Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar

Default Strangest excuse for a wreck?

What is the strangest excuse / reason you've been given for a car wreck?

Went to a single vehicle rollover yesterday. Lady was out of the car refusing treatment. When the medic's finally coaxed her into the ambulance, she revealed that she had swerved to miss a gopher (prarie dog) and lost control.

Around here gophers are pests. Most people will make a point of running the little suckers over when they get a chance.

Got any good stories? I'd love to hear them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If its smaller than the guard rail, run it over.

Car ~100' off road in woods

[me] "So what happened?"
    [pt] "There was a telephone pole!"
    [me] "In the road?"
    [pt] "Uh huh. And I had to swerve."
    [me] "So did this telephone pole jump out in front of you or something?"
    [pt] "Umm yes."
    [me] "oooooh kaaaay"

Then there is the classic "I just don't know what happened. I have 4 wheel drive!!"... said by the driver who's $47,000 SUV is at the bottom of an embankment burning and exploding in a cloud of smoke during a blizzard.
    Last edited by nmfire; 06-15-2005 at 01:20 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Well...We had a head-on collision one night. The two occupants of the one auto (a man & a woman) were found unconsious. Interesting thing was, his (driver)pants had the fly open and she (front seat passenger) had her head in his lap. Hmmmmmm, distracted driver?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Not really strange, but stupid... Last spring we had a woman crash into a telephone pole because while driving she was setting her clock ahead an hour for daylight savings time.

Now I looked at her clock after she revealed this tidbit and found it was one of those that you had to put a ballpoint pen in and then use the tune +/- button to change.

What exactly makes you think you can use 2 hands to do that and still keep the car on the road?!?!

Job security at its finest!

Oh and on the small animal thing, I remember(very blurry..) back in High School a girlfriend of mine was out on drivers education and slammed on the brakes and swerved for a squirrel. The instructor all had her pull off the road and all but ripped her out of the car screaming at her that "its an F'in squirrel. You're willing to get in a head-on collision and kill yourself over an F'in squirrel! Get out of the car, I'm driving back to the school!"
    Last edited by FFTrainer; 06-15-2005 at 01:36 PM.

This one is my favorite that I can remember. Was a Corvette crash. The guy was going well over a hundred when it went bad. The car went in to a ditch hit a telephone poll. Houston we have a break up. 250 yards of debris from this car. Three major pieces. As we was getting him out of the center section of the car he saidĒ Hey man put that sh#t down youíll f*ck up my car. The officer asked him what happened. I dropped my beer and tried to pick it up before it spilled in the car. When he looked up and seen he was talking to a trooper was a Kodak moment.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We had a boating accident start a grass fire on the interstate once. Also had a BBQ pit start a grass fire after a traffic collision.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Default Details?

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD
    We had a boating accident start a grass fire on the interstate once. Also had a BBQ pit start a grass fire after a traffic collision.

Both of those sound like they've got interesting stories.. Pick one and elaborate. There is a stupid human trick in there somewhere.

Forum Member

Day after a snow storm, the roads were still a little slushy in places, a high school senior followed a slow moving pick up 6 miles on a pretty straight road with plenty of places to pass. He got to a point where he couldn't take being behind this old fart, so he attempted to pass. On the inside of the sharpest corner in town, and within sight of the 4 way stop at the end of the road. The corner had 3 inches of rutted slush, he almost hit another vehicle head on but spun off the road and took down a poll. He tried to get the trooper to give the old timer a ticket for not going faster.

A few weeks later, while at an accident involving the poll across the street from that one, a car took that newly replaced poll down as we looked on, and the driver said that the fire department shouldn't be out there causing this distraction to the drivers.
    That one is still known as the rubber necker incident.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Actually the long story for both are kinda boring, it's the short story which is the best.

First story was a guy that sales boats was picking one up in Austin, I think and taking it boat to Dallas. Of all the places to occur, there was a single rope holding the boat on a trailer and this is one of those large ski boats, the rope breaks and the boats comes off the trailer. The prop skids on the highway and sends sparks everywhere. Of course a grass fire erupts. The bottom of the boat is wrecked and this was before we had hydraulic tools and wrinches so we had a heck of a time helping this poor chap get the boat back onto the trailer.

Second story was a collision when a pick up hauling a BBQ pit/trailer combo hits a car that pulled out in front of it. The car goes off into a pasture while the pick up went into a ditch. The BBQ pit seperates from the pick up and goes through a chain-link fence and strikes a brick house. The pit still had hot embers in it and they fell out starting a grass fire that threatened the house.

So odd things that happen in an odd place. And people wonder why I call McLennan County the largest unfenced mental facility in the world.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Default Damn Spiders....

Head on serious MVA...All because a spider crawled across the windshield....Some very lucky people in this world I tell ya....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Guy reaching for his fish sandwich that was on the pass. floor. He hit a semi head on.

We had a guy and his son racing their cars home from a bar last summer...son lost control, ended up sideways in the middle of the road and dad t-boned him in the driver side door. Both vehicles required extrication to get the patients out, son was critical and had to be flown out. Dad told us the story before going unresponsive himself and having to be flow out too. That's where drunk and stupid will get ya!
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber ffemtPAJ's Avatar

had a woman run a red light and slam head on into a guy making a left hand turn (with the green arrow). She told us that her Volvo was brand new and she wasn't "comfortable braking with it yet".

Also one time came across a hit and run in a rural intersection. Witnesses said the driver of one car ran into the woods. After extricating the two people from the other vehicle, a bloody guy comes out of the wwods and yells "that's my car, it was stolen an hour ago and I've been looking for it". Stangely, his shoes were still in the car and he was barefoot. His wounds seemed to coordinate with the damage to the dashboard and steering wheel. When asked what happened to him, he said he was sitting at home drinking a beer when he heard people steal his car. He chased them, but was abducted by a gang of teens and taken into the woods and beaten up. When asked if he was sure he wasn't driving (everyone on scene ID'ed him), his response was "i couldn't have been driving, I don't even have a license!".
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=36410

Damn Deer - The news anchors are now advising people to just hit the deer.

In my full time job as a police dispatcher, some of the patrols on my shift were having a "higher than average" number of Police vehicle accidents. On the reports, a good number of the drivers reported, "swerved to avoid a black labrador dog", as the reason for the damage to the vehicle. This went on for some months, until one day, a black labrador dog was run over and killed by a member of the public.

The Commander later issued a memo stating "The county black dog is now dead. There will be no more black dog Police vehicle accidents".
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

About 2yrs ago we had a late night single car MVA in the ditch. When we arrived, there was no one "home" and the car (a newer Mustang) was all locked up. Only after the Chief ordered the window to be broken to disable the battery did the driver and (eventually) the passenger show themselves from the bush.

The reason for the crash was the "boulder" in the middle of the road. Apparently the driver tried to "swerve" around it and found the ditch instead.

A few attempts to get the 'real story' later and .... oh yes, alcohol was a factor in this incident.

We still have not located the boulder that was in the middle of the highway that night.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

We went to a wreck several years ago with a drunk who hit a tree head on. Fifteen minutes later after cutting the door off with the jaws, he was still inside "driving" the car.

We had the hiway patrol tell us of a rollover accident on a bright sunny afternoon on a straight piece of hiway.

The driver was a well know drunk, and he only blew .16 which for a drunk isn't bad..

They couldn't figure out why he wrecked.

His passenger wasn't saying much either.

They both went to hospital, and upon a full examination, the female admitted to having something lodged inside her. It turned out to be the top of a glass pop bottle.

She was giving him a little show from the back seat, and he was giving her his full attention.

How much is true? I wasn't there, so I can't say. It is not beyond the realm of possibilites

MVA with entrapment

Car into bank after spinning on 110 degree corner in the wet.

On arrival I went up to the car with the OIC, while he did a scenic check, I looked at the vic.

his window was down, and the drivers door not damaged, conversation went something like this.

"Gidday sport, I am with the Big Red Truck over there, how yer doing."

"Oh mate, I am p!!sed and st0ned, bugerd if I can figure out this damn door handle."

I opened the door, checked him over, while laughing my head off. Further conversation went something like..

"Sorry about this mate, didn't mean ta get you guys called out for me."

"No worries mate, we were just doing silly things like eating, being with our families, ya know."

"Geez am I going to be in trouble here?"

Slight pause while I was laughing.

" Ya think?"

"Eh mate, the cops aren't coming are they?"

"Pal, you were reported as TRAPPED, you told the nice people trying to get you out you were stuck. There is an ambulance and Police on there way as we speak"

"BUGGER"

He was way to gone to damn well walk, we had to carry him out of the car.

After he was in the ambulance, the Police found the deal bag, the beer, and the BOX of pron (deliberate typo) movies in the boot.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information