffic.We run all side mts now,got rid of our last frt mount 4 yrs ago. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the complaints listed about the top mounts was a higher hose bed. That may be the case on some rigs, ours aren't too bad but are longer because of it. I like the fact that I can manage the deck gun from the panel, and we have it set up that the easiest and safest way into the hosebed to reload hose it via the pump panel. One folding step and you're up to the top of the rig, instead of many on the back of the rig.

We have a rear mount rig coming as an interface type unit, and a top-mount unit coming as well. I'd pump a side mount just as happily, though it makes sense for us to keep our three engines all top-mount for the sake of being a common factor for all of our engineers to deal with. The rear-mount will be sort of a "b*st*rd" child, but the utility that unit will give us will be fantastic.

And answer me this - there (in my opinion) seems to be some real merit in having a side mount panel on the officer's side. While I'm sure many builders would do it (they'll do anything for the right amount of money) - has anyone actually built an officer's side pump panel equipped rig recently?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm sure someone could, but what would the real point be? Right now side mounts are on the driver's side because that's who is going to use it. Putting it on oen side versus the other means that you're making the assumption that you're always going to pull up to the fire with the panel facing that direction. We all know that's not true, so I don't see it making a difference which side it's put on, at some point the pump operator will not be on the same side as the fire.

Top mount or true rear-compartment mount offer the flexibility so the MPO can be in a decent position regardless of what direction the truck arrives from. You just have to decide what kind of priority that takes over the rest of the issues, such as length, hose bed height, etc, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

We of course can assume anything, but I would be comfortable saying you have a 50-50 chance of the fire being on either side of your rig when you pull up.

However, on an MVA or car fire, especially on a divided highway, it seems to me you could position the rig better to protect both the scene and pump operator if you have an officer side panel. Maybe not.

I'm not saying its the end-all solution to the great where-to-put-the-panel debate, just a thought out loud for everyone to consider.

With the trend towards moving the discharges away from where the engineer stands, the point is actually lost anyway. You'd always want to utilize the discharges pointing towards the fire, obviously.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Here's a thought: what about putting all of the discharges at one end or the other? Probably the rear since that would mean a bunch of pipes past the engine, not a whole lotta room there.

So all discharges are mounted on the rear of the truck, save the maybe the crosslays and a bumper line or two. That ought to shrink the pump panel (whichever side it is on), and the opposite side would be a compartment for more storage space. Keeps the engineer away from the potential of a burst line, won't have to step on/over anything, or get a shower because some rookie forgot to change the gasket.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I own a 700 series LaFrance with a "wrong" side panel its a hoot. Cant stand top mounts, I get nosebleeds at high altitudes
    Last edited by CaptainS; 06-16-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by BC79er
    Here's a thought: what about putting all of the discharges at one end or the other? Probably the rear since that would mean a bunch of pipes past the engine, not a whole lotta room there.

So all discharges are mounted on the rear of the truck, save the maybe the crosslays and a bumper line or two. That ought to shrink the pump panel (whichever side it is on), and the opposite side would be a compartment for more storage space.
    Yo- Some good points. I think the city of Anaheim, CA has
    implemented some of your ideas in their recent apparatus
    purchases.

Sorry, Here is the only picture I could find-

http://www.anaheim.net/fire/livefire...s/DSC00013.jpg

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Bou - is that you counting the spikes on the fence so you're not in the way?

Forum Member

Interesting thought 79er .. though I think piping the steamer discharge back there may be a b***h.

Permanently Removed

Bou - is that you counting the spikes on the fence so you're not in the way?
    Yes- That is me. (I soooo wish) Let dont let me near the
    actually fire because.....well.....because I am Bou.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Rear inlets are already piped in from the rear on many trucks. Most body designs being the same it could run probably about waist high over the axle and then slight angle down to reduce 90 degree turns and subsequent friction loss. Could probably even run one down each side of the truck. Or throw in the front inlet with the soft sleeve and nose to the hydrant.

I can't remember whose truck but I did see one with the front inlet just straight out of the front bumper to get rid of those 2-90s for more volume too. Hmmmm. Might have to break out the CAD program.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up It's ours.................

I can't remember whose truck but I did see one with the front inlet just straight out of the front bumper to get rid of those 2-90s for more volume too. Hmmmm. Might have to break out the CAD program.

Go to www.gdvfd18.com It's our 2004 Pierce. It's not a new idea with us though, all of our pumpers since 1969 have avoided Swivels and Risers, with the pipe coming straight out through the cab. No Problems, works great. BTW, ALL bends in the pipes are a MAX of 45 degrees.......

Special Attention: BOU.... recent studies have shown that the trend to placing the discharge connections AWAY from the "Normal" Engineers position is a plot by MiniMe to get you to walk around more....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That could have been it Harve, it was a recent delivery truck I looked at somewhere in the past few months. It looks like the connection is in front of the bumper in that one hydrant shot down the page, is it?

I saw someone else's had it recessed back a little, behind the frame rails in case a wingnut hit something it wouldn't bend the pipe. There was about 12" of clearance in the section for ease of attaching the hose since it was recessed. That's the one I was thinking of. Oh well, guess I'll have to kill the day at work surfing the internet again to find it, tis a rough job but someone has to do it.

Forum Member

D.C. Has the bumper level front suctions with some good photos on the "unoffical" web site.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That would make sense, I crawled over some of their new rigs when I was at Pierce last year, and this year.

Of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Yeah, Right!........

Of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most.

Tell me about it. Me Too..... BTW, Everyone Stay Safe and Have a Good Weekend, I'm off to the Maryland State Firemens Association Convention in Ocean City. Be back in about a week. Anyone between NY, Norfolk Va, and Pittsburg, drop on down. It's like the Expo in Baltimore, except everything is Free........ (No Admission to get into anything).......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information