Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Impact resistant drywall

Are there any departments out there that have tested impact or abuse resistant drywall? I am presently working on a drill on this topic, I have a lot of information from manufacturers, but am looking for information from those who have actually tested it in an emergency wall breach simulation. Any help would be appreciated.

Stay safe!

Jim Beutel
    Firefighter/EMT
    Evesham Fire-Rescue

I am working on the same drill so if you come up with anything good, keep us posted.

I have all the spec sheets, test results from the manufacturers, but I want to put together a drill that puts reality into it so my guys see just what they are up against.

I more or less was going to do a short lecture and then use our already built wall props and instead of replacing the sheets with standard sheetrock I was going to use the new stuff and let the guys figure out how to complete the same tasks we have done in other drills (breach and get through reduced opening) only now they are up against this impact resistant stuff so let see what it takes. Is the laying back and kicking your foot through going to work? Axe? etc. You get the point.

If anyone has something more interesting than that, pass it on before we get up against this stuff on a run with no prior dealings.

See if this helps you any.

http://www.sfcav.org/2005News/Rienfo...02.pdf#search='FIREFIGHTER%20SAFETY%20AND%20 LAMINATED%20DRYWALL'

or this one

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...f78b7c89ebf3ea
    Last edited by fireguy919; 06-15-2005 at 11:59 AM.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Asst Chief Ed Murphy of Roberts Park was listed as the contact for information surrounding their tests. I can't remember where I found his email listed as the contact, maybe Fire Engineering? Anyway, he was listed there as the person to email to get copies of the reports. I don't want to be the person to cause his Inbox to fill up so I won't post it here, check over at Fireengineering.com, it's probably still there.

To make it easier on him I told him I'd put a page on my web site that he could point people to for downloading them so he didn't have to email all day long. I should have it up shortly, I've got a lull going on at work. There were two tests performed, a breach and a burn. Both very informative. He has final approval on what I make the page look like, so I'll be running it by him before I make it public. Keep your eyes on www.FireGraphics.org, I'll put a link to the new page and reports there.

- Brian

Nice. Something else we have to worry about.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

I'm guessing this is the same as the plexigass-like drywall?

I think this is one of those items up there with Burglar Bars. Good for the homeowner, sucks for the fire victims/rescuers.

Originally posted by adamkhalil

I think this is one of those items up there with Burglar Bars. Good for the homeowner, sucks for the fire victims/rescuers.
    I suppose it could be in homes at some point (good for houses with kids!) but for the most part the info I have gotten is that it is in high traffic places like schools, hospitals, public type places that take a lot of abuse.

Any idea how it behaves in a fire, particularly in comparison with traditional drywall?

Nice, take an oceanfront restaraunt (which I have a few of), use this laminated drywall, add in the Hurricane proof windows (that are a b$tch to vent) and you're making our lives wonderful.

I have a local lumber yard that has been very helpful with the "windows", I'll have to see if I can get me some of this drywall next.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Last I checked the prices were about $8-9 a sheet, compared with about $6 for regular 1/2" drywall. Not that much more considering the wear and tear it will take.

There are two reports from Roberts Park on my web site, the Wall Breach and the Burn Test. A/C Murphy OK'd my posting of them for download, and they're located at www.FireGraphics.org. He is sending me a videotape that I will attempt to use my fancy video capture card on and put on the site for download as well. It could then be burned either to a Video CD or DVD format (for those with DVD Burners) for training. Most DVD players will handle VCDs. That will be a few weeks though, I'll post again when I Git-R-Done!
    Last edited by BC79er; 06-15-2005 at 06:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The firegraphics site will not come up. However I do have a video on CD rom that addresses wall breach and its combustibilty. You can email me at SFI60CFI@aol.com if you would like further info.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It will now. Good old string parsing made the '.' at the end of the sentence part of the URL.

"Microsoft: even we don't know where we're going today."

MembersZone Subscriber

There was an article about this new drywall and what was required to breach it about 6 months ago in "FireNotes" which is the Fire Department Training Network's newsletter. Contact Jim McCormack at FDTN for more info.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Impact resistant drywall = Get a bigger truckman.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Impact resistant drywall

Wow. Lots of good information out there. If anyone else is interested, I am working on a powerpoint presentation for my department, and will gladly make it available for review to others when I am done, and it is approved by the Evesham powers-that-be. So far, Georgia-Pacific and US Gypsum have been very helpful with my research, so props to them. This stuff looks like it's gonna be more in the commercial market, than in residential, but who knows where it may end up. I've also found there are multiple types out there, from additional paper backing types as a cheap version, to versions with fiberglass fibers mixed right in with the gypsum, to Lexan backed sheets. Of course, there's no way of telling which it is once the contractors put it up and paint it. They are all fire rated, and shouldn't behave much differently, although you may find puddles of plastic at the bottom of the Lexan backed sheets after it melts.

Anyone interested in my presentation, when it's done, can contact me at jbeutel@eveshamfire.org .

Thanks for all your help!!!

Stay safe,

Jim Beutel
    Firefighter/EMT
    Evesham Fire-Rescue

Thread Information