Angry 9/11 Holiday pay

I'm sorry but there is NO WAY anyone besides the FDNY,PAPD,NYPD and EMS of NYC,Fairfax Co.and Arlington Co. should receive a 9/11 holiday pay. Just another person trying to benefit from the horror of that morning. How about you get the holiday pay and donate it to the familys of 9/11.I happened to be called mutual aid from Westchester Co. to the scene and noone I responded with would ever ask to get paid for that day. Sorry Kentucky, You get the thumbs down from me and many others in the North East.

Forum Member

Default Re: 9/11 Holiday pay

Originally posted by xsquid
    I'm sorry but there is NO WAY anyone besides the FDNY,PAPD,NYPD and EMS of NYC,Fairfax Co.and Arlington Co. should receive a 9/11 holiday pay. Just another person trying to benefit from the horror of that morning. How about you get the holiday pay and donate it to the familys of 9/11.I happened to be called mutual aid from Westchester Co. to the scene and noone I responded with would ever ask to get paid for that day. Sorry Kentucky, You get the thumbs down from me and many others in the North East.
    How about Alexandria, DCFD, and Montgomery Co. FD, all of which sent assets to the Pentagon while still needing to be ready for attacks in their first due on that terrable sunny September Tuesday?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I'm with ya there.. I don't see how anyone but those directly involved with or directly affected by 9/11 should benefit from anything stemming from the incident. Seems like the situation once again is being taken advantage of.
    Local #10

Charles Stephen
    Eric Jeffrey
    Born 7/24/07
    My new twin boys that I love even more than being on the job!

Forum Member

Hold on one second. Don't forget that "Patriot Day" is a national holiday now recognized on September 11th of every year. Now, firefighters negotiate paid holidays into their contracts every year. Why would firefighters across the country not be "recognized "(for lack of a better term) on a day that is remembered for the sacrifice firefighters made for their country. Firefighters getting a paid holiday for Patriot Day seems even more appropriate to me then, say, Presidents Day or Labor Day.

Just food for thought.

P.S. IIRC, Lexington is not the first FD to have this in their contracts. I believe Omaha, NE has had Patriot Day in their contracts since its inception.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Don't forget.. a contract is signed by two parties... perhaps the city offered this holiday in lieu of some other monetary item....

edited for spelling
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-14-2005 at 07:43 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Cranston RI FD also gets 9/11 as a paid holiday.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cranston RI FD also gets 9/11 as a paid holiday.
    Not until 2006 and as Gonzo said, it wasn't the FD's idea. The city offered that while looking for something else.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

TC, not as an attack, just made the statement. I knew that the city gave it to you guys. I didn't know it goes into effect next year. Sorry for any confusion. Puff
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Lexington, KY works a 24 on 48 off shift. That averages to 56 hours a week. In the contract negotiations the subject of working more hours than the police in the city was brought up. The two options to fix the issue was more pay or more time off. The cith went with the later that does not cost them more money.
    This is the disturbing part of the entire issue. According to firehouse rumor when asked which holiday we (I am a Lexington Firefighter) wanted to add the team asked for September 11. The response from managment was "What day is that?" People are already forgetting. I can only assume that our e-board wanted to make sure that we never forget. And for those concerned about the "pay" part we get time only. No extra cash.

Thread Information