Forum Member

Default Royal Dragoons perform "Is this the way to Amarillo?"

Outstanding!!

See it here.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

The original video for the tune was recorded by well known UK comedian Peter Kay and featured a host of TV personalities "following" him as he ran on a treadmill in front of a video screen.

It went to number one in the UK charts for about 6 weeks, and word got about. So much so that a Royal Dragoons Sergeant, the "star" of this one, decided it would be a great morale booster for his unit, based in Iraq.

I think he deserves a medal for what he's done. You have to take your hat off to the guys in the Portaloos at the end!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Saw that a couple weeks ago. Thought it was quirky, but funny. Nice to see the guys in the sandbox have a good bit of morale and still have their sense of humor.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Excellent!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

You know, at least in my experience, you could never bring those dang Brits down. I served two tours over there with them, and they were the funniest bunch of guys I've ever met. They had much worse living conditions than we did, much worse food and their equipment seemed like hand-me-downs from previous wars. And while a lot of American troops were complaining about everything, the Brits actually were much worse off but served with a smile every time. Their camp was about a mile down the road from ours, and we'd invite them up on Saturday nights just to boost OUR morale. From those experiences, a Brit will always be welcome in my home anytime.

Forum Member

From my own experiences in The Corps, there are two groups of guys I would want on my side from any other nation:

The Brits (especially the Royal Marines) and the Ausies. Some of the most dedicated, hard core guys I have ever met. To the man.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Default Kind words

Plattsfire-Thank you for those kind words--while not having played with "Bang sticks" and worn the itchy suit (British Army Battledress circa WW2 was made out of knitted wirewool and fish hooks) only to school-(Army surplus clothing was cheap and obtainable just after the war and most of us lower socio economic lot wore it)--the same sort of lunacy and cameradiery is, or was, the norm during my 20 yrs in the LFB. Nice to know you enjoyed the English experience.

P.S Note the PC bit? Lower socio economic==we just called it "Ain't got a pot to P*ss in!"
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Having been a fan of the Flying Circus and Benny Hill I laughed my arse off.

For a couple of troops to put it together and choreograph it as well as they did is incredible.

Hats off to the Brits for this one.

I just love how there is some comedy in an environment that wouldn't be conducive to a lot of humor.

Permanently Removed

YO! I GOT ONE BETTER! CHECK THIS OUT!

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kosovo.html

-BOU
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-14-2005 at 01:16 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    YO! I GOT ONE BETTER! CHECK THIS OUT!

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kosovo.html

-BOU
    Great video. I had seen the Iraq video a couple of weeks ago after reading about it in Army Times but the Kosovo video was new to me. Thanks for the link.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a clip from UK's Comic Relief night a few months ago, it shows the video by Manchester Comedian Peter Kay who inspired the Troops video. It features Kay with other UK Soap stars, Chats show hosts, Kids TV presenters etc...

The real funny bit is where tiny Comedian Ronnie Corbett falls over at the end...totally unrehearsed the look on the others faces is priceless..

Love what the troops did!!! Brilliant, hope it inspires others to do the same as the Norwegians have now done.

Peter Kay Clip
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SteveDude
    Here is a clip from UK's Comic Relief night a few months ago, it shows the video by Manchester Comedian Peter Kay who inspired the Troops video. It features Kay with other UK Soap stars, Chats show hosts, Kids TV presenters etc...
    That is funny. But I like the troops version better.

Thread Information