Question Are you scared ???

I've heard it a million times "If you ain't scared you're crazy" or something along them lines.. To be honest with you I'm not scared when I'm standing in the dark smokey hallway..Nervouse, Excited, Maybe, but I don't fear the beast.. I got A nice scar that goes up my arm and shoulder of a 3rd degree burn I got when I was younger and playing with fire.. I respect the hell out of fire, And have personally witnessed it's wrath.. But through training, A little experience, and a trust amongst the brothers along with me for the ride.. It don't scare me anymore... More respect than fear.. Am I crazy?? Or are there more like me?

Oh, and I also don't get an adrenaline rush, on the way to a call or during, More like an adrenaline dump after it's over.. Kinda like oh ***** did I just do that.. So how many of you all are like this?? or share with us how adrenaline or fear play into your role as a FF..
    Follow Me !!

MembersZone Subscriber

SORRY AXE, I WOULDNT GO IN WITH YOU.

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Ok, So how does fear play into your role as a FF.. I mean are you scared as soon as the tones drop, at the door, or what..
    Follow Me !!

Forum Member

You need the fear, its what makes you stop and think about a decision and whether its a good idea. If you dont have it, you will find yourself in a bad spot.
    Saying that, the fear isnt enough to stop you doing your job, but it gives you enough arrest to not do something stupid.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

To elaborate a little, I'm not saying I've never been scared or never will be scared.. Just for the most part I don't think about while I'm getting dirty.. I guess it can kinda stick in the back of my mind sometimes.. And the respect is where my thought process comes from, Respecting its capability's but for the most part not fearing them..
    Last edited by AxeHole; 06-16-2005 at 03:45 AM.
    Follow Me !!

Forum Member

Fear is the seed, respect is the fertilizer, combine them with the water of faith in one's abilities and courage emerges...
    damn, that's pretty profound, isn't it?

As one progresses in their career, the adrenaline rush one gets from hearing the tones drop diminishes to the point of hearing the tones drop and your reaction is "damn, not another run"...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-16-2005 at 08:19 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

First off why are you standing in a smokey hall way. But that is a hole other topic. If you are getting out and saying sh*t did I do that. You are not think when you are in there. Everyone has close calls. Sounds as though you have a attitude that you are better than the fire. Donít believe that for one minute. Fear is what will save youíre *****. You think after being bitten by fire once in life to leave a scar that you would fear it. If it doesnít bother you maybe you should not enter for a while. Do the guys you enter with know that you have no fear to enter. I hope your crew can keep you under wraps inside and get you to back out when it get scary for them. Respect for the fire is not enough.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Profound?...................

As a matter of opinion, Very profound, Capt. I'll be quoting you in my next book. Fear? You have to have SOMETHING going in your head, but is Fear the right name for it? I like Concern better, not because I'm picky about terminology, but because Fear, to me, is not the same feeling....... If I am truly in Fear of something, I'll be avoiding it, mainly because I don't want to get SOMEONE ELSE hurt as a consequence of my actions. (For instance: Advancing a hose line into a structure with a lightweight truss roof and an extended preburn time). I'll take a CALCULATED risk for a positive gain, such as a Rescue of a viable victim, But I'm not the champion of lost causes, and if you're on my job, you won't be either.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I think "Fear" is the not knowing what could happen and "Concern" is knowing what it(fire) is capable of and having the wisdom to go or not to go. I don't think you have to fear it, just be concerned and cautious with what it is capable of doing to your life and that of your crew.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

former FH.com member

Fear, no not usually. Appropriate caution? You bet your ***. Complacency can kill you and your crew. By the way AxeHole, not to be nosy, but how old are you and how long have you been fighting fire?

Forum Member

Like the Truckie from San Antone says. There have been times that I have been scared. Thank goodness that only happens very very rarely. Fear dosent save anyone. Fear causes panic and panic is a killer. Knowledge,experience and guts keeps us alive.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Fear, no not usually. Appropriate caution? You bet your ***. Complacency can kill you and your crew. By the way AxeHole, not to be nosy, but how old are you and how long have you been fighting fire?
    Caution and or concern, seems to be were I put respect.. Like MIKEYLIKESIT said Fear leads to panic, That's the way I look at fear.. I'm just 19, By no means a grizzled vet or anything.. I graduated HS at 17 and been doing it since.. So about 3 yrs. into it and I'm just trying to learn more about the mind of a FF and how it changes over time, Not a very covered topic.. Oh, and to the question about my crew.. It's split, some fear it, some respect it, and others don't talk about.. I never intended to come here and act like some crazy dude who fears nothing.. Probably bad wording on the initial post.. More so to understand exactly how everybody deals with their emotions on the fire ground.. Concern/nervousness, seems to describe how I feel most..
    Follow Me !!

Forum Member

DING DING !!!! I think we have the answer............uhm at any rate, I think Rich summed it up best for me.......appropriatley cautious........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Permanently Removed

Default Yes...

Yes. I get scared. I get scared when I wake up in the
    morning and she is still in my bed and I can remember her
    name.

Coyote ugly? Maybe.

Forum Member

As one progresses in their career, the adrenaline rush one gets from hearing the tones drop diminishes to the point of hearing the tones drop and your reaction is "damn, not another run"...
    isnt that the truth !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Fear is the seed, respect is the fertilizer, combine them with the water of faith in one's abilities and courage emerges...
    Well if that ain't a signature line waiting to happen.

My calls usually go like this:

1. Tones drop and I think; Damn, I shoulda peed five minutes ago.
    2. As I run out the door for a known Fire or MVI/Medical, a little adrenalin seeps in, and my mind races with curiosity. What's waiting for us at the scene.
    3. As I approach and see a plume of smoke, or wrecked vehicle my mind usually says, awww shiiiiit!
    4. The rest is a blur of activity as the training kicks in.
    5. Once the call is over and we are packing up, I'm usually beamin with pride over my boys effort. Packing hose and patting a few backs.
    6. Once back home, I think Damn, I shoulda peed forty-five minutes ago.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Mmmm,
    I was about 19 when I came out of Training School, and I was posted to the East End towards the end of the 'War years'... I was a young kid who suddenly had an enormous reponsibility to save the lives of people in trouble, behave in a responsible and safe way and god help me, if one of my older and experienced colleagues got into trouble I'd have to help him.

The fires that I stood and watched regularly as a kid from the safety of the sidewalk, were now mine and mine alone (as the one holding the nozzle) to deal with. They were hot close up, the smoke was thick and ugly. And some poor sould might me trapped inside...

Was I scared? You bet I was....

As busy as it was, if the bells went down for a proper fire (opposed the car fires, rubbish etc) then I would get butterflies. If I was one of the crew 'going in' in BA then that would make me feel a little nauseous and nervous, thinking about that body you may brush up against in a few moments time. As time went by, that fear of responsibility changed, but I still had a healthy respect for the fire and still felt a good buzz in my stomach and no matter what time of night or day was as awake as you'd ever be the minute I got to a job... that is why I am here now, with a few small scars from hot embers, a few late night aches from the odd fall and a few memories of close shaves...but here nonetheless.

I was your age... I grew up in a tough Neighbourhood, something like London's version of downtown Brooklyn near the Dockyards. I was no shrinking violet. Yet here I was working with tough men doing a topugh job, and first out it scared me. If you are saying you have no fear, then you are either cool to the point of being dangerous (does this also transpire to driving or other activites?) or like a lot of young blood on the job...you are scared witless and just want to hear a few of the grizzlies say;

"It's OK to be scared, I was scared too once and still today have a healthy respect for fire"

There you go I said it.

As a footnote, as moved up the ranks, I began to get a little "Oh for F***s sake!" every time the bells went down, unless it was a 'good' job. Then I moved up to a similar rank to Chief and all of a sudden every time my pager went off it was definately something... I'm only paged on workers. Now, if my pager goes off in the middle of the night at home, I am ordered to a make up incident (Multi alarm), I get up and get in the car and on my way I see the inevitable dark smoke in the night sky....my adrenalin still rushes, I get a little bit of butterflies... it is still there my friend, and the day it goes is maybe the day I should retire.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok Axe, when I read your first post I thought you might be one of those nothin scares me, chargin in freelancers that i've had to deal with from time to time over the years. I always ended up spendin half my time fighting the fire and the other half tryin to reel in the hero. But after reading on I realized you were just tryin to learn something.

A while back I was readin a "CLOSE CALLS" article where these firefighters fell thru the floor and into the burning basement. The next thing the writer knows, he's on his knees, surrounded by flames and his unconsious partner is layin next to him. Theres no way out so its dying time! He gets to his feet, grabbin the nozzle in one hand and his 200 lb partner in the other hand and starts sprayin a path to where he thinks an exit might be. He uses his legs to kick rubble out of the way. Fightin thru half of the basement he looks up and sees his rescuers commin thru a hole they made. He says that all his fear left him at that point and with it his adrenaline went too. He drops the hose and his partner and falls on top of him, unable to lift his arms towards his rescuers.

IMHO- You can be "appropriatley cautious", "concerned" or "respectful" BUT SOMETIMES FEAR IS THE ONLY THING THATS GONNA SAVE YOUR ***!!!

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Thread Information